Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why Analog?

Thanks

Wink

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hello...Im looking to get set up and am trying to figure out which way to go. I am looking at either a Tascam 388 reel to reel 8 track circa 1985, or, getting one of these 8 track digital jobs for the same price.

Why would you choose analog (or digital if applicable)?

Is it a myth that good analog will get you a "richer" sound? If so, then why use it? If not, why do people goto digital (for the ease of manipulating data?)?

Thanks

Thanks

Wink

I'd go for digital. You can always run a digital track thru a tube compressor or similar outboard gear to warm it up. Yes, digital is easier for editing. And I believe that alot of people here will agree that if youre going digital, why not do it on your PC?

Thanks

Wink

Two different monsters. Why try to get one sound from the other? Well, the answer is money for most people. However, that answer is true only to the people looking at semi-pro gear (most of us). When looking at the real pro gear (whatever that may be), then I don't believe that's the reason; and I really don't know what to tell you, except this: If you're going for the "analog sound", use analog. Me, I want both worlds. So that's what I have.

Thanks

Wink

Please forgive me, but what IS the "analog sound"?

When you say you want and have the best of both worlds, what do you mean? Do you record on analog and then mix down or master in digital? Would that option give one the best of both worlds?

Thanks

Wink

No. What I mean is I own an Alesis ADAT-XT digital 8-track, a Tascam TSR-8 1/2" analog 8-track reel-to-reel running at 15ips w/dbx, and about to begin working on a custom 2" analog 24-track reel-to-reel running at 15 or 30ips designed by Hayne Davis of Davisound, all for tracking. Also, I own a DAW in my personal computer, an HHB 850 digital CD-R/CD-RW recorder, a Fostex M-20 1/4" analog 2-track reel-to-reel w/timecode running at 15ips w/dbx, and eventually need to buy a DAT recorder and replace the M-20 with a 1/2" analog 2-track reel-to-reel running at 15 or 30ips and possibly w/Dolby SR, all for mixdown.

This way, I have many options to choose from; all depending on many factors including what the client wants or can afford (because of media costs).

Same thing with your outboard gear such as preamps and compressors. I wouldn't want all tube gear or all transistorized gear. It's all the same idea with mic; the circuitry, the cap sizes, etc. Of course, I'm still not done gathering my min. for outboard gear and mics.

Thanks

Wink

Hi, Recording Engineer
    You caught my attention with your comment that you own a TSR. I am considering 1/2" options. Are you happy w/ it? Are you familiar with Otari MX5050? Comparisons or other suggestions to consider?

My email is tleigh@ameren.com if you prefer to discuss offline.

Thanks!
    DW

Thanks

Wink

I actually like the TSR-8. A lot of people don't realize you gotta push the hell out of it though. With it, just beacuse the signals off the LED scale, it's not goingto hurt it.
    If you purchase one, just make sure the heads are in good alignment and make that puppy fry. Also, I actually love the sound the dbx noise reduction adds to it.

As far as comparing to the Otari MX5050, which I've not used myself, some have mixed experiences. I know a lot of people who say the MX5050 will smoke any TSR-8. I've also heard many people say the MX5050 is really not that great of a machine; especially for being an Otari and would take a TSR-8 over it any day.

Thanks

Wink

Tubes can only add even distortion to your digital recording. This resembles what happens when you slam tape with a signal.
    The deal with analog is that it is ANALOG!!
    An actual curve of an actualy sound and not a binary representation. Did you know that humans are able to perceive a delay of 15 microseconds. The delay between snapshots taken by the digital recorder are greater than this until you get to a 192khz sampling rate!!!! Then digital will perceptively sound ANALOG.

Thanks

Unhappy

Silent Sound: Hey- let's tone down that claim a tad. You say that humans can discern a 15 microsecond shift in the program that will be noticeable in sample rates up to 192KHz. I say you'd better amend this to say, "Some Humans" instead. A 1/2" 2-track Scully sounds really nice no matter who is listening.

Thanks

Cool

Can you hear when something is to the right or left of you?? If you can hear the difference, you are hearing at the very least, a 15 millisecond delay. That's how we interpret location. Your mind biangulates by the fact that something to the side of you reaches one ear before the other. Since we are able to notice down to a 15 ms delay, it doesn't make you silly in the head to think that 44.1 doesn't sound as "real" as analog, or a higher sampling rate. The first cd weezer did says AAD on the back....tracked analog, mixed analog, mastered to digital. Before i was aware of this, I thought it was the most natural sounding new cd i ever heard. I blame it on the fact that we aren't hearing numbers, but actual voltage changes causing speakers to move causing pressure changes. And it's fine not to believe this aspect of it, but I am fairly certain that tubes complement digital only by sounding like the saturation of tape which is not always a desired effect in recording. Sometimes straight, clean, analog recording is what you want. Just for the sound of actuality. or something like that i gotta go do push ups........

Thread Information