Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What if TASCAM ...... ?

Thanks

What if TASCAM ...... ?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Here's the scenario: TASCAM announces that it will reintroduce all the popular ANALOG gear it was so praised for in the 80's. This includes the vintage portas, reel to reel, mixers etc ... The re-launch date is January, 2004. The plan is to gradually roll out the gear so that by the end of 2004, all will be available. Now, how would YOU feel about this, if it were true, and do you have any thoughts ? Would it be a good move by TASCAM and, if you were the head guy leading the relaunch, what would you advise ?

Daniel

Thanks
    I'd sell my TASCAM stock immediately.
    Random Pavarotti Disease Victim.

Thanks
    You have shares in Tascam?
    Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-two million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital recording is a pretty neat idea.

Thanks
    This would have to include mixers also......

Then I would ORDER UP !!

da MUTT
    da MUTT

LIFE IS GOOD!

Thanks
    Originally posted by Mark7
    You have shares in Tascam?
    No, but I wish I did so I could sell them.

No, honestly, a 520 just got sold on eBay for under $100. How the heck do anybody in their wildest dreams think that it can make economic sense to make that stuff new today? Come on, it would cost anywhere between 20 to 50 times that price if they were made new.

Sorry to kill your dreams, but keep searching on eBay and you'll find the Tascam stuff of your dreams.
    Random Pavarotti Disease Victim.

Thanks
    Man it sure would be nice to be able to get on the phone and order a brand new 38 48 or 58 though wouldnt it?

Thanks
    I'm not sure how that would work out, but I think Regebro hit on the key factor...Price.
    Would it be cheaper to produce the exact quality today OR so expensive that it wouldn't be a realistic option for the general consumer?

I'm wondering if their last smaller analog mixer was held an over all marked improvement from like featured vintage models in the same price range.

Do you guys think that Tascam service has gear that no one has picked up for whatever reason?

Thanks
    I think it would be great but let's get real here...no one will fork out the cash for an ATR/M mixer combo in today's world of disposable recorders?

I'm with Reg here, they would crash out of the market.

What might work would be a limited rerelease of a couple of their most successfull machines. Or even better the TASCAM guys could buy up some of the old gear and start refurbishing it to factory specs...that would take off. I would be first in line to send some stuff in to them if the price was right.

Thanks
    I'm with Jake.

If Tascam totally refurbished selective pieces their old gear (Practicaly insuring a nearly new piece of gear) for a reasonable price it would perhaps show that they stood behind the quality of the gears first build as well as it's continued longevity. (Not that there is or ever was a question of quality.)
    I think I'm getting at the concept of Tascam analog reinventing itself SOMEHOW.

Thanks

Arrow Yeah but .....

Originally posted by regebro
    No, but I wish I did so I could sell them.

No, honestly, a 520 just got sold on eBay for under $100. How the heck do anybody in their wildest dreams think that it can make economic sense to make that stuff new today? Come on, it would cost anywhere between 20 to 50 times that price if they were made new.

Sorry to kill your dreams, but keep searching on eBay and you'll find the Tascam stuff of your dreams.
    Well, they could have the stuff "Made in China" for one. That would DRASTICALLY reduce costs. Take the KOSS PRO 4AA headphones. These were the headphones to have in the 70's and were made in Japan. By popular demand they were brought back and cost as low as $60 bucks on the net today. They are not manufactured in Japan anymore I believe BUT have the same components. They're heavy, some say uncomfortable to wear for too long, but they sound as good or better than headphones 4x as much! (I actually have them). Yes, I considered buying these on eBay but decided against it. I knew I could save some money but there's nothing better than getting brand spankin' new gear without any surprises (and lifetime warranty) - those who have had bad experiences on eBay or purchasing used gear will know what I mean. Sure, there are folks who love getting their vintage gear cheap on Ebay, and I was lucky enough to get myself a TASCAM 244 in mint condition not too long ago wih ALL the manuals, brochures and catalog - all vintage stuff - BUT I will tell you that other times I was not so lucky and many times I swore in frustration that if I had a choice between new $1000 vintage piece of gear or $100 used gear, I'd opt for the former. The "savings" sometimes are not worth the headaches in purchasing used gear. I KNOW many folks would agree. I think that people are willing to shell out the bucks if they know they're getting quality gear. It all started with the CD and the promise of "digital is better". Fact is that digital sound recording sucks shit and ANALOG rules. It's also a fact that TASCAM, in the 80's, produced gear that simply boggles the mind. It was so creative the way they made this stuff, and how good it was, that I want to scream at them for fucking up later on with their me-too digital "ga-ga" gear and cheap analog multitrackers! Shit, their vintage cassette portas (234, 244, 246) sounded better than all the digital crap they put out today, not to mention the 388 and pro reel to reel decks. TASCAM today is a big piece of me-too pile of crap! Problem started when all believed that digital is the place to be. People are disillusioned with digital, surely from the constant brainwashing by manufacturers, but they will eventually come around. When all the smoke clears ANALOG will be re-introduced. I know this. Ok, I'm done ..

Daniel

PS: I also think that the reason people buy, used, on eBay is because they don't have a choice. If they did, a good percentage of them would buy direct from TASCAM.

Thread Information