Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: When is the last time you saw one of these?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by grimtraveller View Post
    Wasn't that the brand that had the skeleton advertising it ? They were no better than Woolworth's or Tesco's video tapes and when they stuck to the video head, they really stuck. They were as good as some glues !
    Here's one of the adverts;

Thanks
    In all seriousness, it seems like it’s been awhile since we’ve had a thread on here that took on a life of its own, being impregnated with a host of interesting history and fascinating information. People get weird about threads being “hijacked”. I’ve never minded...as if the OP “owns” the thread or something. It’s a public forum. Anyway, again in all seriousness, thanks all for giving this little post of mine a life of its own. I’m enjoying the information.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetbeats View Post
    In all seriousness, it seems like it’s been awhile since we’ve had a thread on here that took on a life of its own, being impregnated with a host of interesting history and fascinating information. People get weird about threads being “hijacked”. I’ve never minded...as if the OP “owns” the thread or something. It’s a public forum. Anyway, again in all seriousness, thanks all for giving this little post of mine a life of its own. I’m enjoying the information.
    I do so agree Sweetbeats! This is what makes forums fun and you will find this happens quite often over at soundonsound.com.

The only problem with "hijacking" to my mind is when a poster asks a specific question about a certain piece of equipment or maybe a function/glitch in a PC or DAW then someone crashes in with a different question about a totally different bit of kit or software!

So, IMHO let us old fekkers ramble on but keep 'specifics' to a thread of their own?

Dave.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    I do so agree Sweetbeats! This is what makes forums fun and you will find this happens quite often over at soundonsound.com.

The only problem with "hijacking" to my mind is when a poster asks a specific question about a certain piece of equipment or maybe a function/glitch in a PC or DAW then someone crashes in with a different question about a totally different bit of kit or software!

So, IMHO let us old fekkers ramble on but keep 'specifics' to a thread of their own?

Dave.
    Yes I agree with that.

Happy to be an old fekker. Lol.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Yes I agree with that.

Happy to be an old fekker. Lol.
    Well, I had assumed, wrongly? That your vast experience and knowledge resided in a 'mature' brain?
    I felt sure you were at or very close to the beginnings of tape recording, at least as it found its way into the mainstream music aka 'pop' industry?

But maybe you are a genius 20 year old?!

Dave.

Thanks
    Hell no...no genius, just an insatiable enthusiast, and child of the (very early) 70s. Maybe not *quite* old enough to be an old fekker, but close enough to be an old fek?

Thanks
    Maybe it doesn't much matter, but --

As we all know, Bill Lear (of Learjet fame) is the inventor of the 8 track and made loads of loot from this thing in the 70s. Helped keep Learjet in bizness during some tough times before they were passed around to other billionaires -- at one time known as Gates Learjet having been purchased by the very rich Gates Tire and Rubber having recently given birth to Bill Gates.

I don't know about everyone, but being raised this close to the Learjet factory, we seemed to have a lot more exposure to 8 tracks what with them demonstrating them in our schools and such.

By 72 or 73, fairly high quality transports were coming available what with the format lending itself to the new and exciting Quadraphonic recordings everyone was panting about.

In answer to your question, this alignment tape isn't as hackneyed as it might appear. Where a consumer deck had simply a plastic ratchet and pawl to drag the heads to the next track, the "pro" grade stuff actually had several adjustments, both mechanical and electronic (those pesky transformers, you know). Like a derailleur, there were adjustable stops. I've seen them, just don't ask me the equipment models because, hey, who cares?

The format is destructive and was doomed for failure and rumor has it that Lear knew this even as he was inking hugely lucrative deals with people like Pioneer and Craig. The tape is always rubbing against itself, being dragged from the core of the pancake. As the pancake was feeding from the center but spooling to the outside, there was never a time that tape wasn't scuffing against itself throughout the motion.

There is no real pinch and captain roller like a cassette or reel unit (though it's called that) because there is no 'pinch' (a steel pin against a rubber roller). The roller inside the tape is shoved against the head by the same spring that retains the casing. The little roller inside was called the 'pinch' roller, but before long, these went from cheap rubber to cheap plastic - and forget about bearings, of course. So slippage, distortion, and erosion was predictably endemic.

If i can find them, i have some never-used blank 8-tracks used for recording (!) as you would a cassette. Labelled as the house brand from K-Mart, no less.

On the good side, it paved the way for cassettes in cars and homes.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ponder5 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    An 8-track cassette...

CALIBRATION TAPE...got one:

Attachment 105959
    I still have one for cassette, but never really knew they even made them for 8-track. I guess they had to have them for the initial head setup at the factory, but I think they would have done better to make a better feed device, that didn't eat tapes.
    Music ~ the International Language

Thread Information