Will Analog Multitracks ever be made again?

Will Analog Multitracks ever be made again?

• Total voters
I voted yes mainly because things just seem to go full circle. I mean, look at vinyl.

otoh look at the 8-track.

ain't happening. analog is dead. it's last remaining remnants are right here in this forum, and that's only because its members aren't smart enough to figure out how to record onto a computer.

ain't happening. analog is dead. it's last remaining remnants are right here in this forum, and that's only because its members aren't smart enough to figure out how to record onto a computer.

I realise this is a troll (the last line is a dead giveaway) but the 8-track isn't a good comparison. It was simply a bad idea in the first place and it died out fairly quickly. Mag tape took the best part of 60 years until something better came along.

hey, how'ja know? :o

I realise this is a troll (the last line is a dead giveaway) but the 8-track isn't a good comparison. It was simply a bad idea in the first place and it died out fairly quickly. Mag tape took the best part of 60 years until something better came along.
i thought (and still do) he was saying that in jest. so i 'fed' him.

but heck, whuddooeyeno...:D

right. i've been posting music and trolling on this wesite for 7 years now. nice catch. i'll go away now.

Well, 5 years. :p

Look at the big 3 auto makers coming back with vintage looking cars. The market supports it. Would the market support analog again?? Maybe in some hybrid version, but tape-based?? Maybe not. Hmmm.... how about an analog hard drive??

You seem bitter.

Here's a cute girl with a puppy to help put things in perspective.

F4C2238B011EC373890C4EACA6A5B.jpg

~Timothy
;)

You seem bitter.

lol. yeah, i'll never get over the fact that i can't record onto a cassette tape or a 1/4" reel to reel anymore. it's devastating.

you analog guys crack me up with the better sound thing and all the other excuses you make up. freaking ridiculous.

lol. yeah, i'll never get over the fact that i can't record onto a cassette tape or a 1/4" reel to reel anymore. it's devastating.

you analog guys crack me up with the better sound thing and all the other excuses you make up. freaking ridiculous.

Never mind all that.

What about the girl, and the puppy?

EXACTLY - that is correct. make sure to tell everyone you know about the superiority of digital recording as well. also, combo organs are not worth anything either. especially vox organs. digital has pretty much improved upon analog accross the board with the nord electro. if you or your friends happen to come accross tape machines, old dirty keyboards or any of these useless monstrosities (why on earth did they make them so big and inconvenient?!?!), send me an email and i will make sure that they are disposed of properly in a way that is not hazardous to the environment (after all, they also contain POISON in the circuits).

EXACTLY - that is correct. make sure to tell everyone you know about the superiority of digital recording as well. also, combo organs are not worth anything either. especially vox organs. digital has pretty much improved upon analog accross the board with the nord electro. if you or your friends happen to come accross tape machines, old dirty keyboards or any of these useless monstrosities (why on earth did they make them so big and inconvenient?!?!), send me an email and i will make sure that they are disposed of properly in a way that is not hazardous to the environment (after all, they also contain POISON in the circuits).

i don't visit junkyards or electronic waste facilities so i'm not sure where i'd run across any of that scrap, but if i see something in a trash can on the side of the road i'll pull it out and shoot you an email.

Believe it or not...I scored a "new" (unused) one for about $600 w/remote on eBay last spring.
It came from the storeroom of a closed radio station in PA...it was their spare.
Got it in the original box with manual. :cool:

That is now going to be my main mixdown deck/format....and then I will bounce back into the DAW for mastering touch-ups.

:)

That's the find of the century.

ain't happening. analog is dead. it's last remaining remnants are right here in this forum, and that's only because its members aren't smart enough to figure out how to record onto a computer

Heheh...cooool...I'm part of a "remnant". Beats being like everybody else. Hey, I really have the best of both worlds in my CRL SEP400 dynamics processors...the manual refers to them as having "analog computers" inside. Now if I can just figure out how to record to them...

I haven't voted yet but I'm going to vote "no" for identical reasons to what has been stated. It is a niche market and I believe it always will be. By "multitrack" I'm assuming you are meaning 4 or more tracks? Maybe 3 or more? IOW NOT a half or quarter-track stereo deck...anyway, for a company to make ANYthing it has to pencil out finanically, and that usually includes an analysis of the market and the return on investment and for what it would cost to design, manufacture and market a new product that is as mechanical as an open reel tape deck juxtaposed against the (subjective) potential demand in the market, I can't see it penciling out. I CAN see it continuing on as a more and more substantial secondary market, but it will remain specialized to analog freaks...

Tascam has moved WAYYYYYY beyond the 388. They will never reproduce anything like that.

Maybe somebody will make a nice virtual reel deck with an LCD screen on it that plays back images of reels spinning...it'll have an aromatherapy gizmo on it so you can smell tape when fast-winding, and they'll put lead blocks in it so it weighs a lot. If they did this then ez would have something new to mock...frankly I'd be standing right next to him on that one. :D

Anyway, that's what I think FWIW. Another tangental thought to support my position: operating an open reel tape deck DOES take special knowledge and equipment if you do any maintenance. That creates a natural threshhold of interest. Our "western" culture in general doesn't want to fuss with stuff like that or take time to learn. We DO want to take that time because of an interest in the medium, but anything that takes special skills, time, resources will be of little interest to the masses, and that goes for hauling the thing to a tech shop for maintenance (if you want to sidestep the DIY aspect). And anyway the tech shop that is reliable and skilled in maintaining these machines is a dying breed too, in part because it is not lucrative.

Maybe somebody will make a nice virtual reel deck with an LCD screen on it that plays back images of reels spinning...it'll have an aromatherapy gizmo on it so you can smell tape when fast-winding, and they'll put lead blocks in it so it weighs a lot. If they did this then ez would have something new to mock...

i don't need anything new to mock. i've got an entire forum of people that have convinced themselves that recording their crappy music on an analog deck makes it sound better.

that's enough material to last a lifetime.

i don't need anything new to mock.

heheh...dummy...I didn't say you needed anything new, I just said you would have something new to mock. And I don't care if I am wrong anyway. I don't like analog because I think its "right"...I just like it. I like my digital rig too. Oh well...some people just have to be "right". You win, ez. :)

Back