What sweetbeats has been up to anyway...

sweetbeats

Reel deep thoughts...
Well I've been away from my usual torrent of posting everything you never really cared to know about [insert piece of equipment I own here]...been quite busy.

Since I haven't much to share gear-related, and since its "pretty quiet around here" I thought I'd share instead what's been occupying...just about everything here.

After years of analyzing, discussing, getting cold feet, agreeing, disagreeing, etc., my wife and I took the plunge and moved forward with a remodel and addition on our home of 6 years. My lady and I along with our 4 children were eager to stretch out a little beyond the 1300 sq. ft. 1.5 bath home that we had been in, take care of some structural issues, infrastucture updates and repairs/upkeep and create some new spaces. We had a tall order in light of fiscal strictures so there was a bit of "value engineering" and creativity that went into the plans to keep costs down, and a LOT of sweat equity...and its gotten worse because the market is so bad and we got chopped at the knees with the funding of the second half of the project. Oh well...I always wanted to learn, among other things, how to install and trim out windows and install siding right? We were able to use the original garage and a covered porch as subjects for conversion to living space...about 700 sq. ft. of space, and add a new unfinished garage out front...in this way the only new foortprint to the house is the new garage which was the most cost effective way to so it. We broke ground at the beginning of July.

The part of the project about which you all are probably the most interested is the sound room...about 10' x 11' and fully isolated dual-wall construction with a 1" air-gap, blow-in-blanket micro fiber insulation and QuietRock ES on all interior surfaces and all exterior surfaces adjoining living space...separate heating system...low-voltage chases for running audio interconnects through the walls and also outside the room...dedicated 20A service for audio and separate circuits for general power and lighting...blocking in the walls for mounting speakers and computer monitors.

Here is a view from the existing laundry room...through the first doorway is the "mud-room" off the garage and the sound room is the next doorway...you can see a 3-gang box low and to the right of that doorway...that's one of the low-voltage access points, the one outside the studio.

IMG_8411_6_1.JPG

If we walk forward through the mud-room to the doorway of the sound room we see this...the mixer and monitors and other racks will be against the left wall from where I'm standing, and the MM-1000 will be straight ahead on that back wall with the high windows...you can see how thick the walls are around the windows, and the QuietRock is supposed to have the same damping properties as 8 layers of standard gypsum board:

IMG_8409_5_1.JPG

Now if we backup just a little and turn right we are in the garage which is a mess...construction central...there's the back of "Matilda" in the background all wrapped up behind the skateboard halfpipe I'm building...:rolleyes:...oy.

IMG_8395_1_1.JPG

Now if we keep walking forward and take a left we go out a man-door and then if we turn around and look back where we came from we see this...the door we just came out of, and one of the high windows of the sound room...the new garage is on the left:

IMG_8399_2_1.JPG

And then if we turn to the right a little bit we see what used to be the South end of the original house which used to be the garage and is now the sound room and a new bedroom...two high windows for each of those spaces on that wall:

IMG_8400_3_1.JPG

We also cut about 600ft of trenches for storm and sump drain runs as well as power and water out to the field...here's one such trench...you can see my burn pile made up mostly of demolition spoils in the background:

IMG_8423_7_1.JPG

Let's take a closer look at that burn pile huh? I'm very proud of it...the wheelbarrow is there for scale. You can see our horsies in the far off background. We torched the pile today. It was...AWESOME...8 hours later and it is still flaming, and its been drizzling for 4 hours! Flames at least 20' up...hm...wonder if one of the kids got a picture of it on fire...

IMG_8440_9_1.JPG

Okay. Thanks. I feel better.

I always was a fan of the small house on a large piece of land. You've got a bit of paradise there, I can see. Really nice work, Cory. :)

BTW, to say I'm disappointed by the lack of the wood pile fire photos is an understatement. :( .......... :D

Well, for you...

2010_10_08%20008_1_1_1.jpg

2010_10_08%20009_2_1_1.jpg

2010_10_08%20010_3_1_1.jpg

And since you didn't ask, here's a closeup of one my horse's eyes, and a self portrait of one of my girls' feet with some cool clouds...amazing what you can find on your kids' cameras...

