Thread: Were Marantz 4 Tracks Any Good?

Thanks

Were Marantz 4 Tracks Any Good?

Sign in to disable this ad
    It certainly looks very nice

Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-two million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital recording is a pretty neat idea.

Thanks
    Whoa!

That thing looks cool as hell!

How old is it?

It appears to have a digital display tape counter...I wonder what else is cooking there.. Effects? Auto locate?

I never realized Marantz was in the multitrack cassette game.

Thanks
    I don't have any direct experience with the model in question but, I did used to own a Marantz PMD430 which was a 3 head, stereo professional field recorder that cost me $600.00 Canadian.

It wasn't a similar looking device to the one in the picture as it was just a 4 chanel,2 track stereo unit and had a similar look to it in the meters only. Otherwise. it looks a lot like the TASCAM DAT field recorder in shape in size.

I used it for taping band practises back in the early 90's though, the model haled from their line up in the mid 80's.

The sound quality was quite good as a one pass recorder and was always reliable during the few years that I owned it. After we stopped practising as a band at our drummer's home, I sold the unit for $500.00 to a journalist who needed it for his field work and never heard any negative feedback from him about the recorder.

Cheers!

Thanks
    That is one of the early 90's 4-trackers Marantz put out... I beleive I have the back issue review of it from Recording mag (Home & Studio Recording at the time) archived somewhere...

At the time it great rave reviews.... I suspect it's not really any different than of the other higher-budget 4-trackers from the period.

Thanks
    We used to have a magazine called Home And Studio Recording over here. Cousins?
    Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-two million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital recording is a pretty neat idea.

Thanks
    Mark7; Yes, they were produced about '89-'94, were sold in AMS, muse-friend, interstate catalogues and a few others too.
    They were about $100-$150 cheaper in price than Tascam's units, sounded good, a little cheaper on build quality than Tascams, but a fair value for the money..........

da MUTT
    da MUTT

LIFE IS GOOD!

Thread Information