3rd ssd in a dell optiplex 9010 possibility

I guess people are funny and want things compact in an apartment.I'm one.So my question is can i put a third ssd storage drive in a dell optiplex9010? I kind of figure someone is going to say use an external drive but i want to use adapters or some kind of rig that will allow me to use the two ssds(250gb and500gb) that are already in the drive bays plus add another 1tb or 2tb ssd in the one caddy that can hold two ssds. If there are adapters out there maybe(because i wouldn't know their names)someone could give me a link to a carrier of cables and adapters along with the cables name or configuration. Thanks

Hi,
I took a quick look; It seems like the 9010 has three Sata ports.
Two of them (black and blue) are Sata III and one of them (white) is Sata II.

Sata II is capable of up to around 240MBps - Approx half the speed of Sata III.
That's not blazing fast but it's still fast. I'd be happy enough using SataII for a large long-term backup drive.

I don't know if the model number 9010 has been reused, or has many revisions, so the best advice would be to open the case and look for yourself to be 100% sure.

If you see blue+black+white sata ports then it's as I described and you'd just need to make sure there's an available Sata power cable in there, or a spare molex power connector.

You can buy adapters to split a 4 pin molex into 2x sata power.
Hard drives, are relatively low power devices so there's no problem powering two from the same place.

For physically mounting the drive, I have no idea how many spaces there are in your case but I wouldn't worry, if the machine stays in the same place and doesn't get moved around.
I have two SSDs just lying flat inside the bottom of my case.

Hi,

That's not blazing fast but it's still fast. I'd be happy enough using SataII for a large long-term backup drive.

I don't know if the model number 9010 has been reused, or has many revisions, so the best advice would be to open the case and look for yourself to be 100% sure.

If you see blue+black+white sata ports then it's as I described and you'd just need to make sure there's an available Sata power cable in there, or a spare molex power connector.

Hard drives, are relatively low power devices so there's no problem powering two from the same place.

For physically mounting the drive, I have no idea how many spaces there are in your case but I wouldn't worry, if the machine stays in the same place and doesn't get moved around.
here are some pics. The one shows an empty sata port and the other shows the power hookups to the two ssds currently in the two caddys and bays.I would like to know if those two black power connectors are snap on or do you have to bare the wires? If so where can i get those connectors online? Also you asked about caddys and the answer is that the one caddy on the left holds two 2.5 inch ssds. 20191112_114839.jpg20191112_114822.jpg

Hi,

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com...ata+power+cable+adapter&qid=1573579401&sr=8-9 could this be what I'm looking for?

Yes, the product you linked will give you four sata power connectors in exchange for one.
I'm not sure whether the pictured ones in your computer are snap on or what, but the splitter you linked is the easy and safest solution.

Your image of the board is different to the images I initially saw when searching.

If you have a manual to confirm, or can confirm through testing/checking, that'd be ideal,
but it seems like the blue+black are Sata III and the white pair are Sata II.

You mentioned two drives but there are three cables so I guess an optical drive is plugged into the black sata port?

If that is all correct I'd go

Blue - System disk - Sata III
Black - Main (most frequently used) storage - Sata III
White - Optical drive - Sata II
White - New storage drive - Sata II.

Please take all with a pinch of salt. It's always tricky finding specs when there are many revisions out there.

Can o' worms, maybe, but that board has two pci-e slots.
Assuming at least one of them is available you could have a pcie SSD, or a pcie card giving additional Sata III ports.

I have one here that cost very little and gives me four ports, although technically it can only operate two of them at Sata III max speeds.
The drives connected bench about 480MB/s each way.

It all depends on the speed of the pcie slots and the board configuration, and more specific info would be needed,
but just throwing it out there ;)

Question about sata2 and sata 3 cables and sockets

Just supposing, i want to add a 3rd ssd in my dell optiplex9010. And then i want to switch the data input socket using the optical drive which is sata3 and use it to power my new 1-2tb ssd. Will that work? Will it interfere with anything in the optical drive? I don't use it very much. And does the new 1-2tb ssd have to be sata3 to gain better function off of the sata 3 socket in the computer? I mean can i use a sata2 1-2tb ssd and plug it into the computers' sata3 socket and gain more speed? How my computer is configured is 2 sata2 sockets and 2 sata3 sockets. The sata three sockets are being used by the main drive and the optical drive.one sata2 socket is being use by an extra ssd.
One other question.Does Windoes10 Pro recognize storage ssd as high as 3tb. I heard where the computer has no limits to the amount of storage but Windows setting may not show how much storage used and storage left up to a certain amount.

I was wondering if i could buy a sata3 cable use it with a new specifide sata3 ssd and use the optical drive sata3 socket fir the new ssd or ---could a sata2ssd in the sata3 socket with a sata3 cable work? Do the Sata3 cable end and the sata 2 sockets match?

With Sata you have the power connector and the data connector.

Both are the same whether the port or drive is Sata I/II/III.
The difference is the maximum possible speeds. Approx 125/250/500 MB/s respectively.

If you put a super-fast new SataIII SSD in a Sata I port, for example, it will be limited to approx 125 MB/s max.

In your setup I would make sure the optical drive is in a Sata II port because optical drives are slow. It would be a waste of bandwidth to use up a Sata III port for a disc drive.
I'd put your least used/long term storage drive on the other Sata II port, because transfer speeds are less critical for that drive.
It'll still be fast; Just not quite as fast as it could be.
Your other two ports are Sata III. I'd use those for System, and main storage.

Your main system disc is already connected to a Sata III port.
The only caution I'd give is to leave that there, in that specific port...The system knows it should be booting from that port.

Last edited:
Does Windoes10 Pro recognize storage ssd as high as 3tb. I heard where the computer has no limits to the amount of storage but Windows setting may not show how much storage used and storage left up to a certain amount.

As far as I know Win10 will accept up to 2TB hard drives no problem.
For anything bigger than that the drive has to be initialised with GUID Partition Table.
There are guides, for getting set up, that you can follow.

SATA3 is backward compatible with SATA2. The only consequence of hooking up to a SATA2 connection would be dropping speed from a max 600MB/S to 300MB/S. Moving and optical drive to SATA2 will not hurt you in the least. Conversely hooking a SATA2 drive to a SATA3 connection will only give you SATA2 performance. As for the cable, they perform the same, but the SATA3 cable now has a locking mechanism to secure it better.

The 2TB limit is due to the original limitations in the MBR disk scheme. As Steen said, going to GPT will eliminate that limitation.

One thing that confuses me is the power cable has five lines in my computer but the three way power adapter(not the data cable) i want to order has four lines.20191112_114839.jpg

Last edited:
At present you have three devices using three power plugs and, presumably, there is no extra/spare.

If that's correct, you need an adapter that turns one sata power plug into two, giving your system a total of four usable sata power plugs.
The adapter you linked on the previous page would give you more than you need, but it doesn't really matter.

One thing that confuses me is the power cable has five lines in my computer but the three way power adapter(not the data cable) i want to order has four lines.

Oh, I see what you mean now...Didn't catch that at first.
Sata power is sata power.
Chances are the two black cables are both ground and the adapter you're talking about just uses one conductor for them.

If you want to post a link to be 100% sure go ahead but I doubt there's a problem. :)

Oh, I see what you mean now...Didn't catch that at first.
Sata power is sata power.
Chances are the two black cables are both ground and the adapter you're talking about just uses one conductor for them.

If you want to post a link to be 100% sure go ahead but I doubt there's a problem. :)
Post a link to what?

Back