Thread: Weird MSR-24 idea

Thanks

Weird MSR-24 idea

Sign in to disable this ad
    There seem to be a number of MSR-24s cropped up on ebay, some of which are at sensible prices. However, I'm not sure about the narrowtrack format, and I don't reallly need 24 tracks anyway.

So, out if idle curiosity, would it be practical to fit an MS-16 head on the MSR24...?

Thanks
    Can't answer that question, and I'm a ways away (next life maybe) from 1" tape, but 24 and 1" seems an interesting compromise, not as narrow as 16 on 1/2" but not as wide as 16 on 1" those MSR-24 (and I think Fostex made a similar deck) have always appealed to me for their compactness, as opposed to the footprint of say the MS-16.

I'd guess the electronics are similar to the MSR-16? I'd think in theory this should be possible. Perhaps you could make a hybrid 1" MSR-16 (some electronics) with the MSR-24 transport and the MS-16 head stack????? Again, I'd assume that there was some similarity in the chassis from a production standpoint. If I had spare time/cash/room/time/cash/time They look a lot alike and both fit in 19" racks.... The MS-16 is a three head machine, the MSR-24 AFAIK 2 head, not sure if that matters the MS-16 heads say REC and PLAY, but it's the same part number on openreel.net...

Or then again, just re-wire for the 16 track head? I'm kinda talking out of my league here... but I do know places like JRF and ATR do wide track conversions, like 1/2" two track from 1/4" machines so this doesn't sound that unrealistic.
    Last edited by Blue Jinn; 03-04-2011 at 16:10.

Thanks
    I know you would be much better off with the extra tracks....trust me. And trust me again....I KNOW how good the MSR24S SOUNDS !!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TASCAM MAN View Post
    I know you would be much better off with the extra tracks....trust me. And trust me again....I KNOW how good the MSR24S SOUNDS !!!
    You're a a little late, I've been using the DBX version for over a year now! In fact it's running right now.
    I eventually settled on using it in a 20-track configuration, with 23 left as a guard band for the timecode, and 1-2 blank. Partly because I couldn't get a mixer with enough channels, and partly to avoid edge damage.

Thanks
    Im new here so I can "be late" haha sorry i guess i was only pointing out how much I love mine although its setting in my closet at the moment But what I really thought was a waste of time was someone really wanting to change the configuration from 24 to 16 !?!?? Thats nuts

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TASCAM MAN View Post
    Im new here so I can "be late" haha sorry i guess i was only pointing out how much I love mine although its setting in my closet at the moment But what I really thought was a waste of time was someone really wanting to change the configuration from 24 to 16 !?!?? Thats nuts
    Heh. I really wanted an MS16, but couldn't find any at that critical point when I'd made up my mind. I only had a 16-channel mixer at the time and also was terrified of the cost of spare heads for the MSR-24 (which indeed, were quoted at 8000 ) . At the time, I'd just seen a couple of people selling complete MS16 headblocks on ebay, so the idea of wedding the two made a weird kind of sense at the time (years earlier I wondered about making a 1/2" TSR-2....)

That and up to the point I'd been using the TSR-8 and the idea of narrower heads didn't appeal.
    But now I'm using one? Frankly I can't tell the difference between the two machines.

Song of Keaton (Studio Only video) - YouTube

Thanks
    i have a TSR8 and now an MS16 that i am restoring. want to buy a spare headblock when it shows up on ebay. Do you know of any headstack to do 8 track in 1" on the MS16 ? is it possible ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fgonza2 View Post
    i have a TSR8 and now an MS16 that i am restoring. want to buy a spare headblock when it shows up on ebay. Do you know of any headstack to do 8 track in 1" on the MS16 ? is it possible ?
    I doubt it can be done stock, because TASCAM never made 1" 8-tracks as far as I'm aware. You would probably have to enquire about getting a stack modified by JRF to suit the MS16 mount.

Thread Information