Using the spring reverb from a Fender twin reverb amp as an external effect

thethirdman111

Hi

Just wondering if and how you use the spring reverb from a fender twin as an external effect in terms of running it through a mixing desk. The amp does not have a fx loop so is this possible?

Cheers

Rob

Hi,

I suppose it's possible with a di/re-amp box, like Little Labs redeye.

http://www.littlelabs.com/redeye.html

Another option is to get a spring reverb rack, a cheap one like an old Furman or a expensive new one as the Demeter Real Reverb (two channels, sounds probably too good for low-fi).

Hi

Just wondering if and how you use the spring reverb from a fender twin as an external effect in terms of running it through a mixing desk. The amp does not have a fx loop so is this possible?

Cheers

Rob

Hi 3rd...
you'll probably already know that 'the sound' of springs is one thing, but the driver circuit/amp for those strings make the complete unit....by that I mean you may not like your Fender springs even if you got them working remotely, (out of the cabinet).
Is expense the issue here man?..or do you particularly like the sound of the springs you have? (which will probably sound terrible if driven by anything else other than your fender amp, at a guess, but it might be beautiful???):confused:

With the prices I've seen on Ebscam on various spring/digi reverbs, I'd be looking for a device that will supply you with the right interface for your desk.
Could save you a lot of noise.

But then again...you may want a particular sound or something that I don't!!!:)

Let us know how you get on!!

I've read about taking the vibrato channel output of a TR & connecting it to the normal channel of the amp so having the tone controls on that channel available. I think there was a resistor needed on the connector & a RCA- Jack adaptor.

You could just take the desk signal & send it to the amp vibrato channel & mic it up but there might / probably would be level problems & noise so you need an impedance converter to guitar output levels / direct box of some description.

I'd try a buffered (non true bypass) guitar pedal inline (FX turned off) for the desk output to the amp & then mic the amp up as normal, any old Boss or similar pedal would be OK

The LittleLabs Red Eye is good but expensive (It's a DI & Reamper) I bought one a couple of years back but there must be some cheaper solution out there for this?

Hi,
I've used my twin for vocal reverb plenty, i think it sounds great. I had great success using a Groove Tubes speaker Emulator in order to run the amp at line level, bypassing the speaker cab.
IMO the Speaker Emulator is overpriced (I was lucky enough to find one for $100 but they sell for $800 new), perhaps someone here can recommended a cheaper alternative?

I'd like to ask a semi-related question. I want to hear reverb while recording electric guitar, but I have too low of a latency to monitor reverb that comes from my DAW while tracking, and recording my amp's built in reverb is mono, which sounds shitty. Generally speaking, do most pros monitor an outboard reverb while recording electric guitar, do they actually record an amp's reverb, or do they just record it dry?

Back