Where can I get a Fostex B16 drive belt - UK

skaboosh

Where can I get a Fostex B16 drive belt - UK

I tried SCV the distributor and no joy there,

is there a place I can get one of these?

any help greatly appreciated...

cheers

Roy
skaboosh

do the belts have ridges, or is it smooth? I remember my old r8 the belts had ridges on them to properly attach to the motor's grears.

The store I work in has a huge wall of belts! But all of them are smooth.

Thanks - it is a completely smooth belt, and my rough measurements are 8mm wide and a circumference of around 155mm

diameter is around 115 mm when the belt is laid flat in a circle....

thanks

NB: I've decreased the size by about 10mm as this belt is worn and too loose....

Last edited:
thanks, absolutely, my first port of call...

over here the distributor is SCV.....I believe.....

is there another number or division by any chance...???

maybe I should try Fostex U.S. :confused:

I've been trying to get through to TASCAM but have had no joy, I wonder if they have a same sized belt......

all help still required and very much appreciated....

Roy
skaboosh

well I now emailed spares in Fostex US, they don't seem to want phone calls anyway, ( I don't even know the US international code...LOL)

fingers crossed...... ;)

skaboosh said:
well I now emailed spares in Fostex US, they don't seem to want phone calls anyway, ( I don't even know the US international code...LOL)

fingers crossed...... ;)
Fostex are supposed to be very, very bad about parts and support, so I wouldn't put too much faith in their willingness or ability to help.
I don't know the B16, but I'm assuming it's the capstan belt.
If the worst comes to the worst, would it be possible to repair the belt, or adapt, say a Dyson DC01 belt to fit the capstan?
Cut a section out of it and glue the ends together. Or a would a Tascam belt fit?

Thanks man,

I tried Tascam

they sent me to fostex...
I'm getting dizzy...

I've now ordered a whole bunch of belts (around ten or so) from a general belt supplier, and see if one of those will do the job.....

fostex replied witht eh obvious statement that b16 spares are long since gone,

we know this and so an equivalent is what's needed........

sorry this is sooooo boring!!! :(

I hope one of the many belts I oredered will work...

I am actually surprised the spares are gone. I called them once to get a manual for a spring reverb that is probably 20 years old and they had it...I guess its easier to hang on to manuals than belts. I know I'm lame but I wanted it. good luck, man.

Thanks Falken...

it wouldn't surprise me if they keep manuals or photocopies of those for ever, like Roland UK used to have (and probably still do) all the old CE1. Phase 2, re201 manuals, circuits etc....and sell them for a nice little earner....

thanks again, man...the hunt should hopefully be ending soon.......else it'll be on my tombstone as a gripe!!!!! :D

Fostex were pretty quick to respond, both the service section and the parts section

...very polite...no result on the belt, but I didn't really even expect a reply and both of my emails were replied to....

not bad...... :)

turntable kit arrived containing several belts.........

no use whatsoever....basically thin stretchy belts, nowhere near the strength...the hunt continues........ :(

skaboosh said:
turntable kit arrived containing several belts.........

no use whatsoever....basically thin stretchy belts, nowhere near the strength...the hunt continues........ :(

I still say the Tascam belt (hmm.. I have a '32 and a Fostex A8, neither of which are currently in use. I may try fitting the '32 belt on the A8 and see if it takes. Of course I don't know if the same design as the A8 was used in the B16, although the machines are about the same vintage.

Thanks man

could you measure the belt maybe?

I posted my belt sizes above....

if you post the measurements I could maybe track one down if it seems the same kind of size....

cheers

Roy

Thanks Dave,

that looks promising...

I got a guy gonna check his stock overnight...

but that link you gave looks really positive...

thanks....it's been a harder search than I thought... :eek:
Roy

skaboosh said:
Thanks man

could you measure the belt maybe?

I posted my belt sizes above....

if you post the measurements I could maybe track one down if it seems the same kind of size....

cheers

Roy

Nuts, the Tascam belt seems to be too big. Laid out flat it's about 195mm,
about 130mm diameter when laid in a circle. I won't bother opening the A8 then.

But the guy I spoke to a few years back when looking for a belt for the A8 (it was actually the PSU that had gone funny, not the belt) reckoned that he fixed R2R machines by cutting up the belt (or another kind of belt.. he sold washing machines and spares) and gluing the ends together to shrink it.
I did use this trick on my B77, the counter of which is now driven by a piece of inner-tube, but I must admit I'd be a little cautious about doing this on the capstan belt (which is more critical than the counter).

thanks for that.....

the idea of glueing feels like a non winner but could be worth a go if I get desperate......

what glue though?

I think when I find the belt I'll try and get a pinch roller as well as mine is a bit shiny........I guess that could cause slippage.......

thanks again

Roy

Back