2 Interfaces w/ ADAT, Do I need Word clock

Booda

Master of the Obvious
I have never delt w/ Word Clock having used only one interface at a time. I'm thinking of getting a M-Audio Octane (8 ch. Pres w/ ADAT out)to go w/ my Layla24 (has ADAT I/O) so I can get 16 Ins, pretty easy and inexpensive. Just plug in the ADAT cable from one to the other and that's it Right??

Do I need to worry about WORD Clock and how it Syncs up? Do I just hook up the ADAT cable or do I need to hook up Wordclock cables too?

The Layla has Word Clock I/O... Is there a way to tell beforhand if I'll have issues or do I just have to wait and see? If there is a delay or something, is there a way to fix it or does that mean I also need to get a Word Clock Unit?

I may be making something out of nothing here.... Shed some light if you can.

Thanks,
B.

Last edited:
Yes, you should probably use wordclock since it's available. All it would involve would be setting one as slave and one as master, and buy a proper BNC cable to connect them.

I'm not sure you can use both the analog and digital ins of the Layla at the same time. But then I've never tried it.

I have 2 Laylas and an Octane, but haven't messed with the digital outs of the Octane yet.

The ADAT cable will carry a clock signal. Check in the setup of the Layla and Octane to see if either one can be slaved to the clock signal on its ADAT input. Basically you want one unit to act as the master clock, so both devices are syncing to the same source.

Yes, no,maybe-so...

...it looks like I need to look into this Word Clock situation a little more.

Thanks for the input.

MadAudio, Are you just using the Octane as Analog pre's into a Layla? What other Pres do you have and how do you like the Octane? I've read about them here and other reviews and the concensus seems to be that their not quite as good as the DMP3 and have very low Gain... but they're still good. Do you find them to be harsh/brittle or warm? Do you like em? I might get the unit new for $350 and think it would be a very cost effective way to get 16 ch. going. Then at a later date I can always upgrade. The M/S thing looks interesting too, although that's new to me and I'd need to get a 8 pattern mic.
http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/Discontinued/Layla24/index.php
it says the unit is 16 duplex in & out so I'd think you could run both Analog and Digital at the same time.?. On the echo panel when you click on the ADAT tab another 8 channels pop up next to the analog ones. Hmmmm?

Thanks,
B.

Back