32-bit - 64-bit? Vista?

frank_1

Hey, without researching hours of material, can someone please give me the low down this 32-bit and 64-bit compters? I don't even know what the concept behind them are. I will be buying a computer soon and i have Cubase 4. so i need to know some info, any info! Oh and about Vista; I heard there were problems with that? True? Better for audio then XP?

Thanks.

All new pc's are 64 bit. But most software is still 32 bit. Not to many apps take advantage of 64 bit computing. Newer music production software does and supports multi-threading (multiple cores). XP is better at this point for music production at this point. This all relates mostly to the availability of Vista drivers for hardware. You can get the software to work in Vista, but the peripherils (sound cards, converters, hardware) need drivers to communicate with the software and pc and these are called drivers. Some companies are taking advantage of this and are not supporting Vista with new drivers for older equipment. Thus they can sell new equipment which supports it. Smart !!!

All new pc's are 64 bit. But most software is still 32 bit. Not to many apps take advantage of 64 bit computing. Newer music production software does and supports multi-threading (multiple cores). XP is better at this point for music production at this point. This all relates mostly to the availability of Vista drivers for hardware. You can get the software to work in Vista, but the peripherils (sound cards, converters, hardware) need drivers to communicate with the software and pc and these are called drivers. Some companies are taking advantage of this and are not supporting Vista with new drivers for older equipment. Thus they can sell new equipment which supports it. Smart !!!

so if you can find drivers for your soundcard, and your software of choice is compatible with vista, is vista a good choice for a recording pc?

Personally I like the xp , I heard some unpleasant experience with the vista ,but it is said that vista will be more popular , in fact most laptops on market are vista now .

Ive got 7 pc's in my house. My personal one is running Vista. All the others are XP. When I installed Vista on mine I had to spend a few hours getting some of my apps to work properly. I have my recording stuff on this pc but I dont record with the Vista pc. Its in my home office and I just installed the stuff to see if all my recording programs would work. I found that alot of my vst plug-ins dont like Vista. I know my hardware in my studio pc has Vista drivers available, so that was not an issue. It was all the plugins is use that were the issue. So I will continue to use XP in my studio. I like Vista alot, but until Im forced to switch my studio pc to Vista, I will use XP. If you have the choice to use either, then use XP. I know most pc's come with Vista, so you may be stuck. I build my own and for that reason I can use what-ever OS I want. I still have the original windows on floppy :)

vista drivers are becoming available somewhat slowly but available non the less... you can ask for XP to be installed on new machines and most places will comply... but we are in that murky area between OS's... no doubt we'll all be running vista soon enough just not sure it's time for me to make the jump... maybe after TC releases vista drivers for my POCO...

Back