Were Marantz 4 Tracks Any Good?

Mark7

It certainly looks very nice :cool:

4e_1.JPG

Whoa!

That thing looks cool as hell!

How old is it?

It appears to have a digital display tape counter...I wonder what else is cooking there.. Effects? Auto locate?

I never realized Marantz was in the multitrack cassette game.

:)

I don't have any direct experience with the model in question but, I did used to own a Marantz PMD430 which was a 3 head, stereo professional field recorder that cost me $600.00 Canadian.

It wasn't a similar looking device to the one in the picture as it was just a 4 chanel,2 track stereo unit and had a similar look to it in the meters only. Otherwise. it looks a lot like the TASCAM DAT field recorder in shape in size.

I used it for taping band practises back in the early 90's though, the model haled from their line up in the mid 80's.

The sound quality was quite good as a one pass recorder and was always reliable during the few years that I owned it. After we stopped practising as a band at our drummer's home, I sold the unit for $500.00 to a journalist who needed it for his field work and never heard any negative feedback from him about the recorder.

Cheers! :)

That is one of the early 90's 4-trackers Marantz put out... I beleive I have the back issue review of it from Recording mag (Home & Studio Recording at the time) archived somewhere...

At the time it great rave reviews.... I suspect it's not really any different than of the other higher-budget 4-trackers from the period.

:cool: Mark7; Yes, they were produced about '89-'94, were sold in AMS, muse-friend, interstate catalogues and a few others too.
They were about $100-$150 cheaper in price than Tascam's units, sounded good, a little cheaper on build quality than Tascams, but a fair value for the money..........

da MUTT

Back