Vintage Shure

Thanks....done.

Like your web-site by the way.

Canuck land?
I grew up in detroit. Can't believe the wings got bounced right away again this year.
You guys have to be enjoying this.

Another possible obvious question

Tascam 488 question again.

Even though it has mic and line inputs, does the mic need separate power before the 488?

I know this is basic, but I really don't know.
I have a shure sm57, and a vintage shure 55s. Also a couple other cheap microphones. ( non-powered)

Can I place the 57 in front of an acoustic guitar and directly into the 488?
Seems like I have to turn the faders all the way up on the 8 track.

Mike I have never used a 488 but it should be like all the rest of the tascam cassette units. As for your faders are you turning up the trim controls at the top of the channel strip?
If you missed that set your fader to the 7 to 8 level, their should be a kinda area marked on the fader section for that, Kind of a grey area. This is the best spot to set your fader on recording, Then turn the trim level up or down to set the levels on your meters. Unless you get to much signal then you will need to turn the trim control all the way down(to the left) and lower you fader so the meters are reading a good signal that your machine and tape can handle.
As for the shure 55s no its not the best mic in the world for recording but play with it and try some differant things with it you never know what you might come up with and it just may sound good on some things.

I hope this makes sense and helps.Let us know how it goes. Happy Recording

Back