WTB: Fostex G24s

victroid

Hey folks, new here as of today.
Already have a E16 w/the 4050 Locator as well ... love it. My main use for this unit is to track Drums & Bass, sync it to my DAW, capture & edit away.
Yet I have had my eye on the G24s for years now, but never saw one with in my reach to buy ...

Any leads on one of these units?

I am in the SF Bay Area, CA. Hope i find one local in my area, but I am open to where ever it may be.

Thanks
Vic

Hi there,
Do you really think you need additional tracks, even with the synced DAW?

The only reason I ask is, if you have a machine that works well, why take the monetary risk of trying to find a 24 track, which uses more expensive 1" tape, and may or may not work as well as what you currently have?

I'm not sure if you'll really hear a difference in fidelity between a 1/2" 16 track and a 1" 24 track. I have an MSR-16, which is a 1/2" 16 track, and I used to have a TSR-8, which is a 1/2" 8 track, and I really couldn't hear a difference in quality between the two machines.

With 15 tracks (I realize you lose one because of the sync) and DAW control, do you really need more tracks?

I guess the other issue is that I haven't seen as many Fostex 24 tracks. Once in a while I see a Tascam MSR-24 pop up on eBay... but I think you should try sticking with what you've got.

Best wishes,
-MD

Hi there,
Do you really think you need additional tracks, even with the synced DAW?

The only reason I ask is, if you have a machine that works well, why take the monetary risk of trying to find a 24 track, which uses more expensive 1" tape, and may or may not work as well as what you currently have?

I'm not sure if you'll really hear a difference in fidelity between a 1/2" 16 track and a 1" 24 track. I have an MSR-16, which is a 1/2" 16 track, and I used to have a TSR-8, which is a 1/2" 8 track, and I really couldn't hear a difference in quality between the two machines.

With 15 tracks (I realize you lose one because of the sync) and DAW control, do you really need more tracks?

I guess the other issue is that I haven't seen as many Fostex 24 tracks. Once in a while I see a Tascam MSR-24 pop up on eBay... but I think you should try sticking with what you've got.

Best wishes,
-MD
Thanks for the info, and you may be right in terms of expense as well as finding a machine that is in mint shape ... and will perform for years to come. I also have a beautiful Tascam 58 (orig. owner, paid about $5400 + tax !) .... Made many records on this unit in the 80s, did my own set ups and and so on, have the DBXs below with a nice patch bay to boot. Yet someday I will have to pull the cards & clean the relays, very on & off these day. But for 1/2 tape, this was ( may still be) a great way to beef up drums & bass. But for now I will just stay with my E-16 .... and if by some off beat chance I see a G24s meeting all my expectations .... I may go for it. At this point it is not a Life Mission to get one .... I 'm just another analog gear slut seeking yet another Tape Thrill!
Take Care
'vic

Back