Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The actual ACT of recording to computer

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    This isn't a question about which soundcard or computer, etc. It is about the process you use to actually record into the computer. Specifically, recording, playback, monitoring.I guess my 2 biggest questions are around LATENCY and MONITORING.

First, is latency an issue when you are recording while listening to previously recorded tracks? If so, how on earth can you accurately record a new track with the right timing? How would you overcome this issue? (My computer: 750mhz, PIII, 128 ram, 30 gig hd - will buy either Delta 1010/Vegas or Aard24/Cakewalk).

Second, what is a typical wiring set up for monitoring either for mixing or for adding additional tracks. Neither soundcard has a headphone jack. For monitors, I assume you use the outs in a stereo pair. When you have 8-10 outs, I assume that is for multiple monitor set ups, outboard gear/effects etc.? I don't plan on buying an outboard mixer at this point.

Over the last year I've learned alot from these boards and made the transition to digital recording (Fostex FD-8) and am now making the jump to a computer-based system. My last hurdle is to understand these processes. Thanks in advance.

Adam

PS: While I'm on this board, I couldn't resist a computer question. Should I consider a 2nd harddrive for audio? More RAM? The computer is for work use too so I have other stuff on the computer - anything I should lookout for?

Thanks
    Since youre using your comp for work, too, you might consider a dual-boot scenario. And Id DEFINATELY consider a 2nd HD. and More RAM always is nice

Have you been having latency problems?? Cus I read about it, but it never happens to me.. so I think maybe its an urban myth.. See if you get any, THEN worry about it.

And Indeed, you use a stereo pair for monitoring. Probably the first two outs. You can get a handy cord to plug el stereo pair into your monitors of choice.

xoxo

Thanks
    Yean Camn glad I'm not the only one: What is this latency thing all about? The only time I ever really see it is when I run stuff like softsynths, i.e. trying to play them from a midi keyboard.

When recording in Cubase there's never a prob. I assumed this is because the asio setup knows you machine's inherent latency (the time to route the signal from inputs through motherboard etc etc) and can therefore easily COMPENSATE for it.

Or have I got it all wrong (again)? :*(

Thanks
    Camn and Klytus, Thanks for the replies. Yeah, reading about latency really gets me worried but I don't hear too many folks on these boards discussing it. That's why I was curious. Is it really not an issue?

I guess I should see how everything works when I install the soundcard before I worry but the latency issue just seemed like it could be a big issue. In every software review I have read they always are discussing latency and the things you can do to try to minimize it.

I will look into the dual boot issue --

Thanks again,

Adam

Thanks
    First, let me throw in a comment that I just added to another thread: the dual-boot thing is not necessary in my opinion. If you have a handful of regular apps and games that you run besides your audio software you shouldn't really have any trouble running it all under the same OS. I'm using two hard drives and just to keep things clean I tend to format and reload my OS drive every few months anyway (some dead weight always builds up, apps I never use, old games I don't play), but I've never run into a problem doing it this way. I've done dual boot systems before for other reasons and rebooting to switch OSs gets really old really quick. Not worth it to me. I only have a Celeron 375 too, with 128MB of RAM and two 20GB hard drives. Hell, it even ran fine all on one hard drive until a few days ago when I added the second one.

Latency *can* be a problem. Depends on the recording software and the drivers. I've experienced both sides of it. I have a MOTU 1224 and I used to use Cool Edit Pro which doesn't support ASIO drivers. There was some latency, but through trial and error I found the correct value to feed CEP in one of the setup/options dialogs to compensate for it. When I switched to Logic Audio I didn't have the ASIO drivers installed yet and latency was killing me. I couldn't get the setting right to fix it. Then I reinstalled the MOTU drivers, this time selecting the ASIO drivers, and all latency issues went away without messing with any settings or anything. So ASIO seems to take care of that stuff if you use hardware and software that supports it.
    [url]http://www.offmachine.com[/url]
    [url]http://aisle4.pair.com/drumming[/url]
    [url]http://aisle4.pair.com/project[/url]

Thanks

Wink

Diragor -- Thanks for the reply. I believe that Cakewalk uses proprietary technology called "wavepipe" instead of ASIO. Not sure if this is a good or bad thing.

So latency DOES exist --- I was thinking it was indeed a legend like the lochness monster or bigfoot.

Adam

Thanks
    I like my wife when she's all LATEXY, but I think that's something different. This is interesting convo, though.

Thanks
    Wait wait wait.

The term latency is sort of ambiguous in this realm.

There will always be some delay (latency) when mixing on a computer. With non-ASIO you will typically notice anywhere from 1/4 to 1 second of delay when adjusting audio properties (levels, effects, etc), depending on how you set your buffering up. Using ASIO drivers substantially decreases this time, but technically, there will always be a small amount of latency.

The kind of latency that people always freak out over is what adam is worried about. That is, "will what I'm recording be in synch with what's playing back." This is often referred to as "lag". The answer to this question is almost always "don't worry about it". Only in rare cases is lag ever a factor...usually whne you're cutting corners...using a cheap soundcard, trying to synch two cheap soundcards, using an underpowered machine etc. If lag is a problem, most software will allow you to compensate for it.

Personally I use a stupidly cheap AudioPCI card that can be had for 30 bucks or so. I had lag problems with a cheaper ESS card. Buy quality and you'll get quality results.

Really, if lag were a serious issue, then nobody would be recording on computers. So take all the "warnings" you hear with a grain of salt.

Slackmaster 2000
    Slackmaster 2000

Thanks
    Slack, good to see you're alive man.

Thanks
    Slack -- Thanks -- you are exactly right on target. I am less concerned about the lag when applying effects etc. but was most concerned about having new tracks recorded not syncing with existing ones. Like I said, for the life of me I couldn't figure out why no one ever talked about it except every article or product review. Thanks again!

Adam

Thread Information