16+ input interfaces

svebbi

Hi all,

As a consumer, the largest options for audio interfaces I can find are with 16 analog inputs - mostly by expanding through ADAT.
When I search for any interface that has more than 16 analog inputs there usually quite a gap/jump to something that seems way more professional and way more expensive.

Does any of you know of any 16+ interfaces that are more in line with the consumer setup/price range?

Thanks in advance

I have not seen any.

But then I am not sure why you would. Just buy two that work together is what I did. Then add a third ADAT connected one just in case you need it.

Only happened twice in 5 years to need over 16 tracks. And that was just for added talkback mics while tracking.

Everyone has different needs though so I get it. Never really need more than 16 tracks myself.

...16+ interfaces that are more in line with the consumer setup/price range?

Those two things kinda contradict each other. :D
You can find the interfaces...but you're gonna have to pony up some cash.

I think the big reason may have to do with the needs of home rec consumers, rather than the cost of manufacturing.
Most people are looking for 2-4 I/O interfaces because they're doing solo recording...and have no need to put up a dozen mics more simultaneously.

I run some older 8-channel boxes (just converters, not all-in-on interfaces)...and I have 4 of them for a total of 32 I/O connections.
It's a bit messier than if there was just one 32-channel box, one driver, one slot in your computer, etc...but I've had it working for a long time now, and no real need to change. That said...there's some nice large multi-channel stuff being made by Antelope Audio...but again...it ain't cheap. Then you have the Burl, etc kind of stuff...very expandable, and expensive. :)

Hi all,

As a consumer, the largest options for audio interfaces I can find are with 16 analog inputs - mostly by expanding through ADAT.
When I search for any interface that has more than 16 analog inputs there usually quite a gap/jump to something that seems way more professional and way more expensive.

Does any of you know of any 16+ interfaces that are more in line with the consumer setup/price range?

Thanks in advance
Over 16 channels in a single interface is not that common, so you're hitting that supply/demand curve wherever you look. (I.e., the price is going to go up.) I mean, I can do the same search, and there just isn't anything, certainly not in what I'd consider a "consumer" price range.

Not sure what you are trying to do that requires over 16 that might not be doable with less, maybe by being creative. As suggested, a couple chained for 16 with an ADAT standing by if you really need it. Heck, very few of us have a space where even 16 channels could be used.

Is there a reason you don't want to expand using ADAT?
I can't think of many/any with 16 analog ins in one unit but plenty of manufacturers make the drivers such that two interfaces can be used simultaneously.
Maybe that's an option?

There care a few Behringer x32 mixers around that are a useful way to get extra inputs and moving faders which can be pretty useful

If it must all be in one box? Soundcraft Signature 22 MTK

There are others. Personally I would go for an RME interface with two ADAT in/outs and two ADAT pres.

One could be a top line unit, Audient say. The other a Bellringer for drums.

Dave.

Hi all,

Thanks for all your responses - much appreciated!

Maybe I didn't explain properly. Let me elaborate a bit further. :)

I already do run with an extended ADAT setup.
In fact, today I have:
- Behringer Firepower FCA1616 - hooked up to Behringer ADA8200
- Scarlett 18i8 - hooked up to Behringer ADA8000.

This gives me two times 16 channels in total.

It would have been nice to simply insert both interfaces (including the ADAT expansions) into two USB ports. But that introduces another issue: Lack of sync.
These two consumer interfaces are not able to sync to more than the ADAT expansion so with those mounted I would not be able to sync them up (I did try with S/PDIF but that didn't work).

By investigating a bit further I stumbled upon this piece of gear: MOTU LP32 ADAT AVB
If I understand it correctly I would be able to hook up all of the above mentioned devices up through this MOTU and then I'd have a total of 32 channel in sync. In that way I'd also be able to re-use my gear instead of needing to throw them out exchanging them with new expensive pro equipment.

I hope that made it a bit more clear. :)
If any of you can provide any feedback of the MOTU and verify if it is capable of doing what I envision them please do speak up.
I assume it does more or less the same as the RME Digiface USB (thanks ecc83)?

Many thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hi all,

Thanks for all your responses - much appreciated!

Maybe I didn't explain myself properly. Let me elaborate a bit further. :)

I already do run with an extended ADAT setup.
In fact, today I already have:
- Behringer Firepower FCA1616 - hooked up to Behringer ADA8200
- Scarlett 18i8 - hooked up to Behringer ADA8000.

This gives me two times 16 channels in total.

It would have been nice to simple insert both interfaces (including the ADAT expansions) into two USB ports. But that introduces another issue: Lack of sync.
These two consumer interfaces are not able to sync to more than the ADAT expansion so with those mounted I would be able to sync them up (I did try with S/PDIF but that didn't work).

By investigating a bit further I stumbled upon this piece of gear: MOTU LP32 ADAT AVB
If I understand it correctly I would be able to hook up all of the above mentioned devices up through this MOTU and then I'd have a total of 32 channel in sync. In that way I'd also be able to re-use my gear instead of needing to throw them out exchanging them with new expensive pro equipment.

I hope that made it a bit more clear. :)
If any of you can provide any feedback of the MOTU and verify if it is capable of doing what I envision them please do speak up.
I assume it does more or less the same as the RME Digiface USB (thanks ecc83)?

Many thanks in advance
As long as your existing devices all have ADAT output and can be configured to be slaved to the device they plug into (for the clock) that MOTO looks like a solution. Just a quick peek and I only saw optical input on the 18i8. BUT, I don't have any of these devices - used to have the 8200 and used that with my Saffire 26 (FW predecessor of 18i8), and my fuzzy recollection is that the Behri was the master [clock] when I used it like that.

Behringer X-Air18.

I have one for live use but it works just as well as an interface. Stream 18 channels of pre-fader audio to the PC and can run FOH at the same time. There are similar products out there, the Behringer one is the best price.

[Edit: Maybe I didn't read the whole thread thoroughly enough. Eh, my suggestion is still there.Good luck]

Last edited:
Another possibility to consider is the RME DigiFace USB: RME Digiface USB Portable Digital Audio Interface | Sweetwater

It has 4 sets of ADAT I/O and connects to the computer via USB. That, plus 4 x ADA8200 units would add up to 32 inputs / 32 outputs, for about $1300 total. That's not bad at all.

Good job I discovered the second page as the Digiface USB was going to be my suggestion too. I'd suggest buying an Audient 8 channel preamp to go with your existing Behringers as well.

Hi everyone,
Many thanks for your very reasonable and enlightening responses. Once again - I grant you humble appreciation. :thumbs up:
I believe I will go with the RME DigiFace USB.
Have a great winter ya'll! :listeningmusic:

I use Apogee

Hi all,

Thanks in advance
I have an Apogee Symphony with 32 inputs - love it - doesn't break a sweat during recording

Back