Will a Condensor Mike Work on My Tascam 244?

Illsidgus

Desiccated Member
I have finally reached the point where I am not scared to try recording on my 244. I haven't recorded on it since 1986 for fear of failure. I know that sounds stupid, but it is what it is. I have been trying to work up the courage since I joined HR in 2012. Now that I am ready, I don't know if the AT2035 I purchased about 4 years ago will work on the 244. And Yes, I have a phantom power supply. In the past I used my Shure Unisphere A to good effect. Help!! And thank you for any advice you can offer me.

I'm guessing that the phantom power supply has only XLR connections, if that is the case, then in between the phantom power supply and the 1/4 inch high impedance inputs of the 244, you should use a regular XLR to XLR cable and one of these...

Whirlwind Little IMP | Sweetwater

I actually have one of those. I purchased it when I picked up a used Behringer mic100 preamp.

Cool, then you should be all set.

I see way too many times on the forums that the music store people will gladly sell a balanced XLR to 1/4 inch balanced TRS cable adaptor, to people who are actually needing a balanced low impedance XLR to 1/4 inch unbalanced high impedance transformer/adaptor, wasted money and frustration!

Cool, then you should be all set.

I see way too many times on the forums that the music store people will gladly sell a balanced XLR to 1/4 inch balanced TRS cable adaptor, to people who are actually needing a balanced low impedance XLR to 1/4 inch unbalanced high impedance transformer/adaptor, wasted money and frustration!
The people in Kentucky Music set me up with the Imp. They were very helpful. I guess I have become a bit of a Luddite in my old age, I didn't used to be.

That transformer is very dinky and cheap (a decent Sowter e.g. would be $80 ish BEFORE you put it in a tin!) and will I think compromise the pristine sound of a capacitor mic, which is after all the main reason we use them! This will be worse at LF, again the strong point of such a microphone.

The AT2035 has a high sensitivity at -33dB/Pa or some 22mV. I suggest a simple XLR to unbalanced jack lead from the 48V supply to the recorder. The low impedance of the mic should ensure no hum intrusion but in any case you can keep said cable under 3mtrs and use a long mic lead?

Dave.

I have also looked at Jensen mic traffs, $70 or more and again, that is just the bare component.

A better bet if you HAVE to use a transformer would be the Shure A5UF. Very decent specc'.

Dave.

I have also looked at Jensen mic traffs, $70 or more and again, that is just the bare component.

A better bet if you HAVE to use a transformer would be the Shure A5UF. Very decent specc'.

Dave.
Oops! should be A95UF $53.

That transformer is very dinky and cheap (a decent Sowter e.g. would be $80 ish BEFORE you put it in a tin!) and will I think compromise the pristine sound of a capacitor mic, which is after all the main reason we use them! This will be worse at LF, again the strong point of such a microphone.

The AT2035 has a high sensitivity at -33dB/Pa or some 22mV. I suggest a simple XLR to unbalanced jack lead from the 48V supply to the recorder. The low impedance of the mic should ensure no hum intrusion but in any case you can keep said cable under 3mtrs and use a long mic lead?

Dave.

Better to disregard my earlier post and just go buy whatever bullshit cable this fucking guy recommends because he is clearly an
advanced low to high impedance/balanced/unbalanced matching motherfucking ninja...

and don't forget that you'll need a full blown soldering station plus the skills to use it, and build your very own device..

" because he is clearly an
advanced low to high impedance/balanced/unbalanced matching motherfucking ninja..."

You better believe it.

Dave.

Old 70s Tascam kit with 1/4" mic sockets usually had a medium impedance input - I think 12K from memory and a fairly wide range gain control so you could plug in 600Ohm mics, line inputs from tape machines and guitars reasonably successfully. You'd dull up the guitars a bit because the lowish impedance loaded the pickups, but they did work. Gain on a standard 600Ohm mic was not that bad at all.

The only real issue here is that given that I think the OP is using an in-line phantom power supply, so the usual unbalancing method i.e. connecting pins 1 and 2, or 1 and 3 won't work because it shorts one leg of the phantom power.

If you have an XLR female to the 1/4" cable you don't mind sacrificing, or best of all can solder - there is one FREE method that might work for yo and retain the quality of the mic. You simply re-wire the cable so that pin 2 goes to the jack tip and pin 3 goes to the jack screen/shield. No connection at all on pin 1 - the mic ground. If the mic ground connects to the recorder chassis at any point, this big fails. However, my memory of these Tascams is that they had a two wire power connection and the grounds were not connected to it's metalwork at all.

