ADAT to Computer

Vet250rdr

Hello all, I've searched quite a few threads on this subject but unfortunately I could get all the information that I'm in search of. I have a bunch of older material on ADAT that I would like to rework. I have a 16-bit "blackface" Alesis ADAT 8 track (assembled in 1995) and essentially what I would like to do is transfer each track on to my computer so I can adjust levels and EQ. I have a Steinberg UR44 interface and run a pretty low line version of Cubase. So you all are aware I have pretty limited experience with this hardware and software. Can this be done by using an optical out from the ADAT to a preamp and into the interface? I'm half tempted to replace the interface at this point. Let me know what you guys think. Thank you in advance

-Kevin-

You can use the analog output of the ADAT and transfer six tracks at a time through the Steinberg. That would be a bit inconvenient and mean an extra stage of D/A and A/D.

The most affordable option I can find for digital transfers is the Audient iD14. It's $300. You might be able to find a used USB interface with ADAT for less. Something like a MOTU 2408 and PCIe card would do it if you have a desktop.

Doesn't it have lightpipe/TOSlink?

Use that and stay digital all the way, if you can.

MOTU 2408, especially an old one, can be had on the cheap. Well, the PCI card is harder to get these days, though.

Behringer makes a 8X preamp that takes TOSlink in. A/DA8000? or something like that? But that's back to squirting analog.

I don't think that lightpipe to USB is hard to come by is it?

I don't think that lightpipe to USB is hard to come by is it?

If you don't want any analogue connections you could go for the RME Digiface USB but that's probably overkill for this situation as it has 4 lightpipe inputs and 4 outputs. Boulder Sound Guy's suggestion of the Audient iD14 is probably the best for a mainstream interface although Focusrite do something similar with an ADAT input too. I just did a quick search and came up with MiniDSP's MCHStreamer kit

MCHStreamer - USB Audio Swiss-Army knife - Multichannel PCM/DSD/PDM/ADAT/TDM/SPDIF interface

which appears to allow ADAT input and output for just $115 but I've no idea how good it is.

which appears to allow ADAT input and output for just $115 but I've no idea how good it is.

If you're going straight into a computer and remaining in the digital domain, then it doesn't really matter how good it is because all it really does is simply convert data formats.

When the pre-amps get involved, that's when various component quality issues actually matter.

Thanks for all the replies! I have been reading up on all the suggestions and my head is spinning! Watched a few walkthroughs and reviews on the audient id14, quite impressive. The 2408 is another product on my radar as well. I went to a local music shop and the owner asked if I would be interested in a MOTU 828 (MK I think) for around $50. Not sure. Any thoughts on this?

If you've got Firewire and there are drivers for the 828 then I don't see why not. You're not using any of the analog stuff, just the Toslink to feed ADAT signal in. It's digital so it shouldn't be subject to any changes as long as the data transfers cleanly.

The 2408 doesn't use Firewire.

It uses Firewire connectors and cords.

It uses Audiowire, which is MOTU's connectivity between the PCI card and the 2408.

If it's merely a driver issue, I'd like to learn about that, too. Because I've never seen that done.

The 828 is a FireWire interface. It's older so I worry about drivers. The 2408 needs a PCie host card and uses a FireWire cable but a different digital protocol, Audiowire. It's also older but I'm using it on a Win7 machine now.

If you're going straight into a computer and remaining in the digital domain, then it doesn't really matter how good it is because all it really does is simply convert data formats.

I'm always worried about recommending something that I've not used myself and that no-one else I know has used. In the early days of audio interfaces there were all sorts of gotchas and you couldn't take reliable digital transfers for granted. One interface that I used had a habit of swapping SPDIF channels over if the computer took too long to service an interrupt.

Most of the big manufacturers seem to be better now but there are still things that can come back to bite you - like I've just found out that an ADC that I use only outputs 20 bits of useful data rather than 24. I've never heard of the MCHStreamer before so I assumed that it was from a small operation who could still be finding their way around building audio interfaces - a bit like some of the ones I bought 25 years ago. It could well be an excellent product but I wouldn't want to unreservedly recommend it without testing it first.

Any old ADAT 8 channel input soundcard will do the job, some work on firewire 1394a connections, others on USB2, search for a used MOTU 828 even the MK1 version. Even a old cheap Digi002 / Digi003 would work. MOTU drivers work on recent windows & mac machines, even Digi drivers work on ASIO or
OSX. Focusrite soundcard drivers are also mostly up to date.

Other 8 channel ADAT soundcards often only work up until Win 7 / older OSX such as M-Audio & Presonus.

You'll need a computer that can recognise Firewire, or buy a expresscard / PCIe firewire connector with a Texas Instrument 1394a chip. Then record into your DAW software of choice. Maybe your version of Cubase can work with an ADAT soundcard inputs or if not just get a trial version of Reaper to record your ADAT material.

USB2 ADAT soundcards are more money, they work with more recent computers so you might not need to buy a firewire expresscard / PCIe.

It'll cost you for the soundcard / firewire connector & maybe upgraded DAW software, so you might be better off finding someone to do the transfer for you for a cheaper price?

