whats this...

Outlaws

I was cleaning my Akai 202D-SS and was wonder what this thing is. When I use the machine it is quiet, but after about 5 minutes it gets noisy...not noisy like, clunk clunk noisy, but noisy like fast spinning noisy.

And it spins as soon as I turn on the power whether its playing or not...is that okay too? ...not that the other is...

thisthing.gif

First of all, nice drawing!

That thing is called a capstan and it's normal for it to spin all the time when the power is on if that's how Akai designed it.

Some manufactures design the capstan to spin all the time as a means of allowing for a more consistent play speed with lower wow and flutter.

As for it being noisy, it might be in need a lube on the bearings or it might be a loose belt or dry and cracking or about to crack belt or a worn out bearing.

How loud is it?

Make a recording of the noise and make an mp3 of it so we can hear it for ourselves.

Cheers! :)

umm........

okay........

well actually to save time...........

its COMPLETELY quiet at first....then after a few minutes it is about the volume of a computer fan.

I wouldn't minde replacing a few things like the belt and anything else that is cheap to fix. This thing is like 30 years old and I want to fix it up. Are belts fairly universal for this kind of stuff?

Is there anything else that might need a look at?

beyond what I have already said, I am not familiar with the insides of your machine so, I am reluctant to suggest anything further.

Wait for ARP to chime in on this one. Perhaps he has a better idea about what the problem might be.

For all I know, there might not even be a belt there driving the capstan. It might be direct drive and thus the motor is pooched or it could be a cam drive and that need a lube on its bearings and/or rubber roller replacement.

Sorry dude.:(

I know a lot but, I don't know everything!:D

The Ghost of FM said:
First of all, nice drawing!

That thing is called a capstan and it's normal for it to spin all the time when the power is on if that's how Akai designed it.

Some manufactures design the capstan to spin all the time as a means of allowing for a more consistent play speed with lower wow and flutter.

As for it being noisy, it might be in need a lube on the bearings or it might be a loose belt or dry and cracking or about to crack belt or a worn out bearing.

How loud is it?

Make a recording of the noise and make an mp3 of it so we can hear it for ourselves.

And use a good pre-amp, a neuman mic and mix it using 24-bit so we can hear the nuiances.

acorec said:
And use a good pre-amp, a neuman mic and mix it using 24-bit so we can hear the nuiSances.

You missed the S. But, not to worry, I put it in the quoted text for you ;)

Back