What is a truely respectable price for a Tascam 38 in excellent condition?

I think you could still look yourself in the mirror the next morning if you paid as much as $600.00 for one in excellent condition that came with the two DX-D4 dbx units.

Of coarse, on E-bay, they frequently sell for less but then some of them are not as perfect as what the seller deemed them to be in the description of the machine.

Know what to look for when deciding just how excellent the unit really is and as always, let the buyer beware!!

Cheers! :)

"excellent condition" are the operative words, there.

If it's truly in excellent condition, here's my opinion:

- $299 or below is phenomenal, literally a steal.
- $300-$450 is an appreciably good deal.
- $450-$550 is an average-to-good deal.
- $550-$650 is still a good deal, but is a lot sweeter if RC-71 remote, DX-4D units & rolling rack are included.
- $650 and above would only make sense if the unit was "new/oldstock" or "mint-in-box-never-been-used" type of gear.

That's by today's bid estimates. Your question quoted "excellent condition", which is a huge factor when pricing this type of gear. Remember, the 38 sold for about $2000, when new.

Any added accessories are good. Those accessories are very costly on their own.

Thanks guys.

I am really looking into getting into the analog thing a lot more, but I am not sure where to really get started at. I have done my share of recording on my Roland 1680, but I am still looking at getting something that will be a serious level machine without breaking the bank.

I recently ran across an 8 track 1" Otari. Did anyone else make an 8 track 1"? I think that would be a nice mix of quality and quantity.

Did anyone else make an 8 track 1"?

I think Otari was one of the last companies to offer the format as new back around 1985.

Going into the way-back machine further, you should find that all the biggies like Ampex, Studer, MCI, Scully and a couple others all offered 8 track, one inch machines from around 1968 to the mid 70's.

Shortly after 1970, 24 track, 2 inch machines were all the rage for professional studios and for those that wanted more tracks, back then, they simply synced up 2 machines together to make 46 track recordings or at least ping pong record with two where one would be used for comping parts and then flying that back to the other machine to assemble a tape with 12 stereo tracks that could be managed in a mix-down without going into computer automation which came a few years latter and then everything just got crazy after that point and that's a different thread for a different day.

Cheers! :)

Back