Back in the days I was a teenager, I just chopped the XLR to jack cable and re-connected the wires with a plastic block connector, leaving the screen cut short on the mic side so it didn't connect. You can then forget the transformer. Somewhere, I still have the one I bought back then to do the job properly - it had a female XLR with a dangly 1/4" on a bit of cable hanging out the other end, and did the job.

Guys - where has all the experimentation and trying things out gone? This whole section is for people who want to get old gear back into use, and some of it sound wise is by modern standards er, a little dated - so instead of constantly looking for purpose made adapters, try experimenting a bit. You can choose to spend nothing, a bit or a lot. You can totally NOT learn to solder, or you can give it a shot. Best thing I ever learned to do in my teens. Thousands probably of mic cables over the years by now.

The idea is to throw ideas in - we have loads of suggestions now. Some more technically advanced than others, but how many times have I tried something found it worked and used it, not realising there were different and better ways? Loads.

There is one important question. What does it sound like?

Rob, linking pins 1 and 3* on the OUTPUT XLR of the power supply should not affect the power on the input, not at least if it is of proper design since the very reason for such a supply is to provide spook juice but feed something that doesn't and was not designed to handle it!

Agree about the mic pres. If they are anything like the ones on my A3440 they have decent gain and low noise (and are a very simple discrete design) I have used some cheapish Maplin inline transformers but then only with the hammer and chisel SM57! My son has used a Sontronics STC-2 on the Teac but fed from an A&H mixer.

And yeah! Experiment guys! We had buggerall when I was first into audio (55+yrs ago) so we begged, borrowed and (asked later!) "acquired" what we could and lashed things up.

*This only shorts one leg of the phantom power of course and a mic MIGHT work on the hot pin but you lose the noise cancelling property of two feeds.

Dave.

Sadly Dave, loads of the current crop of in line PSUs seem to omit the DC blocking and simply link the XLR in to the out. Found out on a Soundcraft PA desk - it objected strongly to having phantom power shoved 'the wrong way' - by one of these devices somebody was using in their on-stage rack to feed a condenser mic. They showed me their rack, and I simply was going to leave that channel with phantom turned off - but connecting the thing to the stage box resulted in the channel LEDs all coming on like a christmas tree. I didn't look inside it, but the meter read continuity on all pins in to out - so no DC blocking at all!

AES XLR were different pin-out back then. Anyway, I snagged a cheap Behringer 1002fx for all the recording things here that don't have +48. The used digital ART DPS was $100 and works fine, too, but I can haul the laptop and the little mixer back to the bedroom easy enough. I can shave the LDC bump a hair with the mixer

I actually have one of those. I purchased it when I picked up a used Behringer mic100 preamp.

Do you still have the MIC100? That does have phantom power and I would believe you could connect it to a MIC/Line input of the 244 with just a 1/4" TS type of cable and avoid the use of the phantom power box and impedance transformer.

I do have an old Tascam 246 which is just an expanded version of the 244. Back when I was using it, I used Audio Technica (ATUS) type impedance matching XLR to 1/4" transformers which aren't too different than the Whirlwind and worked fine for the cassette tape deck they were going into. Mostly used dynamic mics such as an SM57 or battery powered condensers back then.

Input specs below for the 246. 244 I would think be about the same.....

Attachments

• 246.jpg
    246.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 0
Sadly Dave, loads of the current crop of in line PSUs seem to omit the DC blocking and simply link the XLR in to the out. Found out on a Soundcraft PA desk

FORK!! I have a 20 quid PSU I bought to save the hassle with the Teac but I have never actually tried it on that. I shall dig it out forthwith and have a shufty!

Dave.

Do you still have the MIC100? That does have phantom power and I would believe you could connect it to a MIC/Line input of the 244 with just a 1/4" TS type of cable and avoid the use of the phantom power box and impedance transformer.

Yes I do still have the mc100. Should I use the impedance transform from the mc100 to the 244. It certainly was much simpler when I just had my Shure dynamic mic which I still have.

Rob and Dave, I also look into mic cable surgery. I used to be more adventurous it just seems the older I get, the less adventurous I am.

Thank you to all who have offered advice. I have to say though, I sort of miss the scathing remarks from folks like Greg and Muttley.

Yes I do still have the mc100. Should I use the impedance transform from the mc100 to the 244. It certainly was much simpler when I just had my Shure dynamic mic which I still have.
No, the impedance transformer shouldn't be needed.

Back