Aardvark vs Digi

Roaf

Dumbass
Looking to put together a PC based recording system. Trying to decided between the Digi 001 (w/ Protools LE bundle) and the Aardvark directpro 2496 (w/ Cakewalk 9 bundle). I want am only recording analog signals (for now). The big difference I see is the # of inputs and sample rate.

aardvark: 4 xlr/qtr inch inputs w/ 4 mic preamps 96 kHz
Digi: 8 inputs w/ 2 mic preamps 48kHz

I would like to put a lot of mics on the drums so the 001 makes sense, but will I notice the difference in sample rates?

Does the software bundled with each card make one more attractive over the other?

Would an external mixer make up for the aardvark having only 4 inputs?

Would buying external mic preamps be a plausible (technically and financially) solution to the Digi 001 only having two?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I dig deeper into this.

Thanks up front.

Roaf

1. You probably won't notice much (if any) difference between 48 and 96kHz.

2. The Protools software is much more attractive that Cakewalk. It is a lot easier to work with!

3.An external mixer wouldn't really "make up" for the Aardvarks 4 inputs, but you would be able to submix instruments.

4. yes, especially if you are recording lots of analog sources...such as drums.

Another thing to keep in mind if you go with the Digi 001 is that you MUST follow the compatibility documents when you buy (you should probably build) a computer.

Roaf said:
Does the software bundled with each card make one more attractive over the other?
Roaf

well, yes, that is the point....but typically the software bundle is useless.....if i'm going to put out a lot of money on hardware , it should work with pretty much any software.

Hey RTZ;
Thanks for the info on the Digi 001. Especially the last part. I am looking to buy a PC for home but it will first and foremost be used as a recording system so the PC will be built around the platform I decide on. As far as recording drums I guess I should have asked whether to get the most inputs from the hard ware (break out box) or to mix the drums externally and send that mixed signal into the PC. Don't think I will need a separate recordign track for each drum - then again you guys would probably know better than I.

Thanks again
Roaf

Back