2010_10_08%20002_2_1.jpg

2010_10_08%20003_1_1.jpg

That is awesome Cory! Looking great. I bet it's a nice change of pace from being down in some tiny electrical components, huh?:p

Glad you overcame the obstacles and were able to get it finished up. You know we'll be expecting photos of the finished studio, right?:D

Oh wow, you must have posted the pics of the fire while I made my last post. AWESOME! There is a little pyro in all of us.:p

...and I thought I had too many home projects going on at once......and I'm just working on a project studio and bathrooms. Still overload.

I was just going to put a drop ceiling then traps in my project studio/office, but what are you using for the ceiling in the studio, the same quietrock that is on the walls?

You're quite the 'busy bee' Sweetbeats!
Excellent work!!!:)

Love that pic of the horses eye too!
What kind of horse is it?

That is awesome Cory! Looking great. I bet it's a nice change of pace from being down in some tiny electrical components, huh?:p

Glad you overcame the obstacles and were able to get it finished up. You know we'll be expecting photos of the finished studio, right?:D

Actually, and not to sound like I'm complaining, but there's a bit to go yet...the siding is less than half done but at least everything is wrapped...and then there's the caulking...and before the siding can be finished there is some trim to do first. Then paint. Not sure if the paint is going to happen this year. So, its not finished up...paint, floor and trim are yet to be done inside but the outside is the focus at this point. We are financially limited at this point (understatement) otherwise I'd be having contractor(s) finishing it up for us since I'm still battling a herniated spinal disc that is significantly limiting my abilities. Its been a real adventure. I've learned a lot and not just about construction but about my body and that I need to change how I do things, permanently. I'll feel a lot better when all the siding is up and things are caulked.

Needless to say I kind of long to be messing with tiny electronic components again. :)

And CERTAINLY there will be pics when it is finished up. Probably put them in this thread.

Nice!

I like the kids photos too. :cool:

I discovered this stuff the other day. http://www.soundisolationcompany.com/sound-solutions/walls/green-glue/

If you ever decide to add extra soundproofing.

Huh! Hadn't heard of that stuff. I think what I've done will be adequate though...should get me to about STC 65...amazing stuff that QuietRock...no resilient channel needed or anything like that. Just a single 5/8" layer of the wall board along with the dual-layer separation and the insulation. Can't wait until I get the doors on and can test it out with a drum or two...the BIGGEST hope is that drums can be played and it is quiet enough to fall below being a distraction in the house. Notice that one wall of the studio adjoins the outdoors, another adjoins the garage, the other faces the mud-room which leads to the laundry room so there are two rooms in between, and the other wall adjoins the new master bedroom which is in between the studio and the new family room, so not only the is there all the sound isolating construction but a buffer of 1~2 rooms in between the studio and any commonly occupied living spaces. And like I mentioned before the studio has its own heating system (Cadet heater) so there's no common ducting. I turn 40 this year. The last time I had a regular place to have drums setup and left setup to play anytime was over half my life ago. I've waited a long time for this. :o

...and I thought I had too many home projects going on at once......and I'm just working on a project studio and bathrooms. Still overload.

I was just going to put a drop ceiling then traps in my project studio/office, but what are you using for the ceiling in the studio, the same quietrock that is on the walls?

Yes, QuietRock ES. GCalo flagged me on it...I'd never heard of it. I was going to do double-layer standard gypsum board, 5/8" and 1/2" and he just kept saying "nah you gotta use QuietRock." It cost me an additional $800 or so, but in the end my wife and I agreed that it was silly to spend the extra money on all the additional framing and the complications that ensued from that and then not take the most advantage of it...my 5 year old son is a real rocker on his drums...I mean, he is really loud. He's a good drummer. I've learned some things from him about opening the throttle when playing. I measured the SPL level once from 15~20' away when he was playing once...100dB's sustained. He's broken a cymbal. I've never so much as cracked a cymbal. Nt saying that is the pinnacle of drumming or anything but we approach the kit very differently. Anyway, he has coold off on drums because there really hasn't been a place to have them setup year 'round and he doesn't like the whole neighborhood to hear him. He is starting to understand the whole point of the studio...his drums AND my drums will be in there so we can play together. Aw...I'm getting excited again...all the endless work from this project, and the back injury, and the stress...I forget easily why we are doing it...the new family space, utility spaces and the studio and all the problems being fixed...they get lost in the grind of trying to get this done.

