Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Will a Condensor Mike Work on My Tascam 244?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    South Central Kentucky
    Age
    67
    Posts
    518
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
    Rep Power
    5049987

    Will a Condensor Mike Work on My Tascam 244?

    Sign in to disable this ad
    I have finally reached the point where I am not scared to try recording on my 244. I haven't recorded on it since 1986 for fear of failure. I know that sounds stupid, but it is what it is. I have been trying to work up the courage since I joined HR in 2012. Now that I am ready, I don't know if the AT2035 I purchased about 4 years ago will work on the 244. And Yes, I have a phantom power supply. In the past I used my Shure Unisphere A to good effect. Help!! And thank you for any advice you can offer me.
    “Clap for the Wolfman, he gonna rate your record high”

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Douglas, Az.
    Posts
    1,864
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 149 Times in 147 Posts
    Rep Power
    53222
    As long as the drive belts, etc. are OK, you should be Rockin'

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    South Central Kentucky
    Age
    67
    Posts
    518
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
    Rep Power
    5049987
    Quote Originally Posted by garww View Post
    As long as the drive belts, etc. are OK, you should be Rockin'
    I replaced all the rubber in 2012. What I am worried about and don't really understand is high and low impedance and which the AT2035 is.
    “Clap for the Wolfman, he gonna rate your record high”

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    CT.
    Age
    54
    Posts
    654
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Rep Power
    333787
    I'm guessing that the phantom power supply has only XLR connections, if that is the case, then in between the phantom power supply and the 1/4 inch high impedance inputs of the 244, you should use a regular XLR to XLR cable and one of these...

    Whirlwind Little IMP | Sweetwater

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    South Central Kentucky
    Age
    67
    Posts
    518
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
    Rep Power
    5049987
    Quote Originally Posted by Strryder View Post
    I'm guessing that the phantom power supply has only XLR connections, if that is the case, then in between the phantom power supply and the 1/4 inch high impedance inputs of the 244, you should use a regular XLR to XLR cable and one of these...

    Whirlwind Little IMP | Sweetwater
    I actually have one of those. I purchased it when I picked up a used Behringer mic100 preamp.
    “Clap for the Wolfman, he gonna rate your record high”

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    CT.
    Age
    54
    Posts
    654
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Rep Power
    333787
    Quote Originally Posted by Illsidgus View Post
    I actually have one of those. I purchased it when I picked up a used Behringer mic100 preamp.
    Cool, then you should be all set.

    I see way too many times on the forums that the music store people will gladly sell a balanced XLR to 1/4 inch balanced TRS cable adaptor, to people who are actually needing a balanced low impedance XLR to 1/4 inch unbalanced high impedance transformer/adaptor, wasted money and frustration!

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Strryder For This Useful Post:


  8. #7
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    South Central Kentucky
    Age
    67
    Posts
    518
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
    Rep Power
    5049987
    Quote Originally Posted by Strryder View Post
    Cool, then you should be all set.

    I see way too many times on the forums that the music store people will gladly sell a balanced XLR to 1/4 inch balanced TRS cable adaptor, to people who are actually needing a balanced low impedance XLR to 1/4 inch unbalanced high impedance transformer/adaptor, wasted money and frustration!
    The people in Kentucky Music set me up with the Imp. They were very helpful. I guess I have become a bit of a Luddite in my old age, I didn't used to be.
    “Clap for the Wolfman, he gonna rate your record high”

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Posts
    10,013
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 672 Times in 636 Posts
    Rep Power
    9374895
    That transformer is very dinky and cheap (a decent Sowter e.g. would be $80 ish BEFORE you put it in a tin!) and will I think compromise the pristine sound of a capacitor mic, which is after all the main reason we use them! This will be worse at LF, again the strong point of such a microphone.

    The AT2035 has a high sensitivity at -33dB/Pa or some 22mV. I suggest a simple XLR to unbalanced jack lead from the 48V supply to the recorder. The low impedance of the mic should ensure no hum intrusion but in any case you can keep said cable under 3mtrs and use a long mic lead?

    Dave.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Posts
    10,013
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 672 Times in 636 Posts
    Rep Power
    9374895
    I have also looked at Jensen mic traffs, $70 or more and again, that is just the bare component.

    A better bet if you HAVE to use a transformer would be the Shure A5UF. Very decent specc'.

    Dave.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Posts
    10,013
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 672 Times in 636 Posts
    Rep Power
    9374895
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    I have also looked at Jensen mic traffs, $70 or more and again, that is just the bare component.

    A better bet if you HAVE to use a transformer would be the Shure A5UF. Very decent specc'.

    Dave.
    Oops! should be A95UF $53.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-14-2008, 07:20
  2. Tascam 246~Tascam/Shure Condensor Mic Demo 05/27/08
    By A Reel Person in forum Analog Recording & Mixing - Tape & Gear
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-10-2008, 17:39
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-12-2004, 21:47
  4. How does SD condensor mic work?
    By crazydoc in forum Microphones
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-19-2002, 14:40

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •