where can i get tape for my fostex r8?

I think Quantegy 456 would be your best choice. As to where to get it, where do you live? Do you want to pick it up locally or mail order? Any of the larger mail order places should be able to get it for you.

Quantegy 456 or 457 should do'ya.

I have a primo connex on reel tape in the L.A. area, if by chance you're in L.A. It's a storefront operation, & no mail order, to the best of my knowledge.

There must be half a dozen archived posts on this site that have web links to online tape media ordering houses. A search on this site might help.

If I run across my list of links for tape media suppliers, I'll also post, when I have a chance.

thanks guys. i went to that website, and noticed there is a higher quality tape available (GP9).. would i have to reconfigure my r8 in any way to use the higher quality tape? are there any downsides?

Yes, you would have to have your machine biased specifically for the GP9. The downside: You would only be able to use GP9 tape unless you had it re-adjusted.
The upside: I personally find the GP9 to be head and shoulders above 456. I had a really fine technician set up my machine (Teac 40-4) for GP9, and the difference between it and 456 is amazing. Best of all, the price difference is negligible.

lansingxcore said:
thanks guys. i went to that website, and noticed there is a higher quality tape available (GP9).. would i have to reconfigure my r8 in any way to use the higher quality tape? are there any downsides?
You will definitely need a qualified tech to take a look at your machine before running GP9. First, I doubt that machine will be able to provide enough gain to the record head to take advantage of the 3db more level you can hit GP9 with. Second, if the electronics do have enough gain to take advantage of the elevated level, you may run in to cross talk problems beacuse of the higher levels. And third, GP9 is a thicker, heavier tape stock. Your reel motors, etc may not be able to handle the extra weight.

RKHambridge said:
Mine says it's calibrated for AMPEX 457

Ampex is now Quantegy. It's the same tape. They make a 456 and 457. The difference is the thickness of the tape. 456 is about 1.5 mils thick. 457 is thinner, at about 1 mil thick. GP9 is even thicker still, I think it's about 2 mils thick, not sure exactly.

Quantegy 457 is still available, I would stick with that.

Quantegy 457 would be my first choice if you can find any. If not, I would select Quantegy 407 over 456. Like 457, 407 is 1800' tape with lots of niceties designed for stability, low noise and hi freq response.

The key with thinner tapes and narrow track widths in this application is that the thicker tapes my not conform as hand in glove to the tape head. So you lose hi end and detail.

By the way ebay has some from time to time

:cool:

Back