8x Preamp Comparison (interface)

MooreDogger

I just posted about the M-Audio Octane and since then I've found 2 others that i'm considering. What would you suggest out of these and why (ie which has the best pres and which has the best convertors)?

PreSonus DigiMAX LT
M-Audio Octane
Mackie ONYX 800R

Most onboard pre's are not that good. All-in-one packages tend to have low-end pre's, especially anything on the cheaper end of the spectrum. The only hardware I can speak of that has decent built-in pre's are the Aardvark Q10's and Digidesign's gear which I believe uses focusrite pre's. Although Aardvark has since gone out of business, so even they are sketchy now. Your best bet is to save every penny and buy external pre's like a Great River. It will last you and only appreciates in value. Good Luck!

Motu 896,I know it's not in your list BUT if you have the $$ get it.It was wicked easy to use and the sound was Pro Quality/Firewire.

MooreDogger said:
I just posted about the M-Audio Octane and since then I've found 2 others that i'm considering. What would you suggest out of these and why (ie which has the best pres and which has the best convertors)?

PreSonus DigiMAX LT
M-Audio Octane
Mackie ONYX 800R

Where is the RME OctaPre D??

wow, it should be on there. I always just assumed it'd be more expensive. How do these mic pres compare to the ones on the firePod?

aardvark q10 diredct pro vs. presonus firepod

i'd be interested to found out the answer to that question as well -

I've found a b-stock aardvark q10 diredct pro for £400 but have been looking at the presonus firepod alot recently - which retails at £480-500 in the UK. The aardvark seems to be of a better quality from everything i read, but there do seem to be alot of people who have had problems with this card and rack breakout box. The fact that ithe aardvark is PCI appeals to me - but the presonus does seem like a relaible product but maybe that's becuase it is still quite new.

The firepod comes bundled with Cubase LE but the aardvark comes bundled with Cakewalk's Pro Audio 9.0. I hav only used cubase and nuendo before so just wondered how these two compare.

Ultimately if u had £500 which interface would you go for???

Back