Thread: 8i6 anyone use one?

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks

8i6 anyone use one?

Sign in to disable this ad
    I am wanting to know if I can use mine "stand alone". I just want to power it up and have lines 3/4 in and 3/4 out to drive a balanced pair across the room.

I have downloaded some software, not tried it yet but precise info seems thin on the ground.

Dave.

Thanks
    Hi Dave,
    I don't know about Focusrite gear but with the presonus and motu interfaces I had/have, I could plug them in to the computer and set up what I wanted in their bundled mixer software,
    then those settings would 'stick' when I used it as standalone.
    For example I plugged in the Firestudio mobile, set it up such that there was direct monitoring from mic input 1 to mains out 1+2, then took it and used it as a standalone preamp in front of an active speaker.

Maybe relevant; Maybe not.
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steenamaroo View Post
    Hi Dave,
    I don't know about Focusrite gear but with the presonus and motu interfaces I had/have, I could plug them in to the computer and set up what I wanted in their bundled mixer software,
    then those settings would 'stick' when I used it as standalone.
    For example I plugged in the Firestudio mobile, set it up such that there was direct monitoring from mic input 1 to mains out 1+2, then took it and used it as a standalone preamp in front of an active speaker.

Maybe relevant; Maybe not.
    Thanks S. I dare say you are thinking "why don't you just 'king TRY it dave!??" I shall but I have to dig out the AI, THEN a suitable 12V PSU, get it back on a PC ..I thought if anybody had tried this, save my lazy ass 'fing about!

Yonks ago I had an M-A Fast track pro and that would do this and would work as a S/PDIF A2D D2A converter. My son had it on stage as a local mic pre amp that could send a feed to a PA mixer. My purpose is to take feed from a tape out on an amp and send it 5mtrs to the KA6.

Dave.

Thanks
    Found this......

focusrite-scarlett-8i6-and-18i6-review_revised PDF download link
    "Like the Focusrite Saffire Firewire interfaces, the Scarletts use a computer application, Mix Control, to control many of the functions. I’ll cover it detail in a
    bit, but it’s worth mentioning a couple of things here. First, like the Saffires, the application is based around a DSP mixer which provides very low latency input
    monitoring. Unlike the Saffire series which is based on hardware DSP for mixing, and hence once set up, can stand alone without a computer connection, the
    Scarletts leave some that that heavy lifting to the host computer. You can’t get any sound out of them without the USB connection.
    Update –
    I discovered purely by accident that the 8i6 does indeed pass audio from the front panel inputs to the monitor and headphone outputs,
    without a USB connection. Maybe this came with a firmware update or perhaps it always worked this way. This means that it can function as a standalone
    mic preamp! In addition, if you set up a mix when connected to the computer then pull the USB cable (or shut down the computer), it’ll retain
    that mix. However after cycling power, be a plain stereo preamp. Not a bad bonus, though."
    Mark.......

Thanks
    Thanks Mark! Sounds good I shall give that a go in the morning.

Dave.

Thread Information