"What am I gonna do with all this crap?" -- Tales of a Recovering Gear-A-Holic

Now, THAT is a long, rambling post! Tried to read the whole thing, really, I did, but could not make it. Truly sorry, because it was obvious there was some good stuff there.

Perhaps there needs to be a "Recovering Gear Addict" forum? Seriously...

If that forum also addresses people with ADD, it would be perfect! :laughings:

Cheers! :)

As I typed my last reply I thought "nobody is going to read this..." :o

Might even be too long for ME to read! :eek::drunk:

In answer to the question does having the gear help create better recordings I'll offer my take on it. The answer right now for me is yes it does. It does because I've decided that the sound I grew up with (analog tape and vinyl) is more appealing than digital. But I don't plan on owning 20 tape decks but I would own 20 microphones if the mics I want came cheap at thrift stores. At least right I own my stuff and my stuff does not own me.

In answer to the question does having the gear help create better recordings I'll offer my take on it. The answer right now for me is yes it does. It does because I've decided that the sound I grew up with (analog tape and vinyl) is more appealing than digital. But I don't plan on owning 20 tape decks but I would own 20 microphones if the mics I want came cheap at thrift stores. At least right I own my stuff and my stuff does not own me.

Not quite what I meant... I agree that there is, sonically, good reason to purchase analog gear that may be bulkier, less reliable and require high maintenance and repair compared to it's digital counterpart.

However, I meant having multiple 2, 4, 8 and 16 tracks tape machines... this is what gets me.

Sweetbeats, you seem to have thought everything through in terms of what you got and what you need which is really good. I'm not (or trying to) tell you what you need and don't need, just simply what I need in terms of equipment. Your situation is completely different to mine.

Not quite what I meant... I agree that there is, sonically, good reason to purchase analog gear that may be bulkier, less reliable and require high maintenance and repair compared to it's digital counterpart.

However, I meant having multiple 2, 4, 8 and 16 tracks tape machines... this is what gets me.

If you're seriously recording in analog it can't hurt to have at least one quality backup RTR deck. Since most RTR decks are now quite old even a well maintained and serviced one cannot be expected to function flawlessly 100% of the time. So if you've set time aside to record yourself and deck #1 is down you can salvage the session by having a second one on hand to use. Furthermore if you have to replace parts its likely the deck will be down for a while since parts are more difficult to find for RTR's these days. However the way prices for RTR decks are climbing the days will soon be gone where they can be had in quantity at will.

Sweetbeats, you seem to have thought everything through in terms of what you got and what you need which is really good. I'm not (or trying to) tell you what you need and don't need, just simply what I need in terms of equipment. Your situation is completely different to mine.

Okay, I totally get that...and I didn't think you were trying to tell me what I need and that'd have been fine anyway. All the input is good.

I'll bite that having the 388 AND the MM-1000 is overkill...more than I need. There can be justifications for having both but it is really overkill. I'm still keeping them both. :)

If you're seriously recording in analog it can't hurt to have at least one quality backup RTR deck. Since most RTR decks are now quite old even a well maintained and serviced one cannot be expected to function flawlessly 100% of the time. So if you've set time aside to record yourself and deck #1 is down you can salvage the session by having a second one on hand to use. Furthermore if you have to replace parts its likely the deck will be down for a while since parts are more difficult to find for RTR's these days. However the way prices for RTR decks are climbing the days will soon be gone where they can be had in quantity at will.

Well once again you can (for example) just use your 16 track deck for that session instead of the 8 track deck that you were planning to use if the 8 track deck is down right before the session. Also if your seriously recording you shouldn't be repairing the decks yourself if you are not qualified in which case none of your decks should be out of service for more than a week or two anyway.

Of course with my ideology, I would argue everyone should drive the smallest most fuel efficient cars and wear clothes only to keep you warm... but I don't.

I'm just trying to point out to think about your situation a little bit more before using the word 'need'.

Just my opinion:

It seems to me that you like to study and repair analog audio equipment as well as record and have a studio. Really, if its not affecting you financially or with family life, then its OK. If it is, then that's a whole different serious ball of wax. If it's just a storage problem, you can fix that easily enough.

Many hobbies are expensive, but its not like you are spending 2k or more per piece of equipment these days. If you have fun doing it, then do it. If you think you are going to fix a piece of equipment, then keep it, otherwise sell it, or fix it and sell. Many options.

That's why I keep my old gear and am looking for other analog gear right now, I like having it. It's fun. When I don't think I'll have a use for the equipment anymore, I'll sell it. It's not affecting me financially or my family time. No big deal.

my general rule of thumb is: if a year has passed and i have not used something at least once, it's time to sell it (unless its something for archiving or sentimental). in terms of acquiring things, it has to be something i have wanted for a good while and and/or a good deal.

i can't say i always follow these principles but its been helpful having them!

my general rule of thumb is: if a year has passed and i have not used something at least once, it's time to sell it (unless its something for archiving or sentimental). in terms of acquiring things, it has to be something i have wanted for a good while and and/or a good deal.

i can't say i always follow these principles but its been helpful having them!

