Words From the Analog Faithful

cjacek said:
I respect your opinion my friend but from my own personal side, I have heard recordings done on the 388 and I'm quite puzzled by you disliking its sound. :confused: Perhaps we interpret sounds differently or the 388 was used inappropriately (ie: meters driven to extreme red continually with dbx on :eek:; wrong tape used etc ...) or it was ill maintained or its heads in poor condition plus a zillion other variables gone horriby astray, I don't know .. but the 388 to me was always an amazing sounding machine, despite its rather narrow track width. As an example, listen to ARP Dave's cuts done on the 388 ... and that's just mp3's! I'd surely wouldn't describe the sound as being less than magnificent!

~Daniel :)

If you think that the 388 is an amazing sounding machine, you really should hear my MCI 2" 24 track. Spend enough time on it and the 388 will be ........well..........far less amazing.

But if the 388 makes you happy and you love the sound, there is nothing anyone can say that will change your mind. That is what is great having so many analog recorder choices in this big 'ol world. There is something for everyone's tastes.

acorec said:
If you think that the 388 is an amazing sounding machine, you really should hear my MCI 2" 24 track. Spend enough time on it and the 388 will be ........well..........far less amazing.

Well,... like... duh! :eek:

willymac3 said:
I'M GOING BACK TO ANALOG,..............AND BACK TO MUSIC................

Your disenchantment with digital is certainly not an isolated occurance. It's going on as we speak, but then again you already know that. ;)

Welcome brother Willymac, welcome to our humble forum! :D

~Daniel ;)

Don't compare apples and oranges ...

acorec said:

I don't doubt that the MCI is a more impressive sounding machine vs the 388. (When playing back from tape). That goes without saying. All I wanted to get across is that the 388 sounds very respectful in its class. It's no MCI but it is capable of at least CD quality HI-FI audio and is the only open reel/mixer "portastudio" concept around. That right there is the selling point.

~Daniel :)

I am an analog guy and the reason for this is that necessity breeds invention. What I mean is that with a DAW it is too easy to fix things fush em tweek em tune em till there perfect. Also if you have an idea about how you want it to sound, an effect or something, you have a huge number of choises which make it very difficult to choose the right one. and when you have you don't know what you have done with it in real terms, you've just pressed a button and hey presto!.
Whith analog recording there are limits that you can explore and try to overcome. If yu have an idea for somthing you will be forced to realise it with the limited equipment you have. This way you have lerned more about your gear and I bet you will have made a shit load of mistekes in the process,which again will have given you a greater knowlage of your equipment.

Limitations force you to be creative. Creativness leads to great art.

I think this is the true reason for the greatness of analog equipment. It is also something that can never be simulated

My Name said:
Limitations force you to be creative. Creativness leads to great art.

I think this is the true reason for the greatness of analog equipment. It is also something that can never be simulated

Very well said. I've always felt the same way

A have a couple of questions/thoughts for you analog guys (I may be one too; but I'm on the fence)?

1) I'm assuming that when you share music with others it's either on a CD or on a computer in a MP3 format. (I mean lots of people don't even have cassette decks or record players anymore). So, doesn't your music get digitized eventually?

(2) There's one advantage to tape that you guys haven't mentioned. One day (I hope and pray) the CD will die and be replaced by SACD or DVD-A. When that day comes you can take your analog masters or tracks and mix them down to a recorder for the new medium.

(3) Have any of you guys seen the frequency-response curve of the SACD/DSD format? I was surfing the web and the curve is virtually indistinguishable from an analog curve. Tascam now makes a two track DSD recorder (Tascam DV-RA 1000) for around $1200, which Tascam claims sounds as good or better than Analog. Anyone have any thoughts on this technology? Might it be a replacement for tape?

(4) Is it just my imagaintion or does analog recording produce hotter levels? You can go above zero and it's not a death sentence; with digital you either got to be super careful setting your levels or really careful during your performance (not a good thing) or use a limiter (not a good thing either).

Also, as a playback medium analog seems louder. I have a combo VCR/DVD player. When I put a DVD in I need to turn the T.V. up quite a bit more than when I'm playing a VHS cassette. Incidentally, I have a three year old daughter and watch a lot of Disney movies with her. To me the audio/music in these movies is always warmer and more musical on VHS than on DVD. The DVD is clearer, of course.

Anyway, those are some of my random thoughts on the topic.

PHILANDDON said:
1) I'm assuming that when you share music with others it's either on a CD or on a computer in a MP3 format. (I mean lots of people don't even have cassette decks or record players anymore). So, doesn't your music get digitized eventually?

Right, but those kind of things don't bother me at all. I track my music on Analog and whether it ends up on cd, mp3, dvd-audio or not etc .. makes no difference to me. All it matters is that my music gets to tape first, that I track and work on Analog before anything else.

(2) There's one advantage to tape that you guys haven't mentioned. One day (I hope and pray) the CD will die and be replaced by SACD or DVD-A. When that day comes you can take your analog masters or tracks and mix them down to a recorder for the new medium.

Good point and I will say right here that Analog tape will make it waaay past the date when the CD becomes obsolete. Actually, I think tape will never die, at least not in our lifetime. It's too great of a musical medium for anything like that to happen.

(3) Have any of you guys seen the frequency-response curve of the SACD/DSD format? I was surfing the web and the curve is virtually indistinguishable from an analog curve. Tascam now makes a two track DSD recorder (Tascam DV-RA 1000) for around $1200, which Tascam claims sounds as good or better than Analog. Anyone have any thoughts on this technology? Might it be a replacement for tape?

Again, I'm not into analog for purely the sound so new digital technology (and TASCAM hype) won't change my mind, no matter how "good" the sound is.

