8 kHz static noise in my audio recordings

8 kHz static noise in my audio recordings

Hi,

Everything is in the title. You can listen to the noise in the attachment file.
The interference sounds like a cheap power supply radiation.
But I don't have any of this except the plug of my audio interface.
No cheap pedal board power supply or s*** like this.
I have to say the noise is recorded in the audio, this is NOT a monitoring issue.
No defective cable or cheap microphone.
I don't understand.
To you, where does it come from?

My config :
Win 10 x64 Desktop PC
32 GB RAM
Motherboard : MSI Z97 Gaming 5
CPU : i7 4790K 4.00 GHzView attachment AUDIO PARASITE 1.mp3
Audio interface : Tascam US20x20
GPU : Nvidia Geforce GTX 950

You have a very annoying whine there!

What steps have you taken to identify it?

For example, have you disconnected cable and mike and just recorded whatever noise your interface? Similarly, have you tried doing this with the gain turned right down?

Can you hear it in your speakers when not recording?

Do you hear it when recording, or only when you play back?

What steps have you taken to identify it?

I've just recorded in PT12 without playing or saying anything in the mic. The mic was plugged and the trim knob was up.

For example, have you disconnected cable and mike and just recorded whatever noise your interface?

No, I didn't try this. But I guess there won't be noise if I disconnect the mic and cable. I will try.

Similarly, have you tried doing this with the gain turned right down?

No, I will try to.

Can you hear it in your speakers when not recording?

Yes I can hear it in my heaphones/speakers when not recording, and when I record the noise is recorded in the audio.

Do you hear it when recording, or only when you play back?

Both. I hear the noise when recording AND when playing the recorded audio clip back.

Is there any suggestions/solutions if the noise is still here with or without the mic and cable plugged? And with the gain knob turning down?

Thanks so much for your help.

But I guess there won't be noise if I disconnect the mic and cable. I will try.

At this stage it's best not to guess. It's possible the noise is in the mike (or the cable), and disconnecting these will determine that.

Unplug the mike but leave cable plugged in. If the noise stops, it's the mike. If it doesn't stop, then unplug the cable. If it then stops, it's the cable. If it doesn't stop, then we have to llok at interface and computer further

At this stage it's best not to guess. It's possible the noise is in the mike (or the cable), and disconnecting these will determine that.

Unplug the mike but leave cable plugged in. If the noise stops, it's the mike. If it doesn't stop, then unplug the cable. If it then stops, it's the cable. If it doesn't stop, then we have to llok at interface and computer further

Thanks again, I will try this.

More things to know :
- The issue appeared with other mics/cables too
- The 8kHz noise is an interference so it appears for a few seconds, then disappears for a few minutes, and then reappears for a few seconds, etc.

Here are some news after a few tests:

When the noise appeared, I unplugged the mic and the noise stopped.
When the cable is still plugged without the mic, no noise too.
So it seems to come with the mic BUT I have tried 4 other different mics (one by one, individually) and the issue is the same: no noise with only the cable and the same 8kHz noise when the mics are plugged...
But always randomly: it appears, it disappears, it reappears etc.
I don’t think my mics are all faulty, they all have been checked and tested by a professional a few weeks ago and everything was fine.
So, what do you think?
Thanks again

Try the same tests with a laptop and if you still get the interference try another location.

Dave.

Try the same tests with a laptop and if you still get the interference try another location.

Dave.

I really don’t understand... I have just made some tests in another room, with my laptop (same audio interface, same cables and same mics) and still a f***** noise interference at 8kHz...

So what is the big deal with my configuration? I’m a bit annoyed and perplexed.

I really don’t understand... I have just made some tests in another room, with my laptop (same audio interface, same cables and same mics) and still a f***** noise interference at 8kHz...

So what is the big deal with my configuration? I’m a bit annoyed and perplexed.

The common reasons for spurious noises are,
Ground loops caused by multiple earths and desktops are always earthed.
Graphics cards.
USB supply noise.

A battery powered laptop eliminates the first two and it would be a massive coincidence for both USB supplies to produce exactly the same noise!

The almost inescapable conclusion is that you are immersed in an RF field of massive field strength (has to be strong to get past a balanced, shielded microphone) Please post a sample of the noise.

My first solution suggestion would be a close to 1:1 transformer in the mic cable. MOST desireably one with an inter-winding screen.

Dave.

The common reasons for spurious noises are,
Ground loops caused by multiple earths and desktops are always earthed.
Graphics cards.
USB supply noise.

