What's This?

Mark7

02_1_s.JPG

It looks like an early version of the MX-80.

I believe that is the M1. An 8 x 2 mixer designed to be a simple mix-down mixer for the 80-8 reel to reel.

I used to own something even more arcane this, believe it or not! It was the Teac MX-1. This was a passive 4 x 2 mixer that simply had switches for each of the four channels so that the track could be left, right or mono on the two channel output.

It came with an old Dokorder 7140 that I got as a used item back in 1978. I have an old picture of it somewhere and might treat you guys to a posting of it, if I can find the snap.

Cheers! :)

Yeah, FM nailed it (as usual). It's the TEAC Model 1 (1977-1979ish), but without the colored knobs. All the ones I've seen have orange and almond colored knobs for the gain and pan controls, and a green knob for the headphone level on the far left. The eight knobs on top are pan and the bottom eight knobs are gain.

http://www.phantomprod.com/vinAd79TeacMod1a.jpg

It's similar to the newer Tascam M-1B, but the specs and layout are a little different.

The model 1 has a S/N ratio of around 70 db, 0.1 THD, and freq response of 30 Hz - 20 KHz, reputation for poor headroom.

I believe they were intended primarily for monitoring the 80-8 rather than mixing signal to tape.

TBeck :cool:

Last edited:
The Ghost of FM said:
I used to own something even more arcane this, believe it or not! It was the Teac MX-1. This was a passive 4 x 2 mixer that simply had switches for each of the four channels so that the track could be left, right or mono on the two channel output.

I have a 4 to 1 mixer. :)

Back