Very basic questions

Milkfaj

I plan on putting together a pro-quality studio, but ive never worked with anything more complex than a four track, SM 57s and a Computer with cakewalk. Im planning on using a Tascam MS-16 or MSR-24 and a 16 or 24 channel Mackie Mixer. My main question is weather I plug my Mics into the Recorder first and then run it though the mixer for mixdown (this is what I assume to be the case) or if i go through the mixer first. If i plug into the recorder first, do I need a preamp for each mic or just for the ones i want to sound really good (i want to get a Shure KMS44 and a JoeMeek compressor/preamp) but to I need a seperate pre for all Five SM57s too? also, where to compressors fit in? do i run them in between the Mics and the recorder, or in the effects loop of the mixer?
please tell me what you think of this hypothetical setup. Any advice would be much apriciated. Im on a budget of about $8000 and I want to stay as analog as possible. thanks!

Go here:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=142912

and read my signal path description to see if that answers any of your questions.

You're going to need mic pres of some sort (either the mixer's or outboard) for each individual mic.

Think of a session in two modes: Tracking and Mixing.

Depending on the console you buy, inline or split, will determine how you approach tracking and montoring thru the same console.

On my inline console I plug a mic in, turn up the console's mic pre to desired level, send direct out (or group out) to the desired track on my recorder. Then a cable goes out from the recorder back to the same channel the mic was plugged in to but in the jack that says Monitor Input. On the channel strip I select "Monitor Tape" and I'm hearing the signal POST tape.

A split console will have a completely seperate monitor section on the console (usually on the right side of the console) seperate from the channel (mic/line) ins.

During a mix I have a few buttons on the console to press to enter "mix mode". I then add compression and whatnot during that time.

I like to record signals dry so any effects I want I do during mixing. On individual channels I use the "inserts" for compression/gating/etc. For verb/delay/etc I use the Aux sends of which is a seperate area on the console where any channel can be sent to an Aux buss, to an effect unit, and back to the console's effect return.

If you do want to use a compressor on a live mic you can either go from mic to mic pre to compressor to recorder or go from mic to console to channel insert (goes to a compressor TRS) to recorder. For clairification, some consoles have an effects loop (in/out) as opposed to a TRS channel insert. They route the same way internally but it's just a different way of hooking the component up (two 1/4" cabes for effects loop as opposed to a TRS y-cable for a channel/monitor insert).

I hope I didn't make that too confusing and there are different ways to say the same thing (all consoles are different regarding naming things). Let me know if you have any more questions.

-- Adam Lazlo

Thank you very much for the advice- that answered a lot of my questions.
So, an Inline Mixer has a seperate output jack for each chanel? would it be possible to get one for around $1000? any recomendations on brands? I need at least 16 tracks (also, what is the difference between a chanel and a track?)
thanks again!

Milkfaj said:
Thank you very much for the advice- that answered a lot of my questions.
So, an Inline Mixer has a seperate output jack for each chanel? would it be possible to get one for around $1000? any recomendations on brands? I need at least 16 tracks (also, what is the difference between a chanel and a track?)
thanks again!

Yes, as well as Split-line consoles have that. Although not all consoles have individual outs. There are a lot of variances dependent upon what the console is designed for. Some will require you to use the group/buss/sum out while others have individual channel outs.

Consoles for around $1000? I don't really know, I haven't explored much of what's out there within that price range these days. If you're looking used you might find some decent studio consoles within that range but most of those suffer in mic pres, EQ's, and components (lots of maintenance), plus they can be pretty large in size.

If you have access to a Guitar Center or alike I'd ask questions based on what you'd like to do. I'm sure plenty of other people on this message board will have good suggestions as well.

Good luck,
-- Adam Lazlo

P.S - A "channel" is associated with the console and "tracks" is associated with format multi-track machines (tape, DAW, etc). i.e. You'll hear that someone has a 24 channel console and a 24 track recorder... or so-and-so has a 16 channel console and an 8 track recorder... and so on... does that make sense?

Back