A battery powered laptop eliminates the first two and it would be a massive coincidence for both USB supplies to produce exactly the same noise!

The almost inescapable conclusion is that you are immersed in an RF field of massive field strength (has to be strong to get past a balanced, shielded microphone) Please post a sample of the noise.

My first solution suggestion would be a close to 1:1 transformer in the mic cable. MOST desireably one with an inter-winding screen.

Dave.

Here is a sample of the noise from my desktop PC : View attachment AUDIO PARASITE 2.mp3
As I said, it appears, it disappears, it reappears, with no particular frequency.
No EQ, no comp, no volume boost on this file. Nothing.

We're a fair way into this thread ow, and I can't remember what has been tried.

However, if the noise stops when you disconnect mike from cbale, and does so with different mikes, but comes back erratically when connected, it's possible that mike + cable cable are acting in combination as an aerial, and picking up interference from somewhere in the vicinity. When Dave suggests 'another location' I think he meant someting further afild than the next room.

But I would suggest you try is a different cable. Even if this one seems ok, there maybe a weakness in it somewhere, specially as you've tried different mikes and it still happens.

I did indeed mean somewhere several clicks away Gecks, sorry not to be clear there.

I am also mistaken regarding the cable? I had gained the impression that all the hardware had been swapped. Yes, a cable with an OC shield might well be fine on a dynamic in ordinary circumstances but its RF immunity will be next to bugger all in the presence of a strong field.

Justfort! Baby monitor or mains borne internet kit?(AKA ***t that should not be allowed IMHO)

Dave.

I used to get random noise in my desktop/email system. I found out that it was due to a paging/radio antenna about 1/4 mile away. The noise would be there constantly during the day, but things got quiet at night when there were few pages going out. Apparently it was due some poorly shielded cable. When I redid the system's speakers, and went to wireless mouse and keyboard the noise magically disappeared and hasn't been heard since.

That doesn't sound like rfi or any other electronic interference to me. I think you have an oscillation from a failed component in your interface. Either that or the cabling from it in & out of your computer is bad.

I used to get random noise in my desktop/email system. I found out that it was due to a paging/radio antenna about 1/4 mile away. The noise would be there constantly during the day, but things got quiet at night when there were few pages going out. Apparently it was due some poorly shielded cable. When I redid the system's speakers, and went to wireless mouse and keyboard the noise magically disappeared and hasn't been heard since.

There are two antennas about 1 kilometer (0,6 mile) from my flat.
Do you think it could be this?
I already have a wireless mouse but my keyboard is wired.
And, what do you mean by "I redid the system's speakers"?
Thanks for help.

We're a fair way into this thread ow, and I can't remember what has been tried.

However, if the noise stops when you disconnect mike from cbale, and does so with different mikes, but comes back erratically when connected, it's possible that mike + cable cable are acting in combination as an aerial, and picking up interference from somewhere in the vicinity. When Dave suggests 'another location' I think he meant someting further afild than the next room.

But I would suggest you try is a different cable. Even if this one seems ok, there maybe a weakness in it somewhere, specially as you've tried different mikes and it still happens.

I have tested two different cables with the different mics and the problem is still the same.

I did indeed mean somewhere several clicks away Gecks, sorry not to be clear there.

I am also mistaken regarding the cable? I had gained the impression that all the hardware had been swapped. Yes, a cable with an OC shield might well be fine on a dynamic in ordinary circumstances but its RF immunity will be next to bugger all in the presence of a strong field.

Justfort! Baby monitor or mains borne internet kit?(AKA ***t that should not be allowed IMHO)

Dave.

yes, I have tried two different cables with all the mics, but what do you mean by "a cable with an OC shield"? What is "OC"?
No baby monitors here, but there is an Internet router in the flat. Should I try with this powered off?

That doesn't sound like rfi or any other electronic interference to me. I think you have an oscillation from a failed component in your interface. Either that or the cabling from it in & out of your computer is bad.

If this is that, why the noise stops when I unplug the mic?

yes, I have tried two different cables with all the mics, but what do you mean by "a cable with an OC shield"? What is "OC"?
No baby monitors here, but there is an Internet router in the flat. Should I try with this powered off?

"Open Circuit" and yes, try shutting down the router but I doubt it is the source unless it is particularly crap!

Dave.

If this is that, why the noise stops when I unplug the mic?

I don't know but if different mics and cables don't eliminate the noise, it has to be something else. If you've used the same interface on 2 different computers and still had the noise, the interface and it's interconnects are the next place to look.

Back