What replacement LEDs for Tascam M320B mixer VUs?

Hi! I want to replace burned out LEDs in the VUs of my mid-80s Tascam mixer. Adding colored ones might be interesting. Color shifting LEDs would be awesome....

Which LEDs will work? What specifications should I search for when shopping for them?

Thanks for making my day with your answers!

Is there a rule about replacing LEDs? My guitar amp has backlit controls and the LEDs are half burnt out there too.

EDIT: Okay, I misread that as M30. I couldn't find a clean scan of the M320 service manual, so I have no idea what the power system for the lighting is like.

If it's like the M30, it'll be 6V AC. This might cause flicker if you replace the lamps with LEDs since LEDs only operate in one polarity. With an AC supply, this means they'll flicker at 25Hz (or 30Hz for US/Canada). This can be a real problem if you try to shoot video of the deck ( Little Big Cat (demo) - YouTube )

If it's like the Tascam 32, it could be about 12V DC for the lighting circuit. In which case you'll need to make sure the LEDs are put in the right way around, but you won't get any flicker. However it might be a higher voltage than your LED modules are rated for.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help! I’m going to try those Leds listed above. COOL MUSIC! That recording must sound unbelievably amazing in person!

Back