18 Out with Clarett 8 Pre & OctoPre for Mixing OTB

Steenamaroo, I get it now. Thank you.

I hate Focusrite right now. Sorry for the frustration/venting.

Quick follow up question: if I get the ADA8200, what does that look like from inside the DAW? Like, if Clarett 8 is the de facto Interace, how will the DAW know there is more than 10 channels to output to?

Sorry, I just don't want to buy yet another piece of gear only for everything to not work.

Steenamaroo, when you say "The focusrite has no digital inputs and is not a digital to analog converter" -- which unit are you TALKING ABOUT!?

Fair enough. I overlooked that both units are focusrite.
I'm talking about your Octopre.

I want to be able to OUTPUT 18 channels using both the Clarett and the OctoPre together. If this is not possible, then someone for the love of god tell me why the Clarett 8 Pre has 10 TRS outputs and the OctoPre has 8 TRS outputs!!! For looks?

I've answered these a few times now.

Steenamaroo, I get it now. Thank you.
I hate Focusrite right now. Sorry for the frustration/venting.

This thread has a lot of irrelevant information in it but there's nothing about focusrite, or digital audio equipment, to hate. :)

Quick follow up question: if I get the ADA8200, what does that look like from inside the DAW? Like, if Clarett 8 is the de facto Interace, how will the DAW know there is more than 10 channels to output to?

The daw sees the inputs and outputs that the audio interface has.

The interface and daw don't know or care what you connect to all these ins/outs.
They still see the same list of IO.

In your case, your Daw should list 8 analog outputs, 2 spdif outputs, and 8 channels of Adat.
If you were to buy an ADA8000/8200 (any 8 channel Digital to Analog converter), it will be converting the 8 channels of digital output, from your interface Adat output, to analog.

Say, for example, you had an ADA hooked up, (interface adat output to ADA adat input), output 'Adat 1'* in your DAW would correspond to the first channel of the ADA unit.

* Naming conventions vary from daw to daw. It may simply be output 9, or output 11, depending on the ordering.

Looking at the connectivity on the OctoPre MKii, you can do exactly what you want.

The user manual for the OctoPre MKii is available here: https://static.bhphotovideo.com/lit_files/85889.pdf
The user manual for the Clarett 8Pre is available here: https://customer.focusrite.com/site...wnloads/21485/clarett-8-pre-user-guideeng.pdf

I had thought that the OctoPre MKii had only ADAT outputs. But it does indeed have both ADAT inputs and ADAT outputs.

Connect a TOSLink cable from the Clarett ADAT OUTPUT to the OctoPre ADAT INPUT.
Select a clock source. Set one device to master, and the other to slave.
Select whether to sync clocks via ADAT or via the BNC cable (will need to dig thru the manuals to find this)
You should get some sort of indication that the two devices are synced. On my setup, both my interface and my ADAT preamp have led indicators that are labeled "sync".
In your DAW, make sure all outputs are activated. Depending on your DAW, the process will vary. I use Reaper, where it's a matter of setting the first and last available output from a list in the Device menu.

Now you should be able to direct 16 analog signals out of your system to your console (8 from the OctoPre, 8 from the Clarett). The other 2 outputs from the Clarett are for your monitoring system, so I wouldn't route things to those other than your master bus and maybe Windows system output.

BUT WAIT!

Hahaha now I really don't blame you if you slam your laptop closed ;)

I also have an RME Babyface. 1st Gen, not the pro.

This is an DAC with ADAT in. The breakout cable only has two XLR outs for analog, but I think I remember something funky in the manual about being able to use the 1/4 headphone out as an additional two channels?

I also have an RME Babyface. 1st Gen, not the pro.

From Babyface manual - "In stand-alone mode, the unit operates as AD- and DA-converter."

Sounds like you could use it and solve your problem.

The total number of outs will be 8 analog (from interface) and 8 digital (interface->D/A), so 16.
The missing two are s/pdif outputs on your interface, but maybe 16 is enough for what you want to do?

They make a clarett octopre and a scarlett octopre; I didn't realise that either.
The former has an adat input but I think yours does not.

They make a clarett octopre and a scarlett octopre; I didn't realise that either.
The former has an adat input but I think yours does not.

Agreed, from his descriptions so far, it sounds like he has the Scarlett OctoPre with the 8 line outputs on the back, and not the Clarett OctoPre with the line outputs that go through a breakout cable.

[MENTION=195580]rorohello[/MENTION] In that case, you can NOT do what you want to do with the equipment you have. The line outputs on the back of the Scarlett OctoPre simply pass through analog signal from the preamps on the front.

I agree with Steen: ditch the OctoPre and go grab a Behringer ADA8200. Hook it up the same way that's been described above and you'll be good to go with 16 analog outputs.

Back