You know whats Cool?

Herm

When your one of only a couple of people in the area that has Analog gear.
And a guy has a 7 inch reel of tape of a famous rock band from the 60,s early 70,s That came from a recording session with songs that never got released.
And they ask you to put the music on a cd for them.
Sorry I cant say what the name of the band was. But it was a hoot putting 40 year old tape in my dehydrator and baking it for 4 hours and then listening to it. And it sounded fabulous.

Whoops, I posted this in the wrong thread. That's what happens sometimes with tabbed browsers...

Last edited:
The machne was a Nesco AMerican harvest. I got it at Walmart, Kmart, One of those places. Its been a few years since I got it.
When I first put the tape on my 22-2 it ran awhile and started to drag and squeal . Even in rewind it was slowing the machine down.
So I put it in the dehydrator for about 4 hours.
The next day I put it on the machine and it worked great. No drag No noise. The box looked like a 631 box but it didnt have numbers on it and the tape didnt act like it. Half way through the tape I noticed the tape changed color. Did some rewinding and found out there was a splice and they had used two differant tapes on this reel. The second half of the tape looked like 631 but the first half looked like some other brand or number tape. Im guessing thats where the sticky shed was at before baking.

And a guy has a 7 inch reel of tape of a famous rock band from the 60,s early 70,s That came from a recording session with songs that never got released.
Sorry I cant say what the name of the band was. But it was a hoot putting 40 year old tape in my dehydrator and baking it for 4 hours and then listening to it. And it sounded fabulous.

That IS cool...neat!

The band name rhymes with?

:cool:

And rhymes with?

:cool:

:laughings:
Ya might have a better chance, gettin' him to tell ya how many members were in the band,...or where they're from...???:D

@ Herm :
But yeah,..That is coooooool.
I've run into that a couple times myself,..but it was 10 inch, and
another couple times was cassette.
Almost everyone that records in my area, has full blown DAW systems.
I'm one of the only ones that uses the analog format around here,..
that I know of anyway.....:D

Sorry there is no model number on the unit and I threw the box away long time ago. It says Dehydrater and Jerky maker ontop though.

Last edited:
I know the name of the band. But I've been rewarded mightilly for my silence.
But here's a clue; they all left school.......

The dehydrator is probably an FD-60. That's what I have. I think there's also an FD-40 but the only difference is in the number of trays.

How do 7" reels fit in that thing? It looks like some kind of spindle comes up through the middle.

3179JZLkQ0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The spindle is integrated with the tray, so for 7" reels you have to mod the tray.

My last post still applies though...make no mistake.

Yes you just take a pair of snips and cut that center piece off so the reel lays flat in the middle. Unless you are going to bake more then one reel at a time you only need to do one. I cut one of the centers out of one in the middle of the unit. The pic on Corys post looks just like mine

Back