Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What's the deal with the FOSTEX 3040 noise reduction unit?

Thanks

Question What's the deal with the FOSTEX 3040 noise reduction unit?

Sign in to disable this ad
    This is a continuation from the following thread:
    https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=284513

I'm just wondering, reading Tim Beck's post and also Blue Jinn's, if it's pretty much confirmed that this unit will only work (stock factory) with the A-4?

Thanks
    Stock factory yes, looks like just the A4, otherwise, I'm not sure yet. Ethan decoded a very simple mod for the Tascam dbx units, so I can't imagine this thing is anymore complex.

I haven't sprung the 18 bucks to get a manual for it. I have the schematics for the A4, and there appears to be a bank of transistors that appear to just send an 8 v cv to the unit to switch it from decode to encode. I think. I don't have an A4 to verify that w/ a meter.

It looks like it is pretty straightforward a control voltage. But that part of the schematic is pretty vague.

I got my eletrical engineering degree from a cracker jack box, so I'm making a lot of assumptions about how transistors work.

Beck Guest
    Yep, the Fostex 3040 is basically designed for the Fostex A-series in the same way the DX-2D and DX-4D were designed for Tascam decks. I almost bought one a few years back, but info on these things is hard to find so I passed on it. I know it could be done if one could find the documentation. I still have the two Sony outboard Dolby C units. There weren't many outboard C units made because Dolby stopped licensing them early on.

For reference the two units I have are Sony NR-500. They work great and I can even use them to decode up to four tracks on other reel-to-reel or cassette 4-tracks from other manufacturers, like Fostex, even though I don't own any Fostex tape decks.

Another outboard Dolby C unit to look for is the Nakamichi NR-200. It does Dolby B as well, so could be pretty handy around the studio.

I'm still curious about the Fostex unit, but my time is best spent on other things these days.

Thanks
    Thanks guys! I ask 'cause I got the 3040 as a freebie recently and I'm not sure what to do with it.... There is some hope, however, as the guy I got it from made a home-made contraption of sorts, a DIN cable and at the end of it a push button remote where you apparently "arm" each track for encode / decode to use with any tape deck. That's what he said. I'll have to put it through its paces and see if it in-fact works but I'll first have to figure out how to connect this thing.... I'll post some photos later. Again, thanks fellas...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cjacek View Post
    Thanks guys! I ask 'cause I got the 3040 as a freebie recently and I'm not sure what to do with it.... There is some hope, however, as the guy I got it from made a home-made contraption of sorts, a DIN cable and at the end of it a push button remote where you apparently "arm" each track for encode / decode to use with any tape deck. That's what he said. I'll have to put it through its paces and see if it in-fact works but I'll first have to figure out how to connect this thing.... I'll post some photos later. Again, thanks fellas...
    Well, in that case it can be modded apparenlty yippeee!!!. The homemade contraption should just switch it from "decode" to "encode" can you post some pics of the inside of that contraption?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jinn View Post
    Well, in that case it can be modded apparenlty yippeee!!!. The homemade contraption should just switch it from "decode" to "encode" can you post some pics of the inside of that contraption?
    I will put up some photos in the next few days but I can tell you for sure that the remote does indeed switch from encode to decode and back again. I checked it out today. The next step is photos and to try it on program material.

Thanks
    OK, here are some photos I made.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dscf1135crop-jpg   dscf1151-jpg   dscf1153-jpg  

Thanks
    If you need any more photos let me know.

Thanks
    Can you get photos of the inside of the 3040?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetbeats View Post
    Can you get photos of the inside of the 3040?
    Sure, no problem Cory. Will do shortly. BTW, I was surprised how heavy the 3040 is. It'd be interesting indeed to see what hardware resides within.

BTW2: is it generally the consensus that outboard noise reduction is of higher / better quality than one that's built in?

Thread Information