What good 10.5" tape would you recommend for 2 hours at 7.5ips ?

Hi,

I often record radio broadcasts on my 2-track Revox B77 (can't afford a Studer A80 right now).

As those broadcasts don't always have advertisements after the last hour to change the tape (I use broadcast tape like PER525/528), I wanted to know if there's any really good and reliable tape reel in 10.5" format which can contain up to 2 hours at 7.5ips (or 1 hour at 15ips).

I know I could use two Maxell 35-90 on the same reel, but I prefer keeping them for shorter recordings. Also, that would make a 3-hour tape, which is too long, hence a full hour wasted.

Any advises ?

Thanks,

David.

Have a look at the RMGI products on this .pdf Broadcast Tapes at the bottom. Maybe consider LPR35 which is long play standard bias tape.

Attachments

• RMGI_Product_Codes[1].pdf
    56.7 KB · Views: 9
Thanks for this interesting document.
I can't find any 1/4" tape which can last 2 hours at 7.5ips. The longest ones are 1100m and last 1.6 hours at this speed.
It seems that I will have to do with not-so-reliable tapes, which won't last long or are more fragile :(
The other solution is to look at 10.5" Maxells, but they're not common.
I missed a lot of two Revox A77 (to restore or for spares) with a dozen Maxells of that size. All went for $120 in an auction. Not sure if the price was right, I didn't look at the tapes condition though...

David.

Back