When is the last time you saw one of these?

Must be over 50 years ago I had a Grundig (iirc) tape machine in for repair that was the forerunner of the iPod. A spool of tape 100mm wide and a head that moved up and down it on a system similar to the Strowger tel' exchange.

I think that was the Schaub Lorenz Music Centre - more about it at Schaub Lorenz 5001 Music Centre - UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum with a link to a fascinating video.

I had some 8 track production masters here to transfer last year and it was interesting to see how they had re-ordered all the tracks but, even with the different order, they still had to split tracks in the middle by fading them out, switching track and then fading them back in again. In theory the sound quality was better than on cassette but I remember a hifi magazine doing a comparison when 8 tracks were still current and the cassette came out on top.

The idea of lubricated tape thankfully died out! Although don't forget the similar NAB cartridge machines for jingles kept going till at least the 90s. 7.5IPS stereo meant even better quality, when they worked. I remember replacing these with a machine that played jingles out from floppy disks! Never caught on.

The idea of lubricated tape thankfully died out! Although don't forget the similar NAB cartridge machines for jingles kept going till at least the 90s. 7.5IPS stereo meant even better quality, when they worked. I remember replacing these with a machine that played jingles out from floppy disks! Never caught on.

Gawds, I remember those at the radio station I used to work at...... ours was so balky it was hit or miss EVERY time..... We always had reader cards at the ready.....

We had the NAB carts when I worked at the radio station in college. They held all the commericals, PSA and promotional bits. They worked pretty well, as I recall. Smack the button and off they went. The only issue I remember was people not changing the label on the cart, so you ended up with the wrong announcement!

I wish I had even ONE of the aircheck tapes from those days.

Are you referring to all that NuFinish car polish home remedy nonsense that was circulating a few years back for fixing old tape....? :p

I think he's referring to the tape used in the 8 track cartridges which was lubricated on the back because the tape had to constantly slip against adjacent layers in the pack. I always found it amazing that they actually worked.

Yeah...'Scotch' 3M VHS tapes were lubricated and advertised to last 'forever'. I untangled more 3M tapes and cleaned more video heads because of them than any other brand!

Dave.

Come on guys - it's not that ancient history
Rob, the last time I recall seeing one, both the UK and the USA were run by Jimmy Cs !*
Until fairly recently, millennials had enough problems getting their heads around EPs and 45s ! I can't even explain 8 tracks !!

I hated 8-tracks
So did I. I was a cassette aficionado and I always thought the 8 track was the clunky poor relation.

it was interesting to see how they had re-ordered all the tracks but, even with the different order, they still had to split tracks in the middle by fading them out, switching track and then fading them back in again
It's funny. I would generally rearrange my vinyl onto tape in the song order I liked {I still do that with albums now} but I hated it with 8 tracks. I thought they were so ugly and they looked like Betamax videos ~ which I didn't think were ugly.....go figure.

Yeah...'Scotch' 3M VHS tapes were lubricated and advertised to last 'forever'. I untangled more 3M tapes and cleaned more video heads because of them than any other brand!
Wasn't that the brand that had the skeleton advertising it ? They were no better than Woolworth's or Tesco's video tapes and when they stuck to the video head, they really stuck. They were as good as some glues !

*Callaghan & Carter

"Skeleton in the abandoned basement" yes, that was the ad. Total BS. Oddly though 3M HE Philips cassettes were very good both audibly and mechanically.

Talking of weird tape formats...Anyone remember the first 'domestic' Philips VCR? It had a staked tape that wound in and out of two spools on the same axis. Don't know how reliable it was never saw one in for repair and I don't think there was ever many around.
Philips were very clever and original though? Their '2000' video system was excellent. Cassette was about 1/2 way between a Beta and a VHS but was flip over like the audio cassette. Quality did not seem to suffer no doubt due in part to the genius invention of 'Dynamic Head Tracking.

Dave.

Talking of weird tape formats...Anyone remember the first 'domestic' Philips VCR? It had a staked tape that wound in and out of two spools on the same axis. Don't know how reliable it was never saw one in for repair and I don't think there was ever many around.

