Very Cool Beatles & Stones isolated tracks

yeah thanks beatlefred!

that is pretty coool. I wish I could here more songs like this.

Classic! Some great insights and reality checks in there for us recordists.

I flat out love that voice break :)

Myths abound in rock history. And one of the great myths of the 60s is that the Beatles were sappy girl bait while the Stones were roughouse hard edged warriors playing hardcore rough edged blues that was altogether more adventurous, dangerous and rebellious. Funny, that. Almost from the start, church leaders came out against the Beatles, not so much the Stones. But whatever.
The point is that the Stones were just as much girl~bait. They were screamed and mobbed off every stage they played on from '64 to '67. When they went back on the road in '69, they were thrilled at two things, hippies didn't scream at them so much.....and stage monitors so they could hear themselves.
And their records of the 60s showed that they were a tremendously melodic band. They really were great songwriters. Melody, deep thought and literacy are not qualities usually associated either with young men or the Stones, but in their 60s heyday, their songs possessed all three by the truckload. And "Gimme Shelter" is no exception. They were sublime arrangers that took from all those around them to fashion great songs that have stood the test of time and will continue to do so long beyond when most of us have died out !

Back