This is the thing...we have some friends that operate by the same rule only its a 6 month window...and they're pretty strict about it. I want to move in that direction...I'm way at the other end but moving.

When there's too much, it just spreads out the effectiveness whether that be producing something or nuturing relationships or experiencing personal growth...so that's kind of where the utterance that is the name of this thread came from when I was out there...had some of that stuff for 2 years and its done nothing but "literally" collect dust and get in the way emotionally, mentally and physically...

Long story here folks, upon which I will not pontificate but...

Just my opinion:

It seems to me that you like to study and repair analog audio equipment as well as record and have a studio. Really, if its not affecting you financially or with family life, then its OK. If it is, then that's a whole different serious ball of wax. If it's just a storage problem, you can fix that easily enough.

Many hobbies are expensive, but its not like you are spending 2k or more per piece of equipment these days. If you have fun doing it, then do it. If you think you are going to fix a piece of equipment, then keep it, otherwise sell it, or fix it and sell. Many options.

That's why I keep my old gear and am looking for other analog gear right now, I like having it. It's fun. When I don't think I'll have a use for the equipment anymore, I'll sell it. It's not affecting me financially or my family time. No big deal.

I have a wife and 4 amazing kids, a very demanding but meaningful job...lots of stress in all those things but literally I got to the point that I was neraly constantly escaping from life mentally and/or physically in thinking about gear, tinkering on gear, seraching to purchase gear...my decisions were becoming quite irrational with respect to the balance of being present with my family. It was IMHO legitemately an obession and addiction which I have to work to stay out of...been a rough road and I have had help. I was absent from my family emotionally and spending money and it bred trust and distance issues for so long that things had grown cold...the frustration level had grown and my wife felt like she was going to need to separate...I wasn't holding up my end of pretty much anything at home.

So this is the next step kind of, now having a distaste for the things subject herein that once glittered like treasure and now are little more than a burden.

I DO like to tinker on these things and fix them and make them shine, and operate them when they work again, but it was out of balance. I'm MUCH happier when I operat within boundaries, because I'm alive to the many other wonders in my life...gifts that are better than audio stuff...gifts that I can be distracted from if I let it which becomes a vicious spiral when I'm not serving my family...I get a lot of fulfillment and enjoyment from taking care of my family and home and keeping up on those things...tending to those opportunities and responsibilities does much for my mental health but I start to wander and then I'm not keeping up and that stresses me causing me to wander further...but I've been away and returning/waking has been a tremendous lesson and gift...a blessing.

So, it can be very okay, to enjoy this stuff, and my wife doesn't have a problem with it when there's balance, and believe me, her expectations are reasonable...I think of the times she felt alone and yet would still help me move gear and listen to me talk about it and go to bed alone night after night after night...watching me deteriorate from sleep deprivation, and feeling promise after promise get broken...she's put up with a lot. If it was just selfishness on her part I can't imagine she'd support us building a sound room.

lots of stress in all those things but literally I got to the point that I was neraly constantly escaping from life mentally and/or physically in thinking about gear, tinkering on gear, seraching to purchase gear...my decisions were becoming quite irrational with respect to the balance of being present with my family. It was IMHO legitemately an obession and addiction which I have to work to stay out of...been a rough road and I have had help.

I can actually very much relate to the above. I think it is an escape, no matter how well one rationalizes it. It's amazing what the mind is capable of, will fool you every-time, in its effort to cope and then, one day, you realize how foolish it all was. I say let that day be sooner rather than later. ;)

Yep.

Did a series at church on boundaries and one of the quotes from the book we were working through that has remained burned in my mind is "The human mind has an amazing capacity for self-deception."

And now to blow that deep thought right out of the water...

MAN its going to be a tough one to decide about the 440C...I actually slid it off that work table into the roll-around tonight to in order to spool some junk tape on a takeup reel I just sold...first time I've actually mounted reels on it. MAN is it clean...seems to be working well though I can tell the Sprague clutch in the supply brake is shot but I think I know where I can get replacements...but the motors are strong and actions are positive...Its just a neat machine to work with because it is just dirt simple...doesn't even have a tape counter. It just says "Hi...I print sound on audio tape...I read sound off of audio tape...I move tape...you do the rest." No autolocate functions, no fancy tension sensors...

So...I'm going to hold off making hasty decisions on that one. Wish I had a headblock for it but that can come later if I decide to keep it.

But that other 440 in the roll-around and the 440 carcass in the russ lang console need to go for sure.

And I guess I should decide to be comfortable with some of it for now because I'm remembering a lot of what's sitting around is there until I totally go through the MM-1000...once its up and running and especially once I convert to 2" that will define what spares I need to keep anymore. I don't know all what is working and not on the machine itself, or on the electronics (for instance) for channels 9~16...one reason I'm hanging on to that stack of electronics carcasses...extra meters and pots and such. Many of them are consmetically sad and so at some point I can strip and salvage and junk what's not needed.

Back