Is it just my imagaintion or does analog recording produce hotter levels? You can go above zero and it's not a death sentence; with digital you either got to be super careful setting your levels or really careful during your performance (not a good thing) or use a limiter (not a good thing either).

No, it's not your imagination. ;)

Also, as a playback medium analog seems louder. I have a combo VCR/DVD player. When I put a DVD in I need to turn the T.V. up quite a bit more than when I'm playing a VHS cassette. Incidentally, I have a three year old daughter and watch a lot of Disney movies with her. To me the audio/music in these movies is always warmer and more musical on VHS than on DVD. The DVD is clearer, of course.

Yes, that's exactly what I feel too. There's something very natural, silk like and organic when playing VHS, cassette or anything analog actually. Digital has a clearer picture but believe it or not I can see "compression artifacts" and that kinda distracts me. Still, I watch DVD's and try to focus on their clarity and forget these artifacts. Still, I'd prefer to watch Laser Discs and it's a real BUMMER that the LD became obsolete so quickly. It was a really good "Film Like" format. I miss the Laser Disc. I liken the LD to an LP and the CD to DVD. The latter are more "convenience" oriented, cheaper and give more bonus material per $$ spent but the Laser Disc will give a truly superior picture performace, "Film Like" as will the LP for sound quality. "Convenience", "getting more bang for the buck" and "cheaper" wins I guess .. :(

Anyway, those are some of my random thoughts on the topic.

Good thoughts ;)

~Daniel

I had a young band in yesterday, and they asked if my tascam 38 was a movie projector, ah the young most, only no digital and have never seen a 1/2 inch tape.

That's frikin hilarious, up there.

Oh a side note, just out of the blue --

Rupert Neve himself is not a big fan of CD's. Now, you can argue that he's an old hag that's living in the past, but this is not the case. He continues to design mastering gear with the utmost attention to detail, attention, and sound quality. His latest "Masterpiece," a modular, stereo imaging mastering tool, sports a signal to noise ratio of 127:1. I think he knows what sounds good -- the stuff he has designed over the years proves it. And I would think that a guy like Neve could tell if there were something missing in a sound, nameley in the CD format. There you go. Neve can vouch for us all.

I know that there's better digital sample rates out there, I mean, the Radar 24 ROCKS!! but sometimes, you gotta keep it reel.

"(1) Analog is practically "idiot proof" - anyone can operate
and the outcome is predictable, provided that you have a well maintained machine, console etc ..."

NO its digital thats " idiot proof "...quick example, ask just about anyone with protools on their PC about drive / saturation / headroom. Odds are they will have no idea what your talking about, but will have a few tracks for you to listen to :P Regaurdless if these elements are directly connected to the medium they use or not...its basic building block stuff that ANYONE doing ANY multitracking should know.

What is the big thing about digital that gets tossed in everyones face...that line about " now everyone can record!!!" lol...WTF stopped them before.

"(2) Tape captures real, living and breathing frequencies with all the crap in between - no "snapshots" of sound here "

Exactly your working with a real medium...where you have a transference of natural energy. Digital...you just cut the universe out the mix real quick and pump dead tracks with cold effects to give them life.

Thing thats funny...if you tell one of these " protool " heads out there...analog has something like twice the frequency range as Digital's theoretical limits, they look at you like you lost your mind.

"(3) The interactivity between you and analog is unsurpassed and brings much joy "

EXACTLY...there is interactivity there. Change your tape grade change your sound...dont think anything happens when you change your harddrive :/

"The above 5 reasons, not neccessarily in order, are the main selling points of analog for me. Sound of tape is but the icing on the cake."

I agree with your reasons ( all but the first )...YET I do feel its a good idea to hybrid analog and digital. Only I also feel anyone with a real world background of analog recording will be better able to pull some reality out of digital then those that just jumped on digital cause " with just thousands of gear hooked to a consumer grade PC I can make pro recordings for cheep!!!"

LOL I mean we now live in a world where something like the line6pod USED to be nothing more then a portable toy you tossed in your gig bag to play at your grandmas house...now its the direct guitar recording tool of choice. Cause you know when you sit in front of your computer mounter you get interference with your amp and pick ups...much smarter to throw the mic and amp out the window then to learn what the hell your doing.

As for anything else analog Vs digital...well we have over 100 years of analog recording history with 100 year old recordings that can be played back now, lets see how grand a run digital has. Its not the merits of analog we have to worry about...as every bit of music that makes up the landscape of what we all reference as classic examples is firmly rooted in analog. Just cause we have people that are not aware the world was here before them doesn't taint that reality at all. If a digital head acts like they know everything...just a few select records can put a bullet in their head and leave them falling in denial.

To finish I feel I can share this...part of my background was second engineer at Sun...lol want to know how sick it makes me when some fool online wants to capture that Sun sound...hahaha then when I give them ways to do exactly that, I end up getting slandered cause " its just easier to use blah blah plug in " :P Silly crap I see like " what did the old blues players use for a click track. "

Just human nature in general gets me mad :) Ill record something four track, people think it was digital...then when they figure out what the medium is all of a sudden the recording sucks. Kinda the same crap with my drum work...get folks going " its looped " " its sequenced " " its step recorded " " its a drum machine "...then when they find out its real time I get the " the beats off time " " you should just loop it " " it needs to be quantized." Just on and on and on :/

Chris Shaeffer said:
Ever try to bake a harddrive after it crashes?

:rolleyes:

Yep, I've put a few in my freezer over the years to get one last run out of it for data recovery. Then you bake it at 500 degrees F and then take it out in the garage and hit it with a sledgehammer until it's flat. :p

And don't forget to say the magic words during this ritual -- @#$%&^@!*&!. :D

Back