Where do you find a good old tape machine on this planet?!

So, I'm a long time reader, and I haven't posted in a long time. But now I feel it's time to ask.

To those who own a decent sized pro, semi professional machine, I ask you, where did you get your machines, and how much did you pay? I am always looking in my local classified for something, but it is only on very rare occasions does anything tape related pop up, and if they do it's always Tascam and Fostex 4 tracks, and portastudios. You get the very occasional Studer 2 tracks, but that's it. Never any larger scale pro hi-fi 4 tracks and up type machines. SO, my search extends to ebay, a place I wouldn't want to purchase a tape machine from anyways, but I can't seem to find much of anything there either. This week I found 2 Studer a80's, and there's always a chess records ampex 4-350 on there for $12,000, but never much more. Has the worlds tape machine supply run dry? Have all the machines been bought up by the aspiring analog heads that came not to long before me?

HAVE I ANY HOPE?!....

my craigslisting continues.

I bought my 38 from a guy on Craigslist and my both my Otari's from a local radio station that had them in storage. The 38 cost about $250.00 and the Otari mtr-10 was $50.00 and the MX-5050b111 cost 30.00

No Brainer Audio pops into my head--Chris Mara refurbishes old MCI machines into something more reliable and ready to work. He charges top dollar for them compared to other used MCI machines, but much cheaper than when they were new, that's for sure...he has a few on eBay, the MCI machines with the repainted gold deck plates are his. Blevins Audio also deals in used machines, mostly pro machines, Mostly MCI but also Studer and the occasional Otari and sometimes a semi-pro machine pops up too. They're not always refurbed but usually checked through so you'd know what you were buying. Again, going through a broker you pay more and especially if they've been worked on, but that's the flipside to finding a used machine that might be reliable! ;) I've seen those guys selling various formats of 2, 4, 8, 16, 24 track machines. Otherwise it's keep fingers crossed and keep watching the classifieds on the various audio forums, eBay and CLs...there are a lot of tape machines floating around out there but most of them need at least some work.

Yeah, there are bargains out there, still- I got my Tascam for $100, also via craigslist. It's the same as it always was: you gotta be in the right place at the right time, and gotta know your stuff before you get there!:D

Rene, go ahead and look on ebay. Just make sure you ask the seller if everything functions up to spec, and to INSURE your item! In case the recorder comes in and something is a bit fussy see if you can fix it yourself. If not, file a paypal dispute and say that you have an e-mail from the seller stating the item did in fact function up to spec. AKA item not as described! Honestly if your going for a 60s type sound I would purchase two Teac 3340s and bouce your tracks using monitors or some low-fi headphones. If you need more tracks go for a Tascam Ms16, tascam 38, teac 80-8, or a fostex E8. All that matters really is if you are using tape, and the music sounds like a classic western written song. Not western as cowboy but western type music that developed a long time ago. I also make sure everything is smooth and not to loud. I like music to lift me off my feet therefor you might want to have many tracks to enhance your soul

Briank, I have also had contact with Chris Mara. He helped me calibrate my Ms-16. I get e-mails time to time about tape machines he refurbishes and sells.

I found from personal experience that Randy Blevins is a chump. Had a deal going on then tried to call and email many times and he just wouldn't respond. He might do good work but I'll never deal with him again. I expect people to keep their word but when they don't I get a little annoyed. That's just me tho.

the blevins website appears to be down, where can you look at their catalogue? I really hate when people don't keep their words also, I've dealt with a few of those in the past. And, I did find the No Brain audio page after I made this thread last night. Wow, his stuff looks really quite good, but what kind of 'top dollar' price are we talking about?

Here's the No Brainer ebay page http://stores.ebay.com/No-Brainer-Audio?_trksid=p4340.l2563 ...I doubt they put all their machine on eBay but this gives you an idea...don't know if those prices are negotiable or not; I'd certainly hope so, but mind you they're rebuilt.

Blevins has been erratic lately, no doubt, and the rumor mill has been swirling but I don't personally have any comment on it other than to say the usual site went down, and he has a temp site where you can see the tape machine listings here: Blevins Audio Tape Machines Only other comment I would have is I'm keeping an eye on Blevin's Audio in case he starts liquidating, especially his spare parts....

Last edited:
the blevins website appears to be down, where can you look at their catalogue? I really hate when people don't keep their words also, I've dealt with a few of those in the past. And, I did find the No Brain audio page after I made this thread last night. Wow, his stuff looks really quite good, but what kind of 'top dollar' price are we talking about?

He caters to a lot of recording studios in the Nashville area and his prices prove it. I will say he is a very knowledgeable man with this stuff.

I bought my 38 from a guy on Craigslist and my both my Otari's from a local radio station that had them in storage. The 38 cost about $250.00 and the Otari mtr-10 was $50.00 and the MX-5050b111 cost 30.00

I did not need to hear that.... (Nor did my wallet)

In lieu of great deals like these, you can get refurbished machines at Audio Village in Palm Springs. Got a refurbed MX5050BII1/2-2 from him Audio recording, studio sound equipment brokerage: Audio Village (not sure what makes him an .org but,....)

