Acoustic wall treatments: Will they ruin the paint on the wall of my studio?

pisces7378

I just got a shipment in of Auralex acoustic wall foam. I have never installed it before. Therefore I have naturally never worked with that TubeTak Pro adhesive that it comes with and thus have no idea of sticky that stuff really is.

Should I mount the foam directly to my appartment walls? Or would it be smarter to like go get some really thin ply-wood or panneling, mout it to that, and then screw THAT into the wall studs? I can quickly spackle over little screw holes in the walls when I move, but I don't want to have to repain the entire walls because the sheet rock ripped apart when I tried to take down the tiles. And I don't want to ruin the acoustic tiles when I pull them down either.

I don't particularly WANT to go the ply-wood route. So I don't want to do that unless I HAVE to.

What do you guys out there that have experience with this dense foam stuff think I should do?

Use T-Pins (available at WalMart/Target) and stick them in the valleys of the foam to the wall. Four pins per piece of foam should do the trick. I did this in our last townhouse and the landlord didn't seem to have a problem with all the little holes left behind (for all they know, there were for hanging artwork!). I also installed the foam this way in our new house (which we own) because we hopefully will buy a bigger house in 5-10 years. The foam didn't seem to mind the little holes in it (they're pretty tiny!)
Good luck!

pisces7378 said:
I just got a shipment in of Auralex acoustic wall foam. I have never installed it before. Therefore I have naturally never worked with that TubeTak Pro adhesive that it comes with and thus have no idea of sticky that stuff really is.

Should I mount the foam directly to my appartment walls? Or would it be smarter to like go get some really thin ply-wood or panneling, mout it to that, and then screw THAT into the wall studs? I can quickly spackle over little screw holes in the walls when I move, but I don't want to have to repain the entire walls because the sheet rock ripped apart when I tried to take down the tiles. And I don't want to ruin the acoustic tiles when I pull them down either.

I don't particularly WANT to go the ply-wood route. So I don't want to do that unless I HAVE to.

What do you guys out there that have experience with this dense foam stuff think I should do?

There is a forum specifically for this topic - Studio Building and Display

gordone....

Are these T-pins like the same kind of things that people use to keep the little arm rest fabric covers on their couches?

They are not some kind of thing that you stick through and then spread open are they?

And brzilian... thanks for the heads up.

Mike

will T-pins work on concrete walls?

at the moment I will be going the double sided tape route.

Here's my foams piling up at the studio till I figure things out. :)

Attachments

• foam2_small.jpg
    foam2_small.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 55
If T-pins are what I think they are then I can not imagine that they are well suited for tazcking into concrete walls without bending in the middle and/or completely dulling the point.

I just put up acoustic foam squares in my room and here's what I did:

The finished size of each panel was 2' by 4' (24"x48" or 8 squares).

I cut six panels 16"x48" of cheap melanine hardboard. Hung them on the wall with 2 small wall anchors (you could use only one..)

You can attach the foam with the standard spray or caulk-gun type glue, but I used double-sided tape.

I found that standard double-sided carpet tape does not have the adhesion to hold up the squares. I used a stronger thinner double-sided tape from the model airplane industry called "Ohio Superstar's FASTAPE wing sheeting tape" (I don't know what it is originally produced for, but us R/C guys use it to stick balsa to foam cored wings.... it WILL NOT let go.) $11 for a 50ft. roll. Talk to your local hobby store owner or you can see it here: http://www.ohiosuperstar.com/access.htm

TimOBrien said:
I just put up acoustic foam squares in my room and here's what I did:

The finished size of each panel was 2' by 4' (24"x48" or 8 squares).

I cut six panels 16"x48" of cheap melanine hardboard. Hung them on the wall with 2 small wall anchors (you could use only one..)

You can attach the foam with the standard spray or caulk-gun type glue, but I used double-sided tape.

I found that standard double-sided carpet tape does not have the adhesion to hold up the squares. I used a stronger thinner double-sided tape from the model airplane industry called "Ohio Superstar's FASTAPE wing sheeting tape" (I don't know what it is originally produced for, but us R/C guys use it to stick balsa to foam cored wings.... it WILL NOT let go.) $11 for a 50ft. roll. Talk to your local hobby store owner or you can see it here: http://www.ohiosuperstar.com/access.htm

sounds cool, any pics to show? :)

Back