whats the difference between a analog tape deck converters Vs DAC and ADC converters?

walters

whats the difference between a analog tape deck converters Vs DAC and ADC converters?

They both are pitch to voltage converters so whats the difference?

Why are the ADAT converters different than regular DAC or ADC converters like moto or apogee?

The ADAT storage analog signals but encoded digital onto the tape storage so the converters are different but how and why?

If i run my audio to a ADAT 8 track and just use the ADAT converters and come out "lightpipe" its analog with digital encoding its different than what a moto or apogee D/A or A/D converters do u know what i mean kiwi?

Analog tape decks before the signal reaches the tape head its be processed from pitch audio analog to voltage level signals so there is converters inside tape decks

A digital D/A or A/D converter is the same thing its pitch audio analog to voltage levels whats the differenece?

ADAT's are a different tech. design its audio signals but stored with digital encoding like back in the days with keyboard tape recorders in a way

walters said:
do u know what i mean kiwi?
I don't even think you know what you mean.

Who's "kiwi"?

All I can tell you is stay away from analog. It will turn your soul into a magnetic flux field.

Wait a minute.

I think that already happened.

Cheers! :)

walters said:

They both are pitch to voltage converters so whats the difference?

Why are the ADAT converters different than regular DAC or ADC converters like moto or apogee?

The ADAT storage analog signals but encoded digital onto the tape storage so the converters are different but how and why?

If i run my audio to a ADAT 8 track and just use the ADAT converters and come out "lightpipe" its analog with digital encoding its different than what a moto or apogee D/A or A/D converters do u know what i mean kiwi?

Analog tape decks before the signal reaches the tape head its be processed from pitch audio analog to voltage level signals so there is converters inside tape decks

A digital D/A or A/D converter is the same thing its pitch audio analog to voltage levels whats the differenece?

ADAT's are a different tech. design its audio signals but stored with digital encoding like back in the days with keyboard tape recorders in a way

Yeah, walters is autistic, or retarded, sure he is! :rolleyes:

Hey walters...do you like nachos? I like nachos. Let's go have some nachos. They are real good.

walters said:

I’m glad you asked. I just happened to have my Akai GX opened ‘cause my vintage EMI reel-to-reel release of Fergie’s “London Bridge” just suddenly stopped… and right in the middle of my groove.

So I took the back off to check the converters, but all I see is my capstan motor driver stopped, dead in its tracks… like it just quit; poor little fella.

So, anyway, it wasn’t the converters. Thank heavens, ‘cause I wouldn’t know were the heck to get replacement converters for an analog deck. I’m getting a new capstan driver locally at PetSmart to save a little on shipping. Ain’t no thang.

Attachments

• capstan.jpg
    capstan.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 151
Cool! This guy has a rep power of 12, while mine is 0. Oh, my shame. I'll just stick to stuff I can handle, like wiping my little kids' butts, and leave the technical stuff to him. It's nothing I would understand.

Otto

Whats a block diagram for a tape deck then

input-preamp-eq- ?? pitch to voltage levels--then to tape head

The tape stores the analog voltage levels onto the tape

Help clear this up for me im confuzzued about this

Before the tape head the input of the tape head is getting different voltage level values from frequencys and pitches right??

The Ghost of FM said:
I don't even think you know what you mean.

Who's "kiwi"?

All I can tell you is stay away from analog. It will turn your soul into a magnetic flux field.

Wait a minute.

I think that already happened.

Cheers! :)

Oi! There's only one kiwi around here!!!

The varing voltages BEFORE the tape head is different varying voltages STORED on the tape is compresses and moves the varying voltages in a different pattern so the analog varing voltages are displaced and compressed AFTER the tape head its not a true converter the tape head is a transducer but the tape head has colouration/contour envelopes,distortion THD to it that is added to the varing voltages on the input singals

Dogman u go in my threads one more time i'll be sure u get Bann from this forum i have talk to the main guy and he is ready to exit u don't risk it

walters said:
Dogman u go in my threads one more time i'll be sure u get Bann from this forum i have talk to the main guy and he is ready to exit u don't risk it

I guess you don't like nachos then. I however love nachos. Who else here loves nachos? :D

!!!

walters said:
The varing voltages BEFORE the tape head is different varying voltages STORED on the tape is compresses and moves the varying voltages in a different pattern so the analog varing voltages are displaced and compressed AFTER the tape head its not a true converter the tape head is a transducer but the tape head has colouration/contour envelopes,distortion THD to it that is added to the varing voltages on the input singals

That is just flat out brilliant!.............. :eek: ;)

walters said:
Someone asked for a kiwi? OK, I think I see what you want. You have a lightpipe connection? What you need to do is get a lighting circuit to plug in to it. Seeing you have a kiwi one you'll need 230V on 1mm TPS, wired back to your switchboard, or HV Patchbay as the 'techies' call it. Touch the end to your tongue to make sure its working, then jam it (you may need to use some force, the light oozes slowly though the 1mm pipe) into the connector on your ADAT.

Watch out - it runs at a beefy 50Hz so will give your sub a good workout.

walters said:
But walters....do you like nachos? Dragon likes nachos, with extra cheese and jalapenos.....I like mine with jalapeno also, and some sour cream. Remember cream? Creamy Milky White Compression...on the nachos....but that's digital.

Analog nachos only have that squirt on cheese. I don't like the squirt on cheese...it tastes all phony.

Use real cheese walters...it makes the best nachos.

Back