Vintage Texas: Sticky Pinch Roller

Gandydancers

Hello Vintage Texas.I have the same vintage Teac 2300s as in your photos.
My question is about a very slow or won't engage pinch roller. I understand that the linkage might have old grease on the pivot pin that has hardened. Do you have any photos of how to get access to the linkage? Thanks Ed

You ready for surgery ?:cool:
# Take the rear panel off
# Inside on the left side is a bracket across the fly-wheel,
unscrew both + the clamp holding the wire-loom.

Attachments

• DSCF0298.jpg
    DSCF0298.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCF0299.jpg
    DSCF0299.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 90
On the left side of the fly-wheel is the main linkage for the pinch-roller.
# Slip the belt off and clean the capstan-shaft from the front really good.
No brown tape residue of any kind as the bushing is very precise for taking the fly-wheel out of the deck. Any crud left and it will get stuck.
After cleaning just pull from the back gently and fly-wheel comes out.

Attachments

• DSCF0301.jpg
    DSCF0301.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 90
# Now you have access to the main linkage with the sleeve and mounted
moving arms for the pinch-roller + tape-lifters.
Clean the moving arms with Q-tip and MEK, head-cleaner or rubbing alcohol.
If you prefer MEK be careful as the fumes is not healthy so good ventilated area is the best. :)

Attachments

• DSCF0302.jpg
    DSCF0302.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 92
  • DSCF0304.jpg
    DSCF0304.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 89
# After cleaning the linkage arms, concentrate on the sleeve with treads in the center.
# Use a solder-iron 30W or more to heat up the sleeve from the side, be sure there are no wires close and move the pinch-roller linkage from the front at the same time, three hands is a good idea;)

#after 3-4 min you will see a big improvent as the pinch-roller should drop down very smooth without any hesitation when you pull it up manually.

# Now use Gun-Oil or Sewing Machine oil between the inner and outer sleeve, the thin oil will slip in if you tilt the deck forward at the same time.
4-5 drops will do the trick, then re-heat the sleeve again for 1-2 minutes so the oil heats up and find it's way around the both sleeves.

# Lube the linkage's pivot points for the tape-lifters with lithium grease, just a couple of dibs is needed.

# Engage the pinch-roller from the front by hand until all moves smooth.

# Install the fly-wheel again >> be sure the steel-ball is not lost during this.
After you push the capstan shaft thru the bushing, spin it by hand, should be smooth.

# Install the drive-belt again, check so the belt is on the right position on the capstan motor pulley.
Spin the fly-wheel by hand and check so the belt position itself on both fly-wheel and capstan motor pulley.

# Put a dab of lithioum grease on the steel-ball.

# Install the bracket across the fly-wheel, just snug the two phillips screws.
Spin the capstan axel from the front and check how much play it has in/out. A little play is OK.

# Fire it up and press high speed ( 7-1/2 ) check the drive-belt.
# Then press play and see how the linkage works now :)

Good Luck

Attachments

• DSCF0305.jpg
    DSCF0305.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 92
  • DSCF0308.jpg
    DSCF0308.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 90
Thank you, Terrific photos and Explanation. I will attempt it this week and
let you know if the patient survived. Thanks again, Ed

Bravo, Rolf!

Now that is good stuff! I tried to give you some Positive feedback, but it said I had to spread it around before I could give you anymore. :)

~Tim

Bravo, Rolf!

Now that is good stuff! I tried to give you some Positive feedback, but it said I had to spread it around before I could give you anymore. :)

~Tim

I did it for you. I thought it was great for him to do this also.

peace.

oooo pretty..

I just like to see shit taken apart. It's like seeing something blow up, only in a more organized less damaging way.
Maybe.

Superb job Rolf! Wish I could give you more rep points but the system won't allow me yet.

Same here, Rolf...gotta "spread it around" some more but you really do deserve it. Your pictoral and text instructions are just top notch. So helpful. Thanks for the example you set for community on the forum. ;)

Back