Yes - I remember seeing those although I never used one. The N1500 had what looked like a cooker timer on the front and the tapes ran for an hour IIRC. Later they introduced the N1700 which ran at a slower speed to give a playing time comparable to VHS and Betamax.

In all seriousness, it seems like it’s been awhile since we’ve had a thread on here that took on a life of its own, being impregnated with a host of interesting history and fascinating information. People get weird about threads being “hijacked”. I’ve never minded...as if the OP “owns” the thread or something. It’s a public forum. Anyway, again in all seriousness, thanks all for giving this little post of mine a life of its own. I’m enjoying the information.

In all seriousness, it seems like it’s been awhile since we’ve had a thread on here that took on a life of its own, being impregnated with a host of interesting history and fascinating information. People get weird about threads being “hijacked”. I’ve never minded...as if the OP “owns” the thread or something. It’s a public forum. Anyway, again in all seriousness, thanks all for giving this little post of mine a life of its own. I’m enjoying the information.

I do so agree Sweetbeats! This is what makes forums fun and you will find this happens quite often over at soundonsound.com.

The only problem with "hijacking" to my mind is when a poster asks a specific question about a certain piece of equipment or maybe a function/glitch in a PC or DAW then someone crashes in with a different question about a totally different bit of kit or software!

So, IMHO let us old fekkers ramble on but keep 'specifics' to a thread of their own?

Dave.

I do so agree Sweetbeats! This is what makes forums fun and you will find this happens quite often over at soundonsound.com.

The only problem with "hijacking" to my mind is when a poster asks a specific question about a certain piece of equipment or maybe a function/glitch in a PC or DAW then someone crashes in with a different question about a totally different bit of kit or software!

So, IMHO let us old fekkers ramble on but keep 'specifics' to a thread of their own?

Dave.

Yes I agree with that.

Happy to be an old fekker. Lol.

Yes I agree with that.

Happy to be an old fekker. Lol.

Well, I had assumed, wrongly? That your vast experience and knowledge resided in a 'mature' brain?
I felt sure you were at or very close to the beginnings of tape recording, at least as it found its way into the mainstream music aka 'pop' industry?

But maybe you are a genius 20 year old?!

Dave.

Hell no...no genius, just an insatiable enthusiast, and child of the (very early) 70s. Maybe not *quite* old enough to be an old fekker, but close enough to be an old fek?

Maybe it doesn't much matter, but --

As we all know, Bill Lear (of Learjet fame) is the inventor of the 8 track and made loads of loot from this thing in the 70s. Helped keep Learjet in bizness during some tough times before they were passed around to other billionaires -- at one time known as Gates Learjet having been purchased by the very rich Gates Tire and Rubber having recently given birth to Bill Gates.

I don't know about everyone, but being raised this close to the Learjet factory, we seemed to have a lot more exposure to 8 tracks what with them demonstrating them in our schools and such.

By 72 or 73, fairly high quality transports were coming available what with the format lending itself to the new and exciting Quadraphonic recordings everyone was panting about.

In answer to your question, this alignment tape isn't as hackneyed as it might appear. Where a consumer deck had simply a plastic ratchet and pawl to drag the heads to the next track, the "pro" grade stuff actually had several adjustments, both mechanical and electronic (those pesky transformers, you know). Like a derailleur, there were adjustable stops. I've seen them, just don't ask me the equipment models because, hey, who cares?

The format is destructive and was doomed for failure and rumor has it that Lear knew this even as he was inking hugely lucrative deals with people like Pioneer and Craig. The tape is always rubbing against itself, being dragged from the core of the pancake. As the pancake was feeding from the center but spooling to the outside, there was never a time that tape wasn't scuffing against itself throughout the motion.

There is no real pinch and captain roller like a cassette or reel unit (though it's called that) because there is no 'pinch' (a steel pin against a rubber roller). The roller inside the tape is shoved against the head by the same spring that retains the casing. The little roller inside was called the 'pinch' roller, but before long, these went from cheap rubber to cheap plastic - and forget about bearings, of course. So slippage, distortion, and erosion was predictably endemic.

If i can find them, i have some never-used blank 8-tracks used for recording (!) as you would a cassette. Labelled as the house brand from K-Mart, no less.

On the good side, it paved the way for cassettes in cars and homes.

Back