Weird audio problem when mastering.

Veronique 65

I've had a used Fostex X-55 4-track cassette recorder for a few years now. It was advertised as being in full working order and up to this point it has been; in fact, for a creaky 4-track cassette recorder it's been a dream to work with. It's developed this problem now that we're mastering tracks for a new album: the pan knobs no longer function correctly. If I try to pan left or right, the sound gradually goes quiet and either dies completely or goes into a weird feedback hiss. Sometimes it goes into a bassy boom on one side and a treble hiss on the other. The software on my computer has a stereo meter and it confirms that the sound is not panning, it's either full-volume or reduced volume but the same level on both sides. This has just started and I have no idea what to do about it. I've used contact cleaner on the cables and the jacks, checked all settings to make sure they are the same as usual; I've also tried things like turning the faders higher or lower, turning the EQ up and down, turning the master volume fader up and down,and so forth. Nothing changes it. Has anyone experienced anything like this before? I'm really hoping there is a solution other than chucking my nice machine and laying out money for another.
Thank you in advance.

It sounds like there is a ground problem inside it - bad contact/wire. I thought that it could be problem with PAN potentiometer but when you have problem with faders and EQ too, it could be bad ground.

You have to open it and check it. Maybe some move with wires or small pressure on PCB causes knobs running again and then (when you find that wire/solder pad) you have to re-solder it.

Back