Anyway, to your question...yes I've had QuietRock put on the ceiling as well. There is attic above with storage (the roof is 4:12 pitch). The ceiling of the original garage was clear-span 2 x 8 joists 12" OC with 5/8" plywood decking above. That all remains and then I had a new set of 2 x 8 joists run for the ceiling of the studio. See, the outer wall layer of the studio is connected to the existing ceiling, and the inner wall is about 1/2" shorter so it doesn't touch the original ceiling, and then the new joists are set on just the inner wall and staggered in between the original joists. In this way the studio ceiling, like the walls, is totally decoupled from the rest of the house, and then the QuietRock goes on that.

On your case you might look at just having QuietRock put on. Go to their website www.quietrock.com...they basically say forget resilient channel and multiple layers...just install QuietRock as you would regular drywall...done. I'll certainly report how things turn out here.

Wow. You have room to expand, that is so cool. :) (We're land locked here.

We do appreciate what we have for sure. There are times when we get discontent. My wife and I both have a problem with not choosing contentment. I see it as a western culture disease. We really need SO much less than we have and yet IMO it is human nature to want more...and our Pastor has a great way of highlighting that the advertising and marketing we are BOMBARDED with from all angles constantly in our culture is to "make you feel discontent". So my point is that there have been times we aren't happy. We wanted room to run and we found this place. Now there are times we are tired at the upkeep of the property and wonder if we'd be better off, if we'd have more time to spend with the kids, etc. if we weren't "working the land". I guess what I'm saying is maybe "land-locked" ain't a bad thing...maybe it is...don't know your situation. I hope to be ever getting better at just being happy...making some headway with that subject as it relates to gear. :o:)

Huh! Hadn't heard of that stuff. I think what I've done will be adequate though...should get me to about STC 65...amazing stuff that QuietRock...no resilient channel needed or anything like that. Just a single 5/8" layer of the wall board along with the dual-layer separation and the insulation. Can't wait until I get the doors on and can test it out with a drum or two...the BIGGEST hope is that drums can be played and it is quiet enough to fall below being a distraction in the house. Notice that one wall of the studio adjoins the outdoors, another adjoins the garage, the other faces the mud-room which leads to the laundry room so there are two rooms in between, and the other wall adjoins the new master bedroom which is in between the studio and the new family room, so not only the is there all the sound isolating construction but a buffer of 1~2 rooms in between the studio and any commonly occupied living spaces. And like I mentioned before the studio has its own heating system (Cadet heater) so there's no common ducting. I turn 40 this year. The last time I had a regular place to have drums setup and left setup to play anytime was over half my life ago. I've waited a long time for this. :o

Aw man, I hear you on that last one. I've got an old Rogers set I'm dying to have the freedom to play whenever I want. I'm in an apartment now. It's tough. Looks you'll be all set with that set up though. :)

Do I see that olde Ampex machine in that fire?

BTW, you got a permit for that burn.

I am with the EPA and need to keep track!!!

Do I see that olde Ampex machine in that fire?

BTW, you got a permit for that burn.

I am with the EPA and need to keep track!!!

If there WAS an olde Ampex machine in there, it'd still be there when the fire burned down!! :cool:

Permit?? Pshaw, Greg! I'm outside of city limits, and, unlike our neighbors, we wait for a legal burn day to torch ours off.

Techno, no "plugs", but may eventually make some up...lots of scraps of the QuietRock...even a full sheet. I'll make them if needed but we paid extra for the windows with the insulated frames and laminated glass...and they're small.

first of all, your posts have the best photos!

You must have a very good camera.

second, no way could i do a burn off anyway near where i live.

third, i used the quiet rock and found it a bit hard to work with.

I think if you rocking a big project with a pro crew, it's cost effective.

for the tiny rooms i used it in, i found all the cutting to be a pain.

the manufacturs video shows them just snapping it on a pile, but that is unlikely in a small job.

i found conventional rock with green glue to be easier on small projects.

Legal burn days? Not here!

Can't even have a fire in your fireplace anymore w/o Bay Area Air Quality giving one a fine!

Back