Absolute Beginner

jnorden

Hi
My daughter (19yr) is in a struggling rock band who have asked me to help them make a CD for promotional use in our area (and maybe open a few doors further afield). They approached me because I know a fair bit about computers, but although I've read a bit on digital recording, I'm still very much in the dark.

Using my computer (1600+AMD, 256RAM, SBLive, 60Gb HD, 32x10x40xCDburner) as the main component, and doing most of the production with software, I need to know what hardware and software do I need to get the sound from the mics to the burnt CD?

The mics will be mostly SM57s, with probably a Rhode for the girl vocalist. Even if I record each person separately, I still need to record 6 - 8 tracks simultaneously when I record the drum kit.
I have access to a disbanded recording studio, with everything still in place except for all the electronic gear.

Thanks

I would recommend letting them go to a pro studio and cut a demo "live".....will probably cost less than just a soundcard that you will need to pull this off......

now if you are wanting to get into recording, that may be a different story.....

being a drummer myself I'm a fan of my own record one piece at a time technique. But I don't go crazy and I think I'm pretty good.
. . . but I also have the 8 in's necessary :) if it's simple stuff just record the snare. . . then bass drum. . . then toms. . . then highhat. . . then cymbols. . .etc

but you only really need 3-4 mics to do a live drumset 1 kick 1 snare and 2 overheads or just 1 kick and 2 overheads because the snare will bleed into it.

you can probably pick up a shrinkwraped SONAR 1.3 on ebay for $200 or maybe a Cakewalk Home Studio for $50 and an aardvark 24/96 for $300 new 4 1/4 inch ins and just buy adapters for mic cables

but If the band is really good. . . or are willing to live with mistakes a live demo at a local studio will probably sound better. A band here in columbus ohio did that a few years ago at the most expensive studio in town $250 an hour. they practiced 8 hours a day for two weeks leading up the the session and they walked in and told the engineer to not even stop recording and the'll just pause between songs. they played 12 songs this way and we're only charged $500.

peace
sam
zekthedeadcow@hotmail.com
http://www.track100.com

If this is only a one-time deal, then your money would probably be better spent at a small studio. My old band did this a few years ago and recorded all the rythm tracks live (drums, bass guitar) then overdubbed vocals and leads. You will have the benefits of an engineer who presumably knows what he/she is doing, and a wide array of mics to choose from.

Now, if you have an interest in getting into home recording, that is a different story. Or, if the band is not so great (no offense to your daughter!) and will need to do many multiple takes to get a good one, then your studio cost will rise fast and it may be worth buying the sound card and learning the ropes of home recording.

The Aardvark Q10 has 8 inputs with nice preamps, and comes bundled with Cakewalk Pro Audio 9.0 recording/mixing software. This is what I would get if I were in your position (costs around $750). But then again, I own one so I could be biased.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply. Bit of food for thought there. I would like to have some basic recording gear even if to just help the band out from time to time when they want to hear how a new song sounds or if they want to update their demo. They also had a bad experience with a recording studio in Brisbane (Australia), and are a bit warely of studios in the range that they can afford.
Thanks again
Aussie Dad

Back