Yippie! I'm out of the box!

gerard

Posted this and a 2 bay rack in over at DYI. Finally got my Tascam board out of the shipping crate Sunday. The pedastal is about 50% done. The space on the right will have 7 rack mount patchbays and a "producer's desk" with monitor speaker select switches.

Attachments

• Pic228mod.jpg
    Pic228mod.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 70
Thanks! Spent 2 hours Friday at Home Depot buying lumber and hardware for the board pedastal, 2 bay rack, and a small rack for the tape machine. Trying to get everything ready for paint/stain by the weekend but I'm running out of steam already. I know enough about wood working to be dangerous!:eek:

Really coming along nicely!:) Indeed just be very careful with the cutting and stuff. :eek:

Thanks! Spent 2 hours Friday at Home Depot buying lumber and hardware for the board pedastal, 2 bay rack, and a small rack for the tape machine. Trying to get everything ready for paint/stain by the weekend but I'm running out of steam already. I know enough about wood working to be dangerous!:eek:

The main difference between your wood working skills and my wood working skills is that your skills are present from an aesthetic desire to create. My wood working skills are there out of crappy necessity. The day we moved in to our house, an unknown break in the sewer line caused a clog that flooded our downstairs with sewage, soaking through the tile floor. I spent the next 3 months ripping out the floor, repairing the sewer issues, scraping off all the mortar with an air chisel, and then laying down hardwood. I had little to no experience with wood working, but out of sheer necessity, and not being able to afford the cost of labor, I'm scary good w/ a chop saw, table saw, hand saw, jig saw and nailgun. But not because I wanted to be good.

The table saw scares me!

No kidding, I don't even have one. I try to make due with just the hand held tools. Got my thumb caught in a mill with a 1" cutting tool (yep, to the emergency room!) and my hand got "thumped" by a lathe chuck a few times. That's when I relized "gee, I really like my fingers"! :D(I play bass)

Correct Sweetbeets, I have a Tascam MSR-16. Got it a few weeks before the board. The tape machine rack is about 70% done tonight but didn't work on the pedastal. My plan is to get all the major cutting and assembly done then work on the details and paint. Posted a "group shot" of the progress. The console desk/patchbays, endcaps and speaker shelf are the last major cutting operation.

Attachments

• Pic242mod.jpg
    Pic242mod.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 34
good job.
Looking at the largest piece in the middle of the last photo, I might
want to stiffen it up a little in the center and front.
It wouldn't have to be a lot. just a couple of 1 inch by 2 inch pieces glued
and either pin nailed or predrilled and screwed.
Also, you could put on larger wheels. I'd go for polyester ones.
I would add wheels to the other pieces as well.
Handy when you want to re-patch or just clean behind.
Looks nice.

Thanks zorf! I glued the center stud and have 3, 3" screws in the the top and bottom, I hope that holds! Got the wheels but didn't get a chance to put them on yet to the rack and tape stand. Gonna give it a rest tonight, I'm pooped!

Back