8 inputs means 16 inputs?

Chewie

When a sound card boasts 8 inputs do these nessesarily mean they are all stereo? Because I was looking at a card with 8 inputs and there was unit, which I assume is to connect the inputs, had what appeared to be 16 holes, which I futher assume were the inputs. Is this so?

Most prosumer cards have mono inputs. These are typically coupled in a stereo pair (e.g., inputs 1/2 = 1 stereo pair, 3/4 = another pair).

Consumer cards (e.g., soundblaster) typically have a single stero input. These can be turned into 2 mono inputs using a Y cable (2 mono ins, 1 stereo out).

As Ed described, what you are looking at is in all probability a breakout box with connections for 8 mono inputs and 8 mono outputs.

Chewie said:
had what appeared to be 16 holes, which I futher assume were the inputs. Is this so?

Sadly not all holes are inputs. Some holes are inputs and outputs but that is up to the individual owner.

Re: Re: 8 inputs means 16 inputs?

TexRoadkill said:

Sadly not all holes are inputs. Some holes are inputs and outputs but that is up to the individual owner.

are we still talking soundcards:eek: :D :p ;)

I realised later that it had to be 8 outs and 8 ins. I guess I was blinded by too much hope.

But I wonder, is there a way to make these outs, ins?

Chewie said:
I realised later that it had to be 8 outs and 8 ins. I guess I was blinded by too much hope.

i guess if your an audio engineer i don't see why not

Chewie said:

Only during the dating stage, most holes are inputs. Once you get married, that shit ceases immediately.

Chewie said:

And as I'm not then what could I do?

Unlike in these guys depraved social experiances, ins are ins, and outs are outs. If you need more than 8 ins, your gonna hafta get another card.

Funny story: whenever I hook my tape recorded up to my computer, I always forget to put the rca on the tape to output, so I end up wondering why it's not working. But the funny thing is that it actually works, albeit very poorly, but it actually records out of an input.

I used to get something like happening with my home stero but that was because they shared the same return wire.

Back