Does your ADAT machine play those tapes properly? Many of them are not working nowadays.

I'm always worried about recommending something that I've not used myself and that no-one else I know has used. In the early days of audio interfaces there were all sorts of gotchas and you couldn't take reliable digital transfers for granted. One interface that I used had a habit of swapping SPDIF channels over if the computer took too long to service an interrupt.

Most of the big manufacturers seem to be better now but there are still things that can come back to bite you - like I've just found out that an ADC that I use only outputs 20 bits of useful data rather than 24. I've never heard of the MCHStreamer before so I assumed that it was from a small operation who could still be finding their way around building audio interfaces - a bit like some of the ones I bought 25 years ago. It could well be an excellent product but I wouldn't want to unreservedly recommend it without testing it first.

I don't think anyone would question the nobility of your intentions, I know I don't.

And you're right, when there's a conversion involved in or out of analog, then yes, lotsa gotchas. But take the ADC or DAC out of the mix and it's pretty ordinary.

Especially these days when memory is cheap, speeds are fast, and conversions within the digital domain are much faster than real time.

Digital to digital is the safest and easiest of all possible transfers.

Any old ADAT 8 channel input soundcard will do the job, some work on firewire 1394a connections, others on USB2, search for a used MOTU 828 even the MK1 version. Even a old cheap Digi002 / Digi003 would work. MOTU drivers work on recent windows & mac machines, even Digi drivers work on ASIO or

Other 8 channel ADAT soundcards often only work up until Win 7 / older OSX such as M-Audio & Presonus.

You'll need a computer that can recognise Firewire, or buy a expresscard / PCIe firewire connector with a Texas Instrument 1394a chip. Then record into your DAW software of choice. Maybe your version of Cubase can work with an ADAT soundcard inputs or if not just get a trial version of Reaper to record your ADAT material.

USB2 ADAT soundcards are more money, they work with more recent computers so you might not need to buy a firewire expresscard / PCIe.

It'll cost you for the soundcard / firewire connector & maybe upgraded DAW software, so you might be better off finding someone to do the transfer for you for a cheaper price?

Does your ADAT machine play those tapes properly? Many of them are not working nowadays.

I ended up getting an 828 at the local shop today. I have the new firewire port on my Mac and, so a new cable is on order and will be here on Tuesday. Got home and realized I never tested the ADAT tape for functionality (life gets in the way sometimes). Popped the tape in, pressed play and got the "error 7" flashing. The shop I got the interface from told me to bring it in and they cleaned the head (for free) but couldn't get the error to clear. Going to contact the seller as they advertised this unit was "tested and functioning properly". Everything about this "project" has kinda gone sideways, sometimes you have to sit back and laugh.

-Kevin-

The rubber gets old in those things. I have a couple of ADATs and three DA-38s sitting at the studio that haven't been fired up in years. I don't think I'd put a tape that I cared about in them without servicing them first.

The rubber gets old in those things. I have a couple of ADATs and three DA-38s sitting at the studio that haven't been fired up in years. I don't think I'd put a tape that I cared about in them without servicing them first.

Ya, definitely a lesson learned. If I can't get it resolved with the seller then I may have the unit sent out and repaired.

-Kevin-

okay, i'm absolutely not trying to rub your nose in anything, but yes, it's a lesson learned.

Thinking of your situation in the early morning while trying to sleep, it came to my mind I have a number of pieces languishing on an old OS9 Mac because of the dead end software I had been using.

It startled me to realize that I too need to transfer and right soon before I get into a similar circumstance. I lost a couple of crappy pieces to a Tascam 238 losing a capstan motor. These pieces on the Mac aren't anything the world will scramble to hear, but they're important to me.

You can use the analog output of the ADAT and transfer six tracks at a time through the Steinberg. That would be a bit inconvenient and mean an extra stage of D/A and A/D.

The most affordable option I can find for digital transfers is the Audient iD14. It's $300. You might be able to find a used USB interface with ADAT for less. Something like a MOTU 2408 and PCIe card would do it if you have a desktop.
Hello, Boulder Sound Guy! I need something to transfer ADAT tracks to the computer, but it is a laptop. I eventually will want to build a full studio again, but for now I am just trying to get back to my ADAT tracks after many years of neglect.
Most of my tracks are already in digital form (tranferred many years ago), but some still need to be transferred, plus I may create some new ones.
So I googled and your recommendation of the audient iD14 came up. I found it on amazon, but in the description there, it sounds like it might not be compatible with a laptop. I will just be experimenting at first, so won't need much memory. I may just use garage band or audacity until I can get myself set up with something more professional (more a time than money issue at this point).
Could you advise me as to whether I could use the Audient iDI4 with a Mac laptop in the interum? Thank you...Betsy Wellings
PS. I created a polished CD with an ADAT (and with the help of various sound engineers) back 1996, when I was in my prime! But I have many more songs that don't need much work, and others that need a lot.

I agree. It might be better to just have a service transfer unless you have a ton of data. Contact Dave Powers at Downtown Digital if you're in the US. I'm sure he could help you...

Back