What's good for conditioning pinch rollers & other rubber pieces?

brassplyer

I've got a bottle of Tascam cleaner/conditioner - says contains petroleum distillates. Wondering what if any Hardware store product will work as well or better for conditioning tape player and VCR rubber pieces?

Thanks

The only reconditioning stuff I ever used was that TASCAM liquid...but only when I really needed to *recondition*...otherwise I only use warm water w/Q-Tip/pad (or if you remove the roller form the deck, take it to the sink)...and gently keep rubbing until the tape residue is gone.

The conditioner will slowly eat away the roller over time. If you use it...use just a little bit (don't soak the roller)...and then buff it out with a dry Q-Tip/pad.

I have some Re-Grip that I found "new old stock" at my local electronics shop (the place is a time capsule lol). It's something that I only use very sparingly, and once a pinch roller is shot, it's shot.

I have some Re-Grip that I found "new old stock" at my local electronics shop (the place is a time capsule lol).

Aren't those kind of places super cool when you run across one....but they are less and less.

I remember back in my 20's when we were all waiting to become Rock Stars...and we would need electronic odds-n-ends, we would go to a local electronics shop, the kind of place that was probably born during the ham radio days....and that's where we would buy parts, connectors, wire, etc for DIY stuff. There was no eBay yet or a gazillion online music/audio/electronics stores.....

Aren't those kind of places super cool when you run across one....but they are less and less.

I remember back in my 20's when we were all waiting to become Rock Stars...and we would need electronic odds-n-ends, we would go to a local electronics shop, the kind of place that was probably born during the ham radio days....and that's where we would buy parts, connectors, wire, etc for DIY stuff. There was no eBay yet or a gazillion online music/audio/electronics stores.....

Even Radio Shack was like that in the 70s... including the ubiquitous tube tester that you'd find at the drug store.

Back