24-bit doesn't work

question444

For some reason I'm having trouble when I record 24-bit. I set the interface and the software to the same bit depth. When I play what I have recorded, it's all messed up sounding, like poppy and time-shifted. If I set everything to 16-bit, I have no problems.

I am using:
Sonar LE
Edirol UA-25

Any ideas? Could this be a problem with the interface? Or more likely a software/driver problem?

Sounds like you're talking about pre-recorded tracks. Tracks are rendered at whatever you recorded them at. If those tracks were recorded when you had it at 16-bit, playback at 24-bit is going to sound jacked up and pitch shifted. You have to record at 24-bit.

Sounds like you're talking about pre-recorded tracks. Tracks are rendered at whatever you recorded them at. If those tracks were recorded when you had it at 16-bit, playback at 24-bit is going to sound jacked up and pitch shifted. You have to record at 24-bit.

Nah, I think you are confusing bit depth with sample rate. Bit depth increasing won't increase the pitch, because the same number of samples are still passing through each second, they are just of a higher resolution.

Nah, I think you are confusing bit depth with sample rate. Bit depth increasing won't increase the pitch, because the same number of samples are still passing through each second, they are just of a higher resolution.
Touche. You are correct, sir. Temporary mix up.

Back