Of course C-List and Ebay. I just don't seem to find those awesome deals, OK, I did find a McIntosh receiver at an estate sale once for $4.00. Needed a bias adjustment. If you go the non-local route, READ and RE-READ the sticky shipping thread here, and insist you seller has half a brain to follow it. Don't be shocked to spend $100 or more on shipping depending on the machine, you can pay less and get a broken machine.

I found a tascam 38 in lethbridge (which is a small town in the same province/state as me) for $300. But, I'm just wondering if i should hold off until something bigger and better comes up and I can just go all out. I have a Tascam 22-4, it seems to me the 38 is just about the same thing, but twice the amount of tracks. The room the tracks have on the tape is the same.

Did I just miss it or did nobody say craigslist??

Low mileage Tascam 48 AND 58 for $250...

Ampex MM-1000 1" 8-track with Ampex 440C-2 AND a truckload of parts, equipment, accessories and spares, $300

Both bought by me off of craigslist.

Oh...VGC Tascam BR-20T with RC-402 remote and appropriate Tascam tilting rack, $350.

CRAIGSLIST.

Add Vintage Texas to the list of "good guys"...refurbish, repair and resell...you may pay a relative premium but you are getting guaranteed work and deck of known condition...and Rolf is just a super guy.

But CL is my #1.

Got my Tascam 388 off of CL too...$350 IIRC?

My Tek scope too...$70 IIRC.

Did I just miss it or did nobody say craigslist??

Low mileage Tascam 48 AND 58 for $250...

Ampex MM-1000 1" 8-track with Ampex 440C-2 AND a truckload of parts, equipment, accessories and spares, $300

Both bought by me off of craigslist.

Oh...VGC Tascam BR-20T with RC-402 remote and appropriate Tascam tilting rack, $350.

CRAIGSLIST.

Add Vintage Texas to the list of "good guys"...refurbish, repair and resell...you may pay a relative premium but you are getting guaranteed work and deck of known condition...and Rolf is just a super guy.

But CL is my #1.

Got my Tascam 388 off of CL too...$350 IIRC?

My Tek scope too...$70 IIRC.

Craigslist is great if you live in the USA, but here in Canada it's basically unused (save for in Vancouver, and Toronto). Now, I do still do a search of all craigslist American cities often using searchtempest.com, and sometimes I find stuff (found a 440-4 yesterday in Washington, one of the closest american states to me, still a full day and night drive out) but it's beaten up looking, and he wants $1200. I want to hold out for at least an 8, or a 16 at best. Point is, anything I find on craigslist will mean trecking on a week trip out of Canada, and into the states to get the "perfect" machine (as I don't imagine your 'average' craigslist wants to ship a mm1000, I have had some people in relatively close states to me, refuse to ship me comparatively small pieces of rack mountable gear.)

I mainly search for the ampex machines, but even if I find one, it's a gamble.

Kijiji is big in my town, I put up an ad today, looks like this. I got 2 offers already, one of them an Otari mx5050 mk III 8, a machine I considered buying 2 years ago, and was almost confirmed (with a guy on this forum) but the guy sold it to a local before I could pay him. What's better, a 38, or a mx5050? Or is this a matter of brand name love? I like the mid range tape machine sound, although my 22-4 is pretty entry level, it's still of the mid-fi quality.

But still, I just am after bigger fish I think. I want a hi-fi machine. The studio that employs my used to have a pair of fostex G16S, and although according to my 'boss' they definitely had the benefits of tape, it also had too much of the downsides, bad Wow and flutter, noise, and the 16 tracks to 1/2" ratio is pretty tight. He said they were lo fi, and that if he was to reintroduce analog into the studio (something that we are seriously considering doing) that he would like to have what he called a "true Hi-Fi tape setup" . We already got a Studer (A A810 I think???) 2 track mastering deck, now we need the multitrack machine to match it. holding off for a Hi Fi seems like a good idea, but will one ever come blowing through? I hope so, but am ever skeptical...

BTW, sweetbeats, your mm1000 8 track is great, I am green with tape machine envy. I've been following that thread more or less for like, 2 years now. Good luck with it, and be sure to let me know if you ever wanna shake it. haha

I recently grabbed a Tascam TSR-8 in very good condition for $300 + $60 shipping from Music Go Round (Music Go Round). They don't always have stuff, but it's a place to keep your eye one. They were very helpful and inspected the heads and sent me photos while I was in contact with them (I'm not located near them). Hope this helps.

So, I put up a WANTED ad on Kijiji, and the responses have been more frequent than expected...

There is a man who knows where I can find a 2" 16 track Studer A80, and the price is going to level off at $4000, he sold it to his friend for that much 2 years ago, and his friend wants to go digital now also. SO, yeah, I can't believe it worked.

SO, what do you think are better 'sounding' machines? Betwixt the A800 stuff and the A80 stuff? I'm aware of their mechanical differences.

Briank, when I saw the OP I was going to mention Chris Mara. I bought an MCI from him a few years ago for $400 and he delivered it to me in Cleveland. This guy knows his shit. Plus he's a great guy to work with.

Back