aardvark direct pro user.... Advice on recording DI Bass needed

Rassoodocks

okay, so as the subject says.. i'm a direct pro 24/96 user...

It's a great little unit, i love it to death, perfect for my semi jazz songs... However, i'm having real trouble recording bass guitar... the bass in question is a spector with active circuitry and passive pickups...

i've tried to following methods to capture the bass..

1 - Direct from bass into aardvark, using the basses preamp/aardvark preamp... The results have been a fairly 'thick' tone and rumble on the low e.

2 - Di from bass amp(swr goliath) into aardvark... The results have been a little more compressed than straight from the bass, but still, lacking power and, rumbles on low e.

3 - Mic'd cab... I've tried a combination of my mics, single rode nt1000, dual rode nt1000, rode nt1000 as a room mic, i've also tried my shure bg4.1 dynamic mic, and my akg d550... The best results i've got are with the dual nt1000's... however, they're not really made for recording bass, they too have trouble holding the power of the bass...

So, that's what i've tried... i'd really like to hear from people who have had similar problems recording bass into an aarvark, it seems a common theme... I've been looking at getting a DI box... maybe the behringer di100... which i've seen mentioned on here before... or maybe a sansamp, or even a bass pod...

Mister bass player is buying the behringer UltraBass BX1200 bass amp, which has a DI output on it, which may or may not be of any use. Considering behringer are a company closer associated with studio applications i'm hoping it's better than the swr output... This said, i'm really just looking for a known solution to this problem...How can i get that powerful bass without the rumble? How can i get it to sit in the mix without shitting over everything else? i'm prepared to go for whatever will fit the bill...

I'm thinking i need some kind of Di/preamp/compressor... bass effects i'm not keen on, i write jazz, i go for the natural sound in most cases... i just need something that will get a big hefty bass signal in there that sits in the mix nice and tightly...

Thanks in advance,
Rory.

sorry about the dual posts

sorry about the dual post guys... i just thought it would help getting info from daw users and recording techniques... *shrug*

i actually posted in recording techniques and then remembered that no one ever seems to reply in here... so, i put it in computer soundcards, where i got a lot of help when i was looking for a soundcard...

sorry if i've stepped on anyone's toes.

Back