2 tracks at once issue

xgarmothx

Shredmaster Alpha
I have an Audigy (I know, I know - they upsample), with a single 1/4 input in the front (along with MIDI, optical, etc.). I would like to record 2 tracks at once (acoustic guitar, 2 mics). Any ideas?

Can I use an adapter to go from the second mic into an 1/8 male, plug that into the Audigy mic input in the BACK of my computer (on the sound card), route that as a second input to record simultaneously?

Seems like a simple problem and a cheezy way to get around it. I realize this isn't ideal, but I'm on a budget and I record as a hobby - not professionally, and am not really interested in expensive solutions hahaha :rolleyes:

I don't see why you couldn't do that. This is assuming that the back sound card you have is functional. If it's an onboard, it might be disabled because of the Audigy. Is the Audigy one of those with the break out box? If both are functional, you should be able to do this.

No, it's not onboard - it's part of the Audigy setup - essentially, there is Audigy interface in the front (main bay interface) and back (sound card, perpendicularly hooked into the motherboard). Glad to hear you think it will work - I'll give it a try on Monday!

Is there a line-in jack somewhere? Probably a 1/8" small one. You might need a Y-Cable. What preamp are you using?

I have the normal 1/4 in in the front, which I use for most recording. There is a line in and a mic in on the back, as well (1/8"). For the purposes of testing, I can use my acoustic's pickup preamp, so I have

Condenser mic > preamp > 1/4" front input
Guitar's on-board preamp > 1/4"-1/8" adapter > 1/8" rear line-in input

Assuming I